GliderCENTRAL

Breeding out the Leu line.

Posted By: oakley

Breeding out the Leu line. - 02/08/08 09:34 PM

Ok guys,

As some of you may know, I am a bit interested in genetics. If I am correct, the Leu line of gliders is a relatively small gene pool to begin with.

A few questions...

1) How many leu gliders are out there?
2) How many leu *lines* are out there?
3) How closely related are ALL of the leu gliders?

By "breeding out the line" we refer to the act of breeding a leu with a std grey or other variety therefore producing 100% het joeys every time?

To clarify for myself:

-take 4 gliders
-2 leu gliders
-2 standard greys

If we were to breed one leu to one grey all of their joeys would be 100% het for the leu gene.

Then, if we were to breed two of those 100% het joeys from the two pairs above, we would see:

1/4 leu joeys
2/4 100% het for leu joeys
1/4 standard grey joeys

So because of the fact that the 100% het joeys and the standard grey joeys look alike, until they are proven 100% het they are classified as being 66% poss het for the leu gene?

Is this how we get the 66% and 33% numbers?

Thanks for listening, I'm trying to get this straight. smile

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Breeding out the Leu line. - 02/09/08 01:44 AM

I don't know how many leu gliders are out there any more. Over the last year, the number of leus has exploded... I do know that there are 3 leu lines, the Ethan/Gabriel/Fisban line, the Sammie/Sesamie line, and the Mac and Cheese line.

As far as the percentages go...

Leucistic + Leucistic = Leucistic

Leucistic + Normal = 100% het

Leucistic + 100% het = 1/2 Leucistics, 1/2 100% hets

100% het + 100% het = 1/4 Leucistics, 1/2 66% hets, 1/4 Normals

100% het + Normal = 50% het

66% het + Normal = 33% het

50% het + Normal = 25% het

Any glider with a Leucistic parent is a 100% het. They will always have the Leucistic gene. If a 50% or 66% het produces a Leucistic, they become a 100% and then their offsprings percentage will increase accordingly. For example, I have a male that was originally a 25% het. His mother, who was a 50% het, proved out, so he is now a 50% het...
Posted By: GliderLove

Re: Breeding out the Leu line. - 02/09/08 01:57 AM

Leyna, I think the way you explain things really makes it easier for people to understand! thumb
Posted By: oakley

Re: Breeding out the Leu line. - 02/09/08 02:26 AM

thank you leyna

Re: Breeding out the Leu line. - 02/09/08 02:30 AM

Thanks Cindy smile

Re: Breeding out the Leu line. - 02/09/08 03:23 AM

Good thing I never plan to breed because I am lost grin
© 2020 GliderCENTRAL