GliderCENTRAL

Vacation Question

Posted By: Anonymous

Vacation Question - 03/24/08 11:51 PM

Hi all,

My First post and its a crazy one.

Well I have had my glider (Sam) for about two weeks now and the bonding process is going great, he no longer bites, and goes right into my hand. Also only minimal crabbing at the first hello of the day.

Ok, so April 11/12(Fri/Sat) I am leaving for a road trip from NY to Orlando Florida. I am returning on April 18th (Friday Morning). Now, My father is more then happy to feed and take care of Sam everyday (although he wont play with him). I was wondering, is it possible to bring Sam with me? And maybe bring a smaller like 1x1x1 cage for him to sleep in at the hotel and let him roam around the room at night (I would of course glider proof the room). Or would this be too stressful?

I am also worried that during that time he will "un-bond" with me. frown frown I love him too much!

So I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks a lot!
I have read mixed things on traveling with gliders.
Posted By: Jennifer_Maaske

Re: Vacation Question - 03/24/08 11:59 PM

I wouldn't let him roam the hotel room, to many hidden things you could miss.

I have however many times given the hotel bathroom to my gliders...Just be VERY careful to proof it...especially making sure the toilet area is safe. not all hotel bathrooms can be proofed enough though.

or you could buy a rept, that tares down to basically nothing and can then be stored for the trip...same goes with a pop up dog kennel.

Re: Vacation Question - 03/25/08 12:05 AM

I would buy a travel cage of some sort. Kara has some great ones that she customizes. My son left his glider for that long and when he got back he was a total [censored] and still is. That is not to say all gliders are that way...I have left Lilly and Duke ( he is new to me) and they are both fine when I get back.

Re: Vacation Question - 03/25/08 12:08 AM

We just got back from vacation with my three girls. One of them I just got two weeks ago. They did get a little stressed after the second night and didn't eat near as much as they usually do. I kept most of their cage covered with a fleece blanket to calm them, although I wish I would have started the blanket thing a few day before I left so it would have had the smell of home on the blankets. I also put in new toys and plus some old ones so they would have something a little new and exciting plus a little comfort of home. I didn't let mine out except in the bonding pouch because I was afraid they may get away or catch something from a previous animal that was there. I also took lots of breaks on the drive there and back and offered lots of fresh fruit (with a high water content) and water so they wouldn't get dehydrated (especially since they didn't eat well the night before) I hope this helps and good luck

Re: Vacation Question - 03/25/08 12:44 AM

You can use a pop up dog kennel like http://www.target.com/SportPet-Large-Professional-Dog-Kennel/dp/B000NJCWH2/sr=1-1/qid=1206405399/ref=sr_1_1/601-9007174-4339331?ie=UTF8&pricerange=&index=target&field-browse=1038602&rh=k%3Adog%2Cn%3A3010161&page=1

Or a bigger reptarium... just however big you want to go.

Re: Vacation Question - 03/25/08 02:19 AM

Thanks soo much for the quick responses guys!!!!!

I am soo happy to hear you recommend taking them. I think I like that popup dog kennel from target.

I was just more concerned about them being stressed from the drive (about 17 hours, but its gonna be over 2 days).

YAY!!!

smile

I guess I should check with the hotel if I can bring a pet smile otherwise ill need to rebook.

EDIT:: Just called the hotel and its $25 + $10 a day. Seems kinda crazy, but ill pay it anyway, I would have a miserable time if Sam wasnt with me.
Some pictures of Sam in my .Mac gallery

Re: Vacation Question - 03/26/08 02:08 AM

I just want to make sure, he wont get sick from the car ride right?

Im so nervous about him

Posted By: glidergrl1513

Re: Vacation Question - 03/26/08 08:40 PM

He shouldn't get sick, but he may be stressed out. Just be sure to travel while he's sleeping and don't wash the pouches and toys you are bringing for him for a few days (so they smell familiar).
Posted By: bugsmama

Re: Vacation Question - 03/26/08 08:57 PM

I've taken my gliders on road trips from Tennessee to south Mississippi and to Gatlinburg, and they did fine. I travel during the day, they sleep. When I'd stop I would offer them treats and water, but they didn't care in the least. I use the pop up kennel also, it's great. I put some fleece at the bottom, use fleece strips to tie their water bottle and wheel to the mesh sides, and use clips to hang a couple toys, and their pouch to the other mesh sides. Walmart has (and I'm sure other places do to, lol) paper plates in the shape of animals, the ears are seperate compartments. They are called Zoo something or other. I put their fruits/veggies in the big portion, and their ensure(I feed the darcy's diet) in the smaller portioned spots and just throw the plates away in the morning. I usually just take a brand new ensure bottle and buy fruits and veggies when I get where I'm going. and just throw what's left over away when I leave to come home. Good luck! My babies don't mind traveling at all...

Re: Vacation Question - 03/27/08 03:07 AM

I really cant thank you guys enough for all the information. It has really been stressing me out.

smile smile smile
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL