GliderCENTRAL

WFB generation question...

Posted By: Anonymous

WFB generation question... - 01/23/08 04:08 PM

I have a few questions..

if you breed a 4th gen with a standard, are the babies considered a 3.5 gen or a 1st gen? why?

how do you get a 2.5 gen glider? where is the .5 coming from?

how is the percentage calculated?
ex. how would you calculate the joey
2nd gen wfb x 4.25 gen wfb = ?

I'm just a little confused smile
Posted By: Candy

Re: WFB generation question... - 01/23/08 04:18 PM

The joeys can only be as high as the lowest generation parent. If you put 2 2nd generations WFBs together they will have a 3rd generation baby. But if you put a 1st generation and a 2nd generation the baby will only be a 2nd generation because the one parent only has one generation wf behind it.
Now to get the half would be like a first generation and 3rd generation some will list them as a 2.5 or a 2+ showing that one parent is a further down the line WF.
Hope this helps. Don't know if I explained things quite right.
Posted By: Cora

Re: WFB generation question... - 01/23/08 04:20 PM

OK I can help with part of this question. My Roxy is a WFB...........her dad was a WFB and her mom was a standard . Her mate Rocko is a WFB............His mom and dad were WFB.................his grandad was WFB.....grandma was a standard.............Their babies are 2.5 gen (or so I have been told). 2 4th gen WFB will produce a 5th gen but a 1st gen and 4th gen are going to produce a 2nd gen. My Nick (coming home soon) is a 5th gen and she will be paired with a 2.5 gen (Holly) and their babies will be 3+ gen.....................does any of this make sense??????? smile

Re: WFB generation question... - 01/23/08 04:22 PM

So a 4th gen with a standard is a 1st gen!!!
Posted By: mommawannabe

Re: WFB generation question... - 01/23/08 04:31 PM

So a 1st gen wfb mated to a 3.5 gen is a 2nd gen?

Anna

Re: WFB generation question... - 01/23/08 04:41 PM

sounds right!!!!
Posted By: Sheila

Re: WFB generation question... - 01/23/08 04:51 PM

This is very complicated and my old brain gets taxed. I use to know how to do these really well, but now I am boggled.

One side:
Grandma WFB1 GrandpaSTnD
Mom WFB1

Other side:
G GrandmaWFB1 GPAWFB1
Grandma WFB2 GPa WFB1
Dad WFB1.5

You can see the lineage on the "Other Side"has more WFB than the one on the Top Three out of the four great grandparents are wfb, where the one on the left which I didn't show the Great grandparents. but there are only one great grandparent that is wfb and that is on the grandma's side. This would make the joey out of the mom and dad a 2.5 gen WFB.

This is a good topic, but I have always felt from certain WFB lines there is a strength of gene. I have a 2nd generation pair that produced 11 joeys and they were all wfb. Their son, produced 7 out 7, their granddaughter - 7 out of 7, and the great grandson who is a 3.5 generation is with a 100% Leu Het Platinum has produced 5 out of 5 WFB. This WFB lineage is very strong and with that being said, I would think that a 3.5 gen male that produced only wfb babies with a normal would not be producing a 1st gen wfb, but possibly a second generation, particularly when paired with a 100% leu het whose gene is recessive.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: WFB generation question... - 01/23/08 05:11 PM

Quote:
This WFB lineage is very strong and with that being said, I would think that a 3.5 gen male that produced only wfb babies with a normal would not be producing a 1st gen wfb, but possibly a second generation, particularly when paired with a 100% leu het whose gene is recessive.

The problem I see here Sheila is that who's to say what constitutes a "strong gene" and how would a "newbie" justify making that claim? I see many that would try to take advantage of others as far as making the sales or the prices they charge.

It simply is what it is.... Because the offspring gets half their genetic material from each parent, you can not claim that because your 4th gen has never produced a standard, even though paired with a standard, that the wf that is produced is a higher gen than a 1st. (though I guess it would be fair to say 1+ in a case like this but definatly not a 2nd gen)

1st gen + standard = 1st gen
1st gen + 1st gen = 2 gen
1st gen + 2nd gen = 2.5
1st gen + 3rd gen = 2.75
2nd gen + 6th gen = 3+ gen. (would be close to a 4th but not quite there)

In your model above, if Mom is a 1st gen and Dad is a 1.5 gen, the offspring would be 2.25 gen not 2.5.
Posted By: Bubbles8i8

Re: WFB generation question... - 01/23/08 08:01 PM

With a dominant gene like WF, to produce ONLY WF babies, one parent would have to be homozygous for the gene. The only way a glider could be homozygous for the gene, thus producing all WF, is if he had two white face parents that both passed the gene to him.

smile
Posted By: Bubbles8i8

Re: WFB generation question... - 01/23/08 08:25 PM

I made Punnett squares to show the inheritance. It is easier this way.

For this purpose, the WF gene is A, non-WF is a. Because the WF gene is dominant, you only need one "A" for the glider to be WF, but you can have two "AA" and get the same result. AA WF gliders are homozygous for the trait, which means they will produce 100% WF babies, even when paired with a gray glider.

Aa = heterozygous WF
AA = homozygous WF
aa = gray

Gray x Gray

Results in 100% gray

Heterozygous WF x Gray

Results in 50% heterozygous WF
+ 50% gray

Heterozygous WF x Heterozygous WF

Results in 25% homozygous WF
+ 50% heterozygous WF
+25% gray