GliderCENTRAL

Adoption questionnaire?

Posted By: zookeeper18

Adoption questionnaire? - 01/10/09 06:43 AM

I need to do an adoption questionnaire. Does anyone have one that I might look at? Possibly even use ideas from? I want to screen potential owners better. I have gotten very lucky so far. Just want be careful.
Posted By: konotashi

Re: Adoption questionnaire? - 01/10/09 06:47 AM

I wouldn't put it directly on your site or give it over the internet. I would just keep the list of questions printed on a sheet of paper or something and then have them call and THEN ask the questions. It's so easy to just google all of the answers.... But that's just my opinion....
But no, I don't have a questionnaire. I'm sure there's a bunch of other people that do, though. smile
Posted By: BindiAndScrubbie

Re: Adoption questionnaire? - 01/10/09 06:49 AM

Just recently, a link was posted here to a questionairre...I tried searching for it but didn't find it. Sorry, I tried. It was within this week though, that it was posted it...if that helps.
Posted By: CSteele

Re: Adoption questionnaire? - 01/10/09 06:53 AM

I will usually just have a bunch of questions that I ask and then point them in the direction of GC.

Then I have them call me back if they still are interested in being owned by sugars laugh

Re: Adoption questionnaire? - 01/10/09 08:19 AM

I was thinking along the same lines. With my other joeys I didn't have one so I did ask some necessary questions and pointed them here. read All joeys went to great homes, I check in often. thumb So, I guess your gut is the best judge still! It's kinda hard to "feel" a person out on the net though. May just rack up a phone bill to get one on one with some wannabe owners!
Posted By: konotashi

Re: Adoption questionnaire? - 01/10/09 08:23 AM

That's why you talk to them on the phone. lol
It's so much easier to see a personality in a voice than a few typed words. grin
Or you could go on webcam and microphones on an instant messenger! roflmao
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Adoption questionnaire? - 01/10/09 12:11 PM

There is an adoption questionaire on the All4Gliders site that all are welcome to use. It is designed to not only see what the person knows but to act as a sort of study guide for them as well.

When we place rescues, the application is just step one. This is followed by phone calls and such.

Adoption Application
Posted By: Bourbon

Re: Adoption questionnaire? - 01/10/09 04:25 PM

also the knowledge questionnaire is great for breeders to use, to help new owners have a "direction" for their research, for many years we have told people to research and people do.. but after we talk to them it isn't some of the things that are needed, so the application gives a "direction for that.

zookeeper, if you do use that application for your personal, you can modify and change things to suit your situation specifically.
Posted By: gliderma

Re: Adoption questionnaire? - 01/10/09 04:26 PM

I can't get it to work????

Re: Adoption questionnaire? - 01/10/09 04:31 PM

gliderma i sent you a pm
Posted By: gliderma

Re: Adoption questionnaire? - 01/10/09 04:32 PM

never mind! just copied it to word Thank you!
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Adoption questionnaire? - 01/10/09 04:32 PM

It doesn't work for me either. It says "Page Not Found".

Re: Adoption questionnaire? - 01/10/09 04:46 PM

here is the knowledge questions, anyone think of anything to add (other than a neutering section, since dancing is working on that) it will be considered
This can be used as a guide to assist your basic research.

Glider Knowledge Questionnaire

Physiology

1. What is the scientific name for sugar glider?

2. How many days is a female pregnant?

3. How many days (approximately) are the joeys in pouch?

4. At what age do joeys wean from their mother's milk?

5. If you see two red worm-like structures protruding out of a sugar glider's cloacae (anus), what are you looking at?

6. What causes a bald spot to appear on the male sugar glider's head?

7. At about what age do males sexually mature?

8. At about what age do females sexually mature?

Dietary

9. What diet do you feel is best for sugar gliders and why?

10. What is the recommended calcium to phosphorus ratio (ca:P) and why is it important?

11. What are foods that gliders should never have?

12. Why are bugs an important element in a glider's diet?

13. How often and at what time of the day do gliders need to be fed?

Health

14. What is the average life span of a healthy captive raised sugar glider?

15. When and how often should you take your glider to the vet?

16.How does a harness/leash pose danger to sugar gliders?

17. What are signs/symptoms of an ill glider?

18. What is HLP, what are the symptoms and what are the possible causes?

19. What does hissing while urinating possibly indicate?

20. What is SM and what are some of the reasons this may occur?

21. If you suspect your glider is SM, what is the first thing you should do?

22. Why should new gliders be quarantined (kept separate) from other gliders and for how long?

23. Can sugar gliders die from stress?

24. Why do gliders need to have their nails trimmed and how often might this need to be done?

25. Should their teeth ever need to be clipped or floated?

26. How much money should you have set aside in case emergency treatment becomes necessary?

27. What are some of the reasons a female might cannibalize her own joeys?

Housing

28. What is the minimum recommended size cage for two gliders?

29. What materials would be safe for glider cages to be made out of?

30. What cage material should not be used and why?

31. What type of fabric are most cage accessories made of and what are the potential problems with using the wrong type of fabric?

