GliderCENTRAL

need a small, chewproof, cheap carrier

Posted By: sweetReaper

need a small, chewproof, cheap carrier - 06/07/08 07:17 PM

I need to find a nice small, chewproof travel carrier to use on an overnight car trip to Florida. I literally only have the space on top of my lap. I have a carrier at the moment but it is too small for my baby alone nevermind the little girl I will be getting very soon. I know that my little girl will be trying very hard to escape due to the fact that she will be cooped up during her usual playtime. I have put her in a small Super Pets carrier before and she chewed right through the screening. I know that the trip is going to be a stressful one for her so I need to make it as stress-free as I possibly can. If anybody knows a nice carrier that would fit my needs please let me know, I would really appreciate it. I will be leaving in about 3 weeks on my trip.
Posted By: BCChins

Re: need a small, chewproof, cheap carrier - 06/07/08 07:22 PM

Try asking Anita of Attic Works. I think she makes a cage called the Day Tripper. She might be able to make you a wire cage for the trip.

Re: need a small, chewproof, cheap carrier - 06/07/08 08:01 PM

Thanks, I emailed her asking if she could help me out. If anybody else has ideas please get back to me! All replies will be greatly appreciated!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: need a small, chewproof, cheap carrier - 06/07/08 09:48 PM

a small parakeet cage might me an idea if nothing else. That is what I use for vet trips
Posted By: Dazzle

Re: need a small, chewproof, cheap carrier - 06/07/08 10:13 PM

There is a plastic-bottomed wire carrier that some people slip into the super pet carriers. I have one and it is wonderful for short trips. They cannot chew out or slip out the bars (very small bar spacing).

Posted By: Dancing

Re: need a small, chewproof, cheap carrier - 06/07/08 10:49 PM

I have small parakeet/finch cages that I use. We, at All4Gliders, also use them when we are railroading rescues when we can. There is enough room for them to get out and go potty, play with a toy or two and also has little food dishes that fit in the little side doors. While not intended as "travel" cages, such as in extended stays, they are great for actual travel time. Sad thing too is they are actually larger than what the mill breeders use for permenant cages for their "stock" gliders.

These are basically what I have but mine are in different colors. I buy them in groups of 10 and do have some available but this is a pretty good price for just one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fancy-Flat-Top-Bird-...1QQcmdZViewItem
Posted By: Guerita135

Re: need a small, chewproof, cheap carrier - 06/07/08 11:05 PM

Petco or Petsmart should have some small wire cages in the small animal section. Or you could use a plastic dog carrier. I used one(just for in the car, I brought a bigger cage too) when driving to NC in case they decided to come out and see what was going on. It worked fine and I got it at PetSmart for just $12.

Re: need a small, chewproof, cheap carrier - 06/08/08 02:46 AM

Thanks guys for all the great ideas! I think I may have seen the little wire carrier that slips into the super pet one at Petco. But to be sure do you have a picture? I think the one I saw had a blue plastic bottom and white bars (rounded top). If this is the one you were telling me about I had no idea it could be slipped into the super pet carrier. That's pretty cool though! I am just so worried because the trip will be so long. I know that my baby will be alright during the daytime but I am not so sure about the whole overnight thing. Another problem of mine is that I am pretty much poor at the moment lol. And I will have two babies traveling with me so I do need to make sure there is extra space. I will be going to PetSmart and Petco tomorrow to check things out smile
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: need a small, chewproof, cheap carrier - 06/08/08 06:37 PM

Petsmart and Petco both have small $10 bird cages that would work well wink
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: need a small, chewproof, cheap carrier - 06/09/08 02:56 AM

Personally, I'd go with the smal bird cage versus getting the wire insert for your Super Pet carrier.

Because....you'd be sending about the same amount of money for the bird cage versus the insert; your babies might feel a little less "paranoid" about the small space available; AND you could give it to All4Gliders when you're done if you don't want to keep it after your trip is over.

I had someone give me one of those inserts...I wasn't impressed with it or the carrier either. So now the 2 parts serve as a "mealie dish" for my one colony & a ball pit for another cage.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL