GliderCENTRAL

orgins of colors

Posted By: Devil_Bunny_Girl

orgins of colors - 06/30/08 06:08 PM

What color variations make up creamino (butter cream) and mosaic lines?

I have two Lion colored Males. Do you consequently breed them with a White Leucistic to get a Butter Cream?

Does anyone know?

I greatly appreciate the help anyone can offer. Thank you kindly.
Posted By: glidergrl1513

Re: orgins of colors - 06/30/08 06:40 PM

Cremino and buttercream are two separate color variations. Buttercream is simply a variation on the standard coloring (or could occur with WF, etc). Cremino is a variation of the albino mutation.

Breeding a lion with a leucistic would give you 100% leu hets, and possibly lions, but I'm not sure how that gene works.
Posted By: Laurens_Babies

Re: orgins of colors - 06/30/08 06:52 PM

Most of the time when yo breed a true lion to another color you will get "lion coloring" but for full technicality they probably won't BE lions.

Buttercream and Cinnamon from what I have seen is very simliar to breeding lions, same rules apply. But I believe it is easier to get lion coloring and buttercream coloring than Cinnamon.

Re: orgins of colors - 06/30/08 07:09 PM

Ah, I see. I misunderstood the Cremino and Buttercream colorings. I thought they were describing the same thing. (Oops!) Thank you for clearing that up.

I totally get the Percentages on the LeuHet stuff (I love numbers and working with numbers...mwahahaha), I just don't understand how all the color variations come about.

I never saw a Lion color till I got my two males -- Cooper & Clapton -- and I'm just totally blown away by how beautiful their colors are.

Just like Cinni's -- OMG -- I love their coloring, too.

Ok, I just love suggies, period. I just thought there was some kind of guideline I needed to follow to get specific colors (not that it is a necessity, I'm just more curious than anything as I want to learn about this more than anything.)

I truly do appreciate the input that you both have given me. Thank you so much! smile
Posted By: SugareeErin

Re: orgins of colors - 06/30/08 08:36 PM

With lions the color will dilute if they are paired with any other color. Some may not even have lion coloring. If you wanted to breed for lions I would pair with another lion.

I believe that buttercreams and cinnis are similar in that way. It depends on the type of gene, here is a site that has a basic explination of glider genetics:

www.petsugargliders.com

With leus the gene is recessive, so to have a leu both parents must have the gene. Mosaic is a dominant gene so you can pair a mosaic with any color glider and have some mosaic joeys. The creamino is the only color that has "popped up" in captivity, I think all the other colors are found in wild gliders smile HTH

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: orgins of colors - 06/30/08 08:55 PM

Quote:
With lions the color will dilute if they are paired with any other color. Some may not even have lion coloring. If you wanted to breed for lions I would pair with another lion.

I believe that buttercreams and cinnis are similar in that way.

Actually, that's not entirely true. Some of the nicest cinnis/lions/buttercreams I've seen have came from normals paired with those various colors. It really just depends on the individual genetics of the parents... and how weak or strong those genetics are.

Re: orgins of colors - 06/30/08 09:06 PM

Thanks Erin -- I've seen that site already. (Makes me want a hedgie every time I go there, too...grr)

I guess it's like horses... You kind of have an idea of what you're going to get when you breed certain colors to other certain colors. I just wanted more definate answers and I suppose there just isn't those kinds of answers yet.
For example, with Paint horses... Overos, Tobianos...you can guarentee what patterns you are getting by breeding them a certain way. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges here. Sorry about that...

I'm probably making this more confusing than it probably has to be, and I totally apologize for it.
Posted By: SugareeErin

Re: orgins of colors - 06/30/08 09:51 PM

Yes that's true about the genes. I have a "beige" glider that has a lion father and he and my WFB just has a really pretty lion girl, she shows the color more than daddy. I was very surprised when they had her.

Re: orgins of colors - 06/30/08 10:13 PM

Erin, I hope you don't mind, I was checking out your website. I saw you mentioned WF Sunkissed Gliders. What is the description of a Sunkissed?

I've seen someone post a picture of what they said was a Sunkissed glider, and to me -- Looks just like one of my Lions. Maybe I'm missing some important detail? Or is it just Sunkissed are WF's?

© 2024 GliderCENTRAL