32. How often should the cage and accessories be cleaned?

33. How often should you clean the drop tray/change the bedding?

34. What is NOT safe to use as bedding and why?

35. What type of wheels are considered unsafe for gliders and why?

36. . Where is the best location in your home for your glider's cage?

Socialization and introductions

37. How much time does a glider need during the day for bonding?

38. How much out of cage play time does a glider need and how often?

39. Do gliders do better as singles or in pairs/multiples?

40. Why is it important to keep non-neutered males separated from each other?

41. Why should you not put an adult male in with a young female?

42. What is the best way to introduce two gliders to each other?

43. What time do gliders normally wake up wanting to play?

44. Do gliders make good pets for young children? Why or why not?

The What If's

While you do not need to provide these answers, you should consider them.

45. What if you have to move to a state where they are illegal?

46. What if you have to move for work or school?

47. What if you and your spouse decide to have a baby? Will you still be able to dedicate the time to the gliders they need?

48. What if your glider gets sick and you don't have enough money for the vet?

49. What if you find yourself facing life changes that will make glider ownership no longer possible? While we hope it never happens, who will take the gliders?

50. What if you find out that gliders are just not the right companion animal for you?

51. What if you decide to go on vacation and can not take your gliders with you?

Re: Adoption questionnaire? - 01/10/09 04:48 PM

we encourage breeders to also use this questionairre in preparing their new homes for gliders, it doesn't take away from the breeders/owners responsibility of education, but it sure helps a lot
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Adoption questionnaire? - 01/10/09 05:29 PM

The adoption application is a great learning tool for anyone who is already, or who wants to be, a suggie momma!

At first, I was a little intimidated by the length of the application but, after I printed out a copy and started filling in the blanks I realized I didn't know everything I needed to know about gliders. It was a good learning experience for me and, as I did the research I soaked in some great information that without the application I probably would have never known.

There are key questions on the application that every suggie owner should know. I have used some of the information with my own sugar gliders several times over the course of the last few days! I keep a printed copy of the application, with all the answers filled in, at my finger tips and, if a question pops into my head, or someone askes a question, I have the answers right there in front of me! Thanks for reading! Best of Luck!

Wanda F
Posted By: sweetheart26

Re: Adoption questionnaire? - 01/10/09 06:39 PM

it will not work for me..:( ether

Re: Adoption questionnaire? - 01/10/09 06:51 PM

The only thing wrong with that questionaire is that you can look every answer up on google roflmao

Re: Adoption questionnaire? - 01/10/09 06:57 PM

I just double clicked on the words adoption application in the post above and it took me to the all4gliders website.
There I just clicked on application and it opened up for me.

I also just highlighted the words and clicked open and it took me to the same website where I double clicked on application and it opened up for me.

Another thing you can do is highlight the entire application and click copy on the pull down menu then close this website and paste the entire application into a
new e-mail in your e-mail box. After you fill the application out you can then e-mail it to whomever you wish. Hope this helps!

Wanda F

Re: Adoption questionnaire? - 01/10/09 07:16 PM

Sure, you can look it up on Google, but you can also look it up here on GC and, as you look up the answers to the questions you don't already know, you can retain the information thus making it a learning process! I would assume that most people who want to be "suggie mommas" will want to learn all they can about gliders.

Having a printed copy of the questions and answers just gives me all the information in one place so that, if an emergency does come up, time is not wasted by having to search for the answers on the internet. A few minutes of time can make a difference in life or death for the glider.

I'm glad this subject has come up! Thanks!

Wanda F
Posted By: sweetheart26

Re: Adoption questionnaire? - 01/10/09 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: wandaf
I just double clicked on the words adoption application in the post above and it took me to the all4gliders website.
There I just clicked on application and it opened up for me.

I also just highlighted the words and clicked open and it took me to the same website where I double clicked on application and it opened up for me.

Another thing you can do is highlight the entire application and click copy on the pull down menu then close this website and paste the entire application into a
new e-mail in your e-mail box. After you fill the application out you can then e-mail it to whomever you wish. Hope this helps!

Wanda F
thanks it help;)

Re: Adoption questionnaire? - 01/10/09 08:20 PM

Wow! What a questionnaire! It is seriously thorough! I agree though, even if googled you still learn. I always stress GC is the learning place. Especially in emergency situations for quick response. Thanks for all the input!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL