GliderCENTRAL

Joey feeding question.

Posted By: Anonymous

Joey feeding question. - 07/27/06 09:03 PM

Okay. Our surviving Joey is almost two weeks oop now. He seems to be doing fine. I don't mess with him too much, as his mamma don't like me a whole lot. She just has never warmed up to people too well. Anyway, my question is, how many weeks will mom provide all the food the joey needs, assuming she doesn't reject or anything of course. I am also wondering how long he needs to stay with his mom and dad. I am not sure if I am keeping the joey or not. My brother kind of wants him as soon as he is old enough.

Re: Joey feeding question. - 07/27/06 09:17 PM

Joeys are ready to be weaned at about 8-9 weeks OOP. I just bought an 8 week OOP joey. He licked at the fruits and veggies for a couple days, only nibbling. Last night was the first time I saw him nibbling at the staple diet.

Re: Joey feeding question. - 07/27/06 10:44 PM

8-9 weeks but some will need longer. Just make sure he is eating, pooping and peeing on his own before you let him go. Some breeders wait until 10 weeks or even 12 weeks. But really it just depends on the joey. No earlier the 8 weeks though that is for sure.

Re: Joey feeding question. - 07/27/06 10:47 PM

So, before the 8-9 weeks are up I don't need to be feeding it anything?
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Joey feeding question. - 07/27/06 10:47 PM

[:"green"]Generally, a joey is ready to be separated from its parents between 8-10 weeks oop. The joey will start to eat solid foods at about 5-6 weeks oop but will continue to nurse from its mother until 8-10 weeks oop.

Re: Joey feeding question. - 07/27/06 10:58 PM

Sorry forgot to answer that part. Mom will take care of the joey for the 8-10 weeks but around 5-6 weeks they start to wean them. The joeys start sampiling the adult food so ad just a little extra each week once you see him sampiling the food. They usually are not completely weaned until 8-10 weeks

Re: Joey feeding question. - 07/27/06 11:03 PM

Thanks guys.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL