GliderCENTRAL

Mosaic to Mosaic breeding

Posted By: fliptout

Mosaic to Mosaic breeding - 01/27/12 05:48 PM

Is Mo to Mo breeding practiced and if not why. Are there reasons it should not be done. thanks
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Mosaic to Mosaic breeding - 01/27/12 06:10 PM

It isn't really done because it isn't necessary to reproduce the mosaic trait.

It also isn't done because the mosaic lines are so tight already. There are sterile lines and non sterile lines and great care needs to be done to insure those lines don't cross. Breeding mo to mo (inbreeding related gliders) is what caused the sterility issues to start with.

Other than breeding to closely related, there isn't any genetic reason not to breed mo to mo.
Posted By: AmandaSnyder

Re: Mosaic to Mosaic breeding - 01/27/12 09:27 PM

I know there are a few breeders that breed mo to mo.I have been told in the past that really people dont do it for 2 reasons 1 being mos are exspencive and it only takes one to produce mo joeys 2 being the non sterial line and you dont want to cross the clean lines into the bad line.

But it can be done you just have to look deep into the linage and kinship.I dont think it increases the odds of getting mo joeys but maybe by a little ive had some people say it gives you a 75% chace other the 50% chance.

Someone else will come along with a better answer im sure lol
Posted By: becpop

Re: Mosaic to Mosaic breeding - 01/28/12 01:31 AM

off_topic

If you did a mo to mo breeding could they produce a joey that is homogeneous for mosaic and would always produce mos?
Posted By: krysKritters

Re: Mosaic to Mosaic breeding - 01/28/12 03:26 AM

No, there is no Mosaic Hets. Either they are a mosaic ro they are not.
Posted By: becpop

Re: Mosaic to Mosaic breeding - 01/28/12 03:30 AM

I'm saying if two mos both give the dominate mosaic gene to a mo joey then the joey would always produce a mo when bred. Can this happen?
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Mosaic to Mosaic breeding - 01/28/12 03:43 AM

I don't think you will get a "Super Mosaic". Since the mo gene works like the WF gene, I wouldn't expect any different outcome.

IMO, there is no reason to breed mo to mo.
Posted By: krysKritters

Re: Mosaic to Mosaic breeding - 01/28/12 03:47 AM

No, it doesn't work that way... there is no "super" mo or anyway to create a more "potent" mosaic... you will not increase your odds of producing mo babies with 2 mo parents...
Posted By: fliptout

Re: Mosaic to Mosaic breeding - 01/28/12 03:56 AM

just curious no intentions of breeding two Mosaics. Friend of mine asked and so I was wondering.
mods please close this post.
thank you
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Mosaic to Mosaic breeding - 01/28/12 04:02 AM

Locking thread per OP request.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL