GliderCENTRAL

Possible full black glider?

Posted By: Anonymous

Possible full black glider? - 05/18/07 10:31 PM

Has anyone ever had a completely black suggie? Is it possible to breed two black beauties and get one??
Posted By: dranger1108

Re: Possible full black glider? - 05/18/07 10:36 PM

haven't seen one yet...
Posted By: MizValorie

Re: Possible full black glider? - 05/18/07 10:41 PM

I seriously doubt it. Black beauties marks are DARKER not completely black.
Posted By: SugarBaby22

Re: Possible full black glider? - 05/18/07 10:43 PM

To my knowledge, there is no true Melanistic glider out there. I have seen photo shopped pictures of gliders claiming to be fully black... but there are none in real existence.

Re: Possible full black glider? - 05/18/07 10:52 PM

LoL too bad! I thought it would be pretty cool to see! tounge

Re: Possible full black glider? - 05/19/07 05:46 AM

what does a black beauty look like what is the differance between them and a classic grey
Posted By: surfer_chix88

Re: Possible full black glider? - 05/19/07 06:15 AM

Black beauties have alot of dark grey/black hair in their coat so they have an overall darker appearance. Also they will have alot more black coloring on their face/around the eyes. One deffinate sign is most have a "chinstrap" or a black line that goes from the back of their head down to under their chin. They can also have a black ring or coloring around the feet and wrists.
I have one but dont have any pix to help show you. She has a very large dark black diamond on the top of her head. Her white is REALLY bright too. I actually named her Diamond since she had a name that I wouldnt want to repeat! I have pix of her on my camera but cant find the cord to get the pix off the camera to my comp. I know that helps ALOT! lol
Anyway, HTH!

Re: Possible full black glider? - 05/19/07 07:41 PM

I don't think an all black glider is that far away from being achieved. I have had a couple joeys produced here with gray bellies. If you paired gray bellied gliders to black beauties and only kept the darkest to continue the line, you would eventually end up with an all black glider...

Re: Possible full black glider? - 05/19/07 08:33 PM

I want a grey belli!!!

Re: Possible full black glider? - 05/19/07 09:33 PM

I have a grey Belli. and she is a doll.
Posted By: RSXTC

Re: Possible full black glider? - 05/19/07 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Leyna
I don't think an all black glider is that far away from being achieved. I have had a couple joeys produced here with gray bellies. If you paired gray bellied gliders to black beauties and only kept the darkest to continue the line, you would eventually end up with an all black glider...

Oh my gosh don't tease me like that! An all black glider would be AWESOME! jump

I'm sure it would take yeeeears, though.

Re: Possible full black glider? - 05/19/07 10:21 PM

oh wow, I wish, that'd be as cool as the leus!!
Posted By: Shuttershade

Re: Possible full black glider? - 05/19/07 10:24 PM

I have a friend who has a glider. And if his glider isn't black, its the darkest grey I have EVER seen. But his face isn't black, just a darker version of the normal color. There is also a slight difference between the stripe down his back and the surrounding fur.
Melanistic morphs are possible in almost every type of animal. It occurs most commonly in small mammals; specificly rodents. But, since gliders aren't rodents.. I'm not sure. I have never seen a melanistic morph of a marsupial before..
Posted By: myangelbear77

Re: Possible full black glider? - 05/19/07 11:08 PM

I would like to see one if it ever happens...
Furf you are to silly I caught that!

Re: Possible full black glider? - 05/20/07 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Furf

I meant a glider with a grey belli...not a belli that is grey! hahaha
roflmao roflmao
Posted By: MizValorie

Re: Possible full black glider? - 05/20/07 04:58 AM

Originally Posted By: surfer_chix88
Originally Posted By: Furf

I meant a glider with a grey belli...not a belli that is grey! hahaha
roflmao roflmao

roflmao roflmao

Re: Possible full black glider? - 06/03/07 05:30 PM

So, who's breeding for the darker gliders? I personally am not planning on breeding, but I would love to support breeders who are trying for darker gliders. And where would one get a grey bellied glider?

Re: Possible full black glider? - 06/03/07 06:09 PM

One think I would hate to mention is that sometimes when you tend to go for hypomelanistic, melanistic, etc. there is a possibility that you run into lethal genes. Now I know that marsupials are not fish, though extremely distantly related, but take a case in point, full body black guppies(melanistics) are impossible to breed, as there is a lethal gene involved. For anyone breeding for "darker is better", please be careful, as with any breeding, that you carefully select the best for breeding.

Re: Possible full black glider? - 06/03/07 06:25 PM

I still can't tell a difference between my Black Beauties and Greys...

Maybe all of them are BBs? Possible...

I did notice that the Buttercream gal doesn't have any black on her tail, she is all grey on the tail. Is this normal or do you think part of the tail is missing?

Re: Possible full black glider? - 06/03/07 07:57 PM

So does that mean the grey on the belly is not normal in joeys??

Re: Possible full black glider? - 06/03/07 08:25 PM

does anyone have a pic of a grey belly?

Re: Possible full black glider? - 06/03/07 08:32 PM

My babies have alot of grey on their bellies but I never really noticed it till the other day when this thread started.
I know greys go dark to light but how much in grey in the belly is odd.

Re: Possible full black glider? - 06/03/07 09:23 PM

Most gliders have white or cream bellies when they fur out. I have produced 2 gliders with gray bellies. Now, their bellies weren't as dark as their backs, but they were gray none the less. A friend of mine actually has one of my gray bellies babies paired up with a black beauty. They had 1 joey, I haven't got to see him yet though.

Re: Possible full black glider? - 06/03/07 09:58 PM

My goal is to eventually breed black gliders, i mean just think, how amazing would a black glider with a white tail or white face? Im just starting out though so i know ive got ALOT of work ahead of me. I also breed guppies, though because of that gene i will never try all black with them. THANKS for that advice though, i will definitely watch out for the possibility

Re: Possible full black glider? - 06/03/07 10:10 PM

I would assume then you would have to breed the babies with black beauties?? Dont black beauties have cream or white bellies though??
My gliders have pretty dark bellies and their parents are Cinnies.
Posted By: Gossamer

Re: Possible full black glider? - 06/04/07 10:26 AM

My female has a lot of gray on her belly. It's more white towards the front, then changes to gray. This is a horrendus picture - but I think you can see the gray. It's actually gotten grayer as she's aged (this pic is a few months old)

Attached picture 9270-Gliders3-28-07010.jpg

Re: Possible full black glider? - 06/04/07 11:24 AM

I will have to sit down a figure out this camera today I really have NO computer skills what-so-ever.

Re: Possible full black glider? - 06/05/07 06:00 PM

Personally I have not seen an all black glider. BUT I Do know that Pricilla from THE PET GLIDER is breeding for them (or atleast trying to) and yes it would mean taking black beauties and poss. line breeding them to get the black colors.

A Black Beauty can be hard to tell between a normal classic gray if your not sure. A black beauty has thicker eye rings, thicker stripes, and the part that goes around the ears (doesn't always have to touch) comes down making a mark under the chin (hense chin strap) but not all BB's have thick black stripes. My BB female Lilo has thick black on her all over, but Cleopatra has thinner stripes around her eyes but still has the chin straps. It really depends on the gliders. Also a good way to tell (not always) if the black strip from the center of the head comes all the way down to the nose. Most gliders called classic grays are BB's but not every one knows it. Which is why most people will sell BB's for normal prices. Others use the BB name to mark up prices. Same thing with white faces a lot of times. I have seen a lot of people call a normal white face glider a WFB when it's not. A blond has more of a blond coloring rather then a white face. Colorings are hard to tell when you first start out. I know I was confused at first. but you will catch on. Hope this helps. And I hope some one does come up with some black gliders.

Re: Possible full black glider? - 06/05/07 06:32 PM

Hello,

I dont breed gliders and know nothing about color genetics, but I thought I would add this link to Pricilla's photo gallery. There are some beautiful BBs on there!

http://www.thepetglider.com/index/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,44/?g2_itemId=94

Hugs,
Alexis

Re: Possible full black glider? - 06/06/07 05:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Shypixie
Hello,

I dont breed gliders and know nothing about color genetics, but I thought I would add this link to Pricilla's photo gallery. There are some beautiful BBs on there!

http://www.thepetglider.com/index/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,44/?g2_itemId=94

Hugs,
Alexis

The 2nd and 3rd pics look a lot like my two BB......

Attached picture 9317-060407_Shm1sttimeout.jpg
Attached picture 9318-060407_Shm9.jpg

Re: Possible full black glider? - 06/06/07 05:13 AM

you know, I was just noticing all the intense grey on Gir's belly today... it is REALLY grey. Like, almost solid grey. Its really strange. I'll try to get a pic and post it tomorrow.

Re: Possible full black glider? - 06/06/07 05:21 AM

I will have to try to get some pictures to.
There seems to be a few babies with dark bellies.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL