GliderCENTRAL

Human cancer patients and gliders?

Posted By: Usha77

Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/02/09 04:34 PM

Is there any reason that gliders need to be kept away from people going through cancer treatment (chemo, radiation, etc...)?
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/02/09 04:43 PM

No, there is not. I'm sure there are times the patient will feel weak and not able to take care of the gliders as usual so a second person will be needed for this, however, many times the gliders will be a great comfort during treatment.

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/02/09 05:12 PM

Thank you! I got yelled at by a few people for letting Eugene play with my mom yesterday, so I was wondering if there was reason for people to yell at me. I knew there were at least a few people with gliders who have gone through cancer treatment, so I thought they'd be the best ones to ask. laugh "Grandma" will be happy to know that she can keep playing with my babies whenever she wants.
Posted By: Laurens_Babies

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/02/09 05:25 PM

Brenda what was their reasoning for them yelling at you? I'm just curious.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/02/09 05:31 PM

Brenda, cancer treatments can lower the persons immune system making them vunerable to infection. My guess is that either 1. the docs have no clue about gliders and only heard the "exotic animal" part leading them to think of "exotic" bacterias/parasites. Infection was a concern of the doctors when my mother was going through her treatments.

Or 2. they are clueless how gentle and empathetic gliders can be. I know my gliders read my moods and respond accordingly. They (well, most of them) tend to be more cuddly when I need it or more hyper and silly to make me laugh when I need it.

3. just don't think she should be around any animals (due to the compromise to her immune system).

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/02/09 05:34 PM

Because of the low immune system issues with treatment. I think the same reason my mom is not allowed to clean her cats' litter boxes while going through treatment. Then again, the people who yelled at me (my brother & a coworker of ours) don't really like my gliders and think I'm crazy for having them. frown

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/02/09 05:36 PM

Yeah, the doctors haven't said anything to my mom, but they don't know that she sometimes visits my gliders. But, they know she has cats and it's only the litter box she has to stay away from... dunno
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/02/09 05:40 PM

Cat litter boxes are nasty. Can't remember what it is but pregnant women aren't supposed to clean cat litter boxes either (it's been so long since I've had cats). I can understand the docs telling her not to clean the litter pans.

It has been proven that animals can help people overcome illnesses. If you are concerned, you could talk to her doc about the gliders and get their input. My guess is, if their only concern about the cat is the litter box, then I'm betting they won't have a problem with the gliders.

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/02/09 05:44 PM

Thanks! laugh
Posted By: Msdoolittle

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/02/09 05:46 PM

I think Toxoplasmosis gondii can be found in cat litter boxes,as well as other parasites.

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/02/09 05:53 PM

Thanks, Miss lab tech! wink Now I have to google Toxoplasmosis gondii...
Posted By: Msdoolittle

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/02/09 05:58 PM

You're welcome! I'm sure playing with your gliders helps your mom take her mind of things for a little bit.

I'm straining my brain, but I think it's a coccidia.
Posted By: ozzi

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/02/09 06:06 PM

I think it would do your Mom a world of good to be able to keep visiting and playing with your gliders if there are no health concerns for her and it seems there aren't.
How is your Mom doing? Say hi for me.
You are both in my prayers angel

Pat, Boo-Boo, and BJ
Posted By: Judie

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/02/09 06:41 PM

I was a cancer patient many years ago and on Chemo. Risk of possible infection is a concern and also healing is slow.

So, make sure the nails of the gliders are cliped short so not to scratch her skin. Also, she needs to wash her skin with a good antibacterial soap when finished playing with them.

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/02/09 06:46 PM

Thank you! hug2

Pat, my mom's doing really good (so far). I'll let her know you said hi. We're probably heading to Olive Garden sometime this week (hopefully she still won't be having any side effects by that time!). grin
Posted By: saturngirl

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/02/09 06:49 PM

Hi Brenda

Rodney's(my fiance)mom just found out she has breast cancer and she'll be having her 3rd session of chemo tomorrow. Her doctor told her that she had to get rid of her cat. So, she was going to take him to the pound but my mom lives near her and took her kitty in until she can have him back.

How's your mom doing with the chemo Brenda. Rodney's mom actually hasn't gotten sick from them but is tired for a few days afterwards.

I think animals can lift a person's mood. smile I don't see the gliders being a problem.

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/02/09 06:55 PM

Thanks, Tara. The doctors only told my mom she had to stay away from the litter boxes - thank goodness! I know that it's a different kind of chemo for breast cancer than for colorectal cancer, so maybe that's why the doctor said she couldn't have her cat at all? The doctors think that my mom won't really feel any side effects for another week or two, if then (the chemo is a continuous drip - 24/7 for 6 weeks and I guess it'll take some time for it to build up in her system?) But, they gave her a prescription for compazine, just in case!
Posted By: ozzi

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/02/09 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Usha77
Thank you! hug2

Pat, my mom's doing really good (so far). I'll let her know you said hi. We're probably heading to Olive Garden sometime this week (hopefully she still won't be having any side effects by that time!). grin

Oh YUM!!!! Wish I was going to be there too :O)
Have a bread stick for me and the boy's -LOL!!!

Pat, Boo-Boo, and BJ

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/03/09 12:21 AM

We will! laugh I'll make sure to get pics, too! lol
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/03/09 01:12 AM

My best friend had leukemia and in 2004 she would come to my house specifically to be around the animals. She would reach in and grab a suggie (lovingly of course) just for the positive effects of touch and love and all of the things we have them for...only for her it was theraputic. She would wear long sleeves, and I always had soap and water handy. I also kept neosporin on hand in case there were any accidental scratches. The doctor saw an improvement simply in her attitude every time she came here (she was closer to MD Anderson when she came to my place versus her hom). So I say, as long as it is a positive experience... GO FOR IT!!!
Posted By: saturngirl

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/03/09 01:34 AM

Yum, I love me some Olive Garden smile Have a great time!

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/03/09 02:01 AM

Thank you both! hug2
Posted By: Feather

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/04/09 03:55 AM

Besides your mom haveing a compromised immune system during and after Chemo I would be worried about the gliders getting sick from being on your mom and then cleaning themselves. Your mom is going to perspire Chemo meds.

Also just a note, when my mom had Chemo her line came apart and a couple drops of Chemo got on the carpet, they send a Hazmat team in full gear to clean it. It is very toxic.

I hope your mom is doing well, hang in there girl.

Re: Human cancer patients and gliders? - 03/04/09 04:06 AM

Thank you!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL