GliderCENTRAL

The term "sugar Bear"

Posted By: PintoLady09

The term "sugar Bear" - 05/04/10 01:46 AM

Is there anywhere in history, that the sugar glider was ever reffered to as a sugar "bear"? Other than PPP of course...

My hubby and I were talking about it b/c I was correcting some people on CL and hubby said that I should do my research before sticking my head out on a limb.
Posted By: eterrell84

Re: The term "sugar Bear" - 05/04/10 03:35 AM

flying squirrel, sugar bear, sugar babies.... these are all very common for people who DONT actually have a sugar glider! lol....
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: The term "sugar Bear" - 05/04/10 03:38 AM

I have heard that kinkajous are sometimes called sugar bears, and if you read Peggy's post about PPP, she says they say gliders are called sugar bears in Russia and China, but that is all I know (have read).

Re: The term "sugar Bear" - 05/04/10 03:53 AM

oh thats interesting!
Posted By: Dancing

Re: The term "sugar Bear" - 05/04/10 06:59 AM

I wonder how we could verify that "russia/china" claim? Or if it is just a PPP "excuse".
Posted By: Dancing

Re: The term "sugar Bear" - 05/04/10 07:18 AM

I've been searching and can not find a single reference to "sugar bears" in Russia or China.

Closest I've found is "there is no set Russian name for sugar gliders -- they are called (dwarf marsupial glider), (sugar flying possum) or even (short-headed marsupial squirrel)." Nothing about "sugar bears"
Posted By: Kozi

Re: The term "sugar Bear" - 05/04/10 08:46 AM

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that China or Japan refered to them as sugar bears, possibly Australia.. I'm not sure, my brain isn't too useful. ):
Posted By: Paani

Re: The term "sugar Bear" - 05/04/10 12:48 PM

I had a Canadian call my gliders "sugar babies" after he saw some of my pictures of them (have never met the guy, only know him through an online forum).
Posted By: Meg_n_Von

Re: The term "sugar Bear" - 05/04/10 09:32 PM

I've been wondering this too... smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: The term "sugar Bear" - 05/04/10 09:57 PM

I have a really close friend in Japan, and she has always called them sugar bears... And my dad has friends in Australia who call them sugar bears. He has been doing online flying with these guys for years and they talk about their sugar bears crawling on them and such. So yeah.. Just putting my personal experience in.

Re: The term "sugar Bear" - 05/04/10 10:03 PM

i haved heard of (MAYBE i think, australia) calling them sugar possums....
Posted By: PintoLady09

Re: The term "sugar Bear" - 05/04/10 11:19 PM

This is all very interesting!!!
Posted By: Marz

Re: The term "sugar Bear" - 05/05/10 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: hdgliderslave
I have a really close friend in Japan, and she has always called them sugar bears... And my dad has friends in Australia who call them sugar bears. He has been doing online flying with these guys for years and they talk about their sugar bears crawling on them and such. So yeah.. Just putting my personal experience in.

I live in Australia and at the risk of making me sound ancient, I first became involved with sugar gliders here 40 years ago and never ever in all that time from then to now, have I ever heard sugar gliders referred to as sugar bears in Australia. Koala bears yes but not sugar gliders. I have three 6ft bookshelves full of every sort of printed information available on sugar gliders and marsupials and again no mention of sugar bears in these either as it simply is not an australian term. They have been nicknamed a lot of other things but not bears and maybe your dad's friends picked the term up recently off the internet not from Australia itself
Posted By: Marz

Re: The term "sugar Bear" - 05/05/10 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: eterrell84
i haved heard of (MAYBE i think, australia) calling them sugar possums....

Sugar gliders have been called officially the following here in Australia at one time or another.

Sugar Squirrel,
Lesser Flying Squirrel,
Lesser Glider,
Lesser Flying Phalanger
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: The term "sugar Bear" - 05/08/10 08:45 PM

I happened to think that maybe the reason we can't find 'sugar bear' references from Russia and China is because we are looking for it in English. Now mind you, I CAN NOT read Chinese or Russian, but doing a basic translation of sugar bear to each language there are a LOT of references to the search text in Chinese. dunno

I put the characters in quotes and here is the results page;
http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=%22%E7%B3%96%E7%86%8A%22&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS306US306&ie=UTF-8
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL