GliderCENTRAL

For your glider/s, answer this......

Posted By: suggiemom1980

For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/12/10 11:58 PM

What you would do if you had a glider medical emergency and your glider HAD to go to the vet, or else it would suffer horribly and possibly die?

A glider, who is suffering and/or dying, doesn't understand not being able to get medical treatment, due to lack of finances or not having a vet to go to.

If you don't have an emergency vet fund (or any vet fund at all) and/or don't have a vet, it's not too late to start doing something about it.

For vets:
Ask for a list of gliders in your area. I have every state.
Ask for recommendations from other glider owners.
Have a minimum of two vets!
Make sure at least one vet, will take emergencies. Gliders seem to need an emergency vet the most, at night, on weekends and during the holidays!
Make sure the vet you choose, will see your glider in an emergency. Some vets won't see any animal unless it's an established patient.

For a vet fund:
Have a yard sale. Now is the best time of year to clean out the closet, basement or attic!
Learn how to make glider safe toys and pouches and sell them for extra cash.
Have a Mystery Box on critterbin.
From your paycheck, have a set amount put into a GLIDER ONLY bank account.
Apply for a credit card, to be used just for gliders.
Apply for Care Credit, before you need it.
Buy generic, instead of name brand, esp with prescriptions. If you join Triple A, not only will you get four roadside assistance calls per year, you'll also get discounts on prescriptions at Walmart, along with other discounts.
Carpool to work or take public transportation.
Eat at home instead of eating out. It's cheaper and healthier!
Use the barter system. I can't sew but I can make toys, so I might make a toy for someone who can sew, but not make toys, in exchange for a pouch.
Pay your vet a little bit each month, or each vet visit, and build up a credit, if your vet will allow you to.
Be creative in ways you can cut back on your expenses and make it a challenge! I bet you'd find tons of ways to save and/or make money!

How about it? Any more ideas to make emergency vet fund money?

Posted By: WintersSong

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/13/10 12:05 AM

Get rid of cable and use netflicks or something similar instead!

If you're like me, you find that you're watching the same shows over and over again.. For me, it's Grey's Anatomy, Modern Family, Monk, and Everybody Loves Raymond..along with a few others. Most of these shows I am able to watch online for free (a day or two after the episodes air on cable) and the ones that I'm not? I can buy seasons CHEAP on half.com. Yeah, they're used, but I've never had a problem. Anyway, it's cheaper to me to buy the seasons that I watch again and again and again, then it is for me to pay for cable. Or, I can rent most of them from NetFlick.

Movies - I pay, I think it is $9 a month for netflick, which to be honest, I could do without if need be.

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/13/10 12:09 AM

Also, I would recommend having an "in case of emergency" call list.

My incase of emergency list consists of a few glider central members in the area, all of which have given me their permission to use their numbers if need be. This doesn't help so much with vet bills, but it is a good idea to have.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/13/10 12:25 AM

I buy alot at thrift stores and keep money in savings just in case. Last vet visit was almost $400 so glad I had it.

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/13/10 12:32 AM

nice tips!!!!!! being a student i dont have tons and tons of spending money! and this would so help if there ever was an emergancy!

also on hulu.com you can stream tv shows instanly free!

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/13/10 12:34 AM

These are great suggestions! I like the yard sell idea! Might do that one myself.

It is VERY important to have some money for vet emergencies. You don't need to go bankrupt putting back thousands of dollars, but it is a great idea to save a little here and there when you can and put it in a safe place where no one will spend it. In no time your glider account will grow and you will be glad you have it!

Great post, suggiemom_1980!
Posted By: Meg_n_Von

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/13/10 01:12 AM

These are all greats tips... wink
Posted By: hwh4ev

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/13/10 01:27 AM

i am slowly building my vet fund every week. after sugars'
bout with an abcess over her eye that came back 4 times in the last year and a half( which wiped out my fund) i found out real fast how expensive all the tests, treatment, etc. add up. thank god it has not come back yet for 2 whole months.

regards,
nancy in detroit
p.s. wanted to add my sugars' first visit for the abcess was over 400.00. so be aware everybody it is expenive. sugars' vet bills are well over 600.00 to date.

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/13/10 03:27 AM

It's recommended to have a minimum of $500 per glider, for an emergency vet fund. But, as Nancy points out, one emergency can wipe out a vet fund. I spent over $800 within two months, on two gliders. It would have been more than that, but I already had antibiotics and pain meds in my emergency kit. Depending on the emergency, the vet bill can be shocking. If it's an after normal business hours visit, the amount will probably be doubled, if not tripled.

Gliders can, and do, survive horrible injuries and illnesses IF they receive immediate emergency vet care from a glider experienced vet. It's our responsibility to do our part, to get them the care they need.

You know, this goes for all of our furry, feathered or scaly, family members. They can't take care of themselves.
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/13/10 04:19 AM

I accidentally had to spend roughly $2000 for my cat last year. That pretty much WIPED my vet fund - and all other funds!

But - I did apply for Care Credit. I am more comfortable having a special emergency card that I will ONLY use for the vets. I am still trying to pay off the cards from that financial hardship ... But I've made sure to pay off my Care Credit, because right now, that's all I have to rely on for the animals!

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/13/10 04:37 AM

Impulse buys - I am guilty of those! It's so easy, when you are filling up at the gas station, to just go in and buy a soda and some chips, because you're thirsty right then or you want an afternoon snack. BUT the same bottle of soda and chips is SO much less at the grocery store, in packages of 12 and 24 than the $2.50 extra at the gas station. It's about planning ahead there.

In college, I had literally a shoestring budget. It was not uncommon to have .42 in my bank account for 3 or more weeks at a time, because I got paid $74 a month working on campus. I learned to either repair things I already had, or do without them. If my jeans wore a hole in them, I got iron-on patches at Wal-Mart and made them last another 3 months. I never bought anything full-price. Almost every store has clearance aisles, and matches coupons. Even with my crafts (which makes up a good part of my budget), I only buy things I know I will use and only if I have a coupon for it or it's on sale.

A lot of things around my house, I don't even buy, I make. Two weeks ago, we didn't have a rug for the guest bathroom, but we had some old sheets. Cut into 1" strips, they knit up into a really soft bathroom rug in about 6 hours total - time I spent watching TV for a few nights.

Postage. Flat-rate boxes are AMAZING and the post office will send them to your front door. Also, if you live away from family like me, it's nice to send things for special occasions like Mother's/Father's/Grandparent's Day. If your loved one has internet access, E-cards are either cheap or FREE! And they are still a nice surprise, and you can type whatever message you want into the card.

One of the best things is to create a network, like Connie mentioned, of people that can trade skills. I once fixed my roommate's fuel injector in her car because she couldn't. Free rent that month for me - my half was less than she would have paid the mechanic, so we both came out ahead on that deal. If you can paint, sew, frame pictures, willing to run someone's errands, whatever, it never hurts to ask.

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/13/10 04:55 AM

Get a library card instead of buying books.
I love books, and used to load up on them everytime I saw the sales at Borders...30 books for $30 bucks? Pretty good, right? Better yet is 30 books for free at the local library. Okay -- you return them, but still.. how often do you REALLY re-read your books? I used to stockpile my books, thinking I would re-read them.. Never did, and honestly never would, because I'd rather read something new and different.

Started visiting the local library, picking out three or four books at a time.. Still get the good reads, my wallet is a bit fuller, and my place isn't cluttered. The only books I purchase now are either ones I get with gift cards given to me, or ones that I can't find at the library (and then I purchase from half.com, where I can get a book for $4 including shipping)

---
Use cloths instead of paper towels. I knit dishcloths that do a much better job than paper towels, and look nicer. And I don't feel like I'm throwing away money.

----
Hang dry towels after a shower, or drying your clean hands. There is no reason to use a new towel every time after you shower. You are clean after a shower, right? The towel is still clean, and will be fine to use the next day, so long as you hang it to dry. This means that you don't have to wash towels as often.

---
Use a water purifier instead of buying bottled water.
---
Don't toss your leftovers..they'll be okay for you to eat the next day.
Freeze fruits and veggies so that they don't go bad before you can use them.. most are just fine frozen.
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/13/10 07:13 AM

Originally Posted By: suggiemom_1980
You know, this goes for all of our furry, feathered or scaly, family members. They can't take care of themselves.

This is so true!

My response would be to listen to the advice given above, it proofs to work!! Many people ask for advice but never follow through! LISTEN AND ACT on this advice, you will be thankful!
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/13/10 07:54 AM

Give up cable (havent had cable in almost 20 years

give up that cup of coffee from 7-eleven and make it at home

brown bag lunch

ride a bike

QUIT SMOKING!!!

buy store brands rather than name brands

use reusable containers rather than baggies for your lunch

hang clothes out to dry rather than the dryer.

if you need to use a laundromat invest in a portable washer. my friend did this and is saving about $100 a month.

also...change your way of thinking. let your money work for you rather than work for money.

and...when in your mind you put your "pets" on the same level as your "skin" kids, you will find a way.m appropriate sources

dont be afraid to ask for help from appropriate sources
Posted By: chattrbabe

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/13/10 09:04 AM

Originally Posted By: twoday87
These are great suggestions! I like the yard sell idea! Might do that one myself.

It is VERY important to have some money for vet emergencies. You don't need to go bankrupt putting back thousands of dollars, but it is a great idea to save a little here and there when you can and put it in a safe place where no one will spend it. In no time your glider account will grow and you will be glad you have it!

Great post, suggiemom_1980!
Okay, No joke here. Last Saturday and Sunday, My aunt and I held a yardsale at her house. I personally made $430.00 off of old stuff that was piling in a closet in my apartment. Old clothes that only my toe could fit in now, and were still like new went for a buck as did shoes. I sold my old kitchen table set for 40 bucks and I even sold some old kitchen appliances along with a few other odds and ends.

Clean out youer closet and go make some bank people! thumb

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/13/10 01:01 PM

Great suggestions!!! Any more?

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/13/10 02:32 PM

Exotic Pet Insurance
wont pay for wellness exams but will for a emergency vet visit
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/13/10 02:45 PM

Awesome ideas!!!

My husband and I have both now quit smoking. I'm on day 34, he's on three weeks. From the beginning, so we could SEE the results, we have been putting the money we would have spent on a pack each a day into a jar. LOVE seeing the results - the jar is filling up quickly!!!!!
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/13/10 05:00 PM

Congrats on giving up smoking! The jar is a great idea!
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/13/10 11:45 PM

How about manufacturers' coupons? Many grocery stores will DOUBLE whatever is printed on the coupon, so some things end up only costing a FEW CENTS.

Other stores have their "membership cards" where you pay less buying this with THEIR card...

Now take this idea one step further: What you WOULD have spent without the coupon....put IT in a jar. That'll add up quickly too! thumb

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/14/10 01:18 AM

EBAY!!! Buying and selling!
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/15/10 03:44 PM

I received a rebate from Verizon - put the rebate money directly into your vet account if it comes in check form. Mine came as debit cards. See if your vet will allow you to "charge" the entire amount to your account there for future use!

You can do this with any rebate you receive!

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/15/10 03:51 PM

I'm enrolled in the "keep the change" program at Bank of America. My savings account linked to it has become the vet fund.

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 06/15/10 04:17 PM

Wow! These are all amazing ideas and I'm sure, most are some never thought of before! What a great help for everyones suggies! They thank you all so much! I'm sure there will be many times to come, that they will be forever grateful, that their slaves loved them enough to make these sacrifices for their health!

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 07/17/10 05:02 AM

*BUMP*
Posted By: wildlifeangel

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 07/17/10 05:18 AM

I have a credit card with a high limit that is only for gliders. If I have money at the time, I use it, and if not that card has enough to cover even the most expensive vet visit.

Quitting smoking has helped my budget a LOT.

And adding onto the leftovers, we frequently make enough for a week at a time, and portion it into gladware containers for lunches.

Also drinking water from the water cooler, and mixing it with the little packets if you want flavors. Juice from frozen concentrate.

RED BOX! Can't tell you how much more movies I get to see when it's only $1 for one night, if I get it back soon enough.
Posted By: Bozeman

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 07/17/10 07:10 AM

To stop smoking is a great idea - for you and your gliders alike!

Also, it is imperative to make sure that you have ENOUGH funds available in your vet fund specifically for glider emergencies. We also have a paid up credit card with a high limit specifically available for our gliders and I add some money to it every month to make the available money more.
Posted By: cyndiekb

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 07/17/10 07:14 AM

When you pay off a bill take what you would have been sending out and stick it in an acct for the vet fund. I did this when I sold the Mustang. I put what I cleared in people savings but the $280 a month I was paying is going to a diff bank every month. I was already used to paying it so I don't miss it. I still say I am broke. It helps me forget about it sitting there till I need it smile

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 07/17/10 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Bozeman
We also have a paid up credit card with a high limit specifically available for our gliders and I add some money to it every month to make the available money more.

How do someone get a credit card like this?

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 07/17/10 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: GliderNursery
I received a rebate from Verizon ...Mine came as debit cards....

Some banks will let you take the money off of these cards WITHOUT charge!

I work for a large financial institution. I can tell you first hand the wonderful things saving money can do for you!

My best advice for money management:
*Make a budget, stick by it and update it when necessary.
*Set up an automatic transfer from checking to savings and include it in your budget as a BILL (start small and write more in if you can spare it!)
*Utilize a high interest online account like ING. If you can't easily take the money out, the less likely you are to touch it!
*Keep a REGISTER (we are not above this people, trust me!) and log everything in the DAY you spend it (for you frivolous spenders, do it right away)!
*Enroll in overdraft protection (either a savings to checking transfer or a line of credit), saves you $35-45 per ITEM!!
*If you use cash, pay with paper and keep the change in a change jar. Cash it out (for FREE mind you, some CoinStars are free and some banks have this service for free) and deposit the money into the vet fund
*Don't hold more three open lines of credit. Stay away from high interest cards! Utilize your revolving window and pay anything you charge IN FULL within the 28-30 day window. You don't have to pay interest on these purchases if you do this (this only works if you don't carry a balance).
*Read the fine print....ON EVERYTHING that involves your money.
*Don't sign up for a trial service/samples, you're consenting to MORE than you realize and they WILL charge you again.
*If you need to use a card online, use a credit card or a gift card. This way your working capital is not jeopardized!

I'm sure there's plenty I forgot...Happy Saving!
:o)
Posted By: wildlifeangel

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 07/17/10 02:28 PM

My card that is for gliders is a student visa. I raised the limits on it so that ANY glider situation can be covered.

I think any card, when it is overpaid will give you extra available balance. Although, my cards send the extra back if it is overpaid for a couple months...
Posted By: PintoLady09

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 07/17/10 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: wildlifeangel

RED BOX! Can't tell you how much more movies I get to see when it's only $1 for one night, if I get it back soon enough.

haha! Red Box is the enemy of money in my house! I have about 20 cases of redbox movies that we now own! Hubby goes out, thinks he's doing something good... bring home movie and dinner... then the movie never gets back to those little red boxes! Regardless that you can return it anywhere.

I've banned him from redbox. And its good too. We love movies, but yard sales are a great way to satisfy that. We baught 10 disney's for $10.

WE are always about saving money. The biggest thing that helps us is auctions. We have horses, and so every week I go to the auction and pick out the deals on hay. Most people pay $4-$6 a bale, I pay between $1-2 for the same good horse quality stuff! And I buy it all in the summer, after first cut b/c that's when it's the best prices. Stock up for winter.

Also pick a budget, and stick by it! Each paycheck, already have a spending sheet set up, with bills due for that week, Then put the rest into a savings account.

Walmart is a great place to save, although, we've found that the meat is cheaper at a real grocery store. We actually baught $30 worth of steaks for like $10 and was able to feed our little gathering.

Pre-cut salads and carrots are SOOO much more expensive! Buy whole and chop yourself!

Always keep a mental (or write it down if you need) list of basic prices. My dog food used to be cheaper at southern states, now Walmart cut prices and it's cheaper there. Even $1 can add up quickly!

Getting animals fixed, look into programs, around here if yo get government assistance, like medicaid or wic, you can get up to 3 pets(cats and dogs only) done for $20 a piece, and that also includes a rabies shot! I just had my cat done yesterday. It's really a great deal. Saved me about $70 on getting her fixed.

Just a bit about how we save. smile

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 03/21/11 04:51 AM

Bumpin up!

Re: For your glider/s, answer this...... - 03/21/11 05:15 AM

My mom and I are working on a vegetable garden in her backyard. For just a little sweat and labor, we'll have fresh veggies this summer, and home-canned ones for the winter!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL