GliderCENTRAL

about buying a glider from a pet shop

Posted By: Anonymous

about buying a glider from a pet shop - 03/08/08 04:30 AM

is it bad to buy a sugar glider from a pet shop if so how bad?
Posted By: Dancing

Re: about buying a glider from a pet shop - 03/08/08 04:34 AM

It isn't always bad. However, many pet stores get their gliders from glider mills. I see you are in Houston so there is a very good chance that your local pet stores did get their gliders from a mill. By buying from the pet stores, like with the trade shows and flea markets, it supports the mills and helps keep them in business.

If you are getting a pet only glider and not planning on breeding, then there is definately less of a problem.

If you did get your glider from a pet store, you most likely do not have any real history about the glider and the glider's family tree (lineage). Such as who the parents are and what if any posible health issues there may be. So breeding pet store gliders (or any mill gliders) is strongly discouraged.

Gliders from pet stores can be just as loving as any other glider and they definately deserve love as much.
Posted By: Trigger

Re: about buying a glider from a pet shop - 03/08/08 04:39 AM

Did you or are you thinking of buying from S&S exotics?

Re: about buying a glider from a pet shop - 03/08/08 04:39 AM

we will be sure to give her as much love she wants and needs thanks

Re: about buying a glider from a pet shop - 03/08/08 04:40 AM

we bought her from mylas pet shop
Posted By: glidergrl1513

Re: about buying a glider from a pet shop - 03/08/08 04:43 AM

In most cases, I am strongly against buying a sugar glider from a pet store. They are often unsocialized and require a lot of work (therefore opening up a lot of problems, including people who buy them on impulse and then "get rid" of them because they are "mean"). Most pet stores buy from questionable sources - particularly those in TX. Although I would love to save them all, buying a glider from a store that gets their gliders from mills is only helping the problem continue. Breeding is also a VERY bad idea if you buy from a pet shop.

Why not look for a rescue? There are plenty in TX and they can make GREAT pets (good rescue homes will not pair you up with a glider you cannot handle).

Re: about buying a glider from a pet shop - 03/08/08 04:47 AM

what kind of rescue places can iget one n tx or where can i find the rescue places on the internet? well we hated seeing that glider in the pet shop so we bought her shes really adorable
Posted By: Dancing

Re: about buying a glider from a pet shop - 03/08/08 04:52 AM

Mary and Charlie Holcomb are rescuers in the Houston area. Their website is http://www.angelfire.com/tx/glidertree/

I don't know what gliders they might have available but they are there on the west side of Houston and they are terrific. You could learn so much just by visiting with them for an hour or two.

Mary won't set you up with a glider you can't handle and will be there 24/7 if you have questions or problems.
Posted By: blockamon

Re: about buying a glider from a pet shop - 03/08/08 04:55 AM

I know what you mean. It's hard to see gliders in a pet store and NOT want to rescue them.

First thing...promptly forget everything the store told you about gliders and how to care for them. You can read up here and find out all you need to know. Just ask if you have questions.

A wellness check at the vet would also be a good idea. In addition to making sure the glider is well, it also gives you a chance to "interview" the vet before you REALLY need them. When you call asking "Do you treat sugar gliders?" and the person answering the phone says "Sugar what...?", keep looking.

Re: about buying a glider from a pet shop - 03/08/08 04:57 AM

My belief is if you are going to buy an animal; you should do it for the love of the animal and that you should consider who you are supporting with your money.
Posted By: Trigger

Re: about buying a glider from a pet shop - 03/08/08 04:59 AM

Teresa is correct Mary H is one of the best people around the Houston area.
I know it is hard not to take those babies home from the pet shop or the flea markets here in Houston. I just have to remind myself that that small upfront cost for that precious baby may turn into HUGE vet bills because they don't breed right or care for them adequately.

Re: about buying a glider from a pet shop - 03/08/08 05:02 AM

of course we love sugar gliders thats why we hate 2 see them in the pet shop and blockman yea thnkz this website helped us alot and dancing thnks for giving us the website we'll be sure to look at that but we are going to find some place thats near the southeast if theres any
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL