GliderCENTRAL

Genetics confuse me!

Posted By: Sunshine

Genetics confuse me! - 03/14/10 09:35 PM

Okay, simple question that i feel stupid for asking.. If you have a possible white tip het and a normal glider that isnt a white tip or a possible white tip het will they produce white tip and/ or possible white tip hets?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Genetics confuse me! - 03/15/10 02:51 AM

The white tip is not fully understood from what I have read. Some produce and some don't. There are probably multiple genes responsible for it to show up. That's why you never see % het listed with WT...only possible WT het...it's not understood well.

I am sure someone else will come along to better answer your questions.
Posted By: petsugargliders

Re: Genetics confuse me! - 03/15/10 03:13 AM

I completely agree Jamie. It is hard to say what will happen. The joeys from that pairing would be possible hets since there is white tip in the line. It may also be possible that they could produce a white tip joey. It may not be likely to happen, but it definitely wouldn't be impossible.

The white tip genes are funny things. Sometimes white tips will appear out of sugar gliders with no history of white tips for several documented generations; other times a pair of sugar gliders with white tips will not produce a white tip joey. Of coarse there is always the middle ground, which is why all of this is so confusing.

There is definitely more than one gene responsible for producing a white tip. However, the more that white tip breeders have worked with the genes, the better they are getting at reproducing it.

I just brought home Jordon, a white tip female that has over 2 inches of white at the end of her tail. smile She herself is a third generation white tip! So there is some progress being made.

Re: Genetics confuse me! - 03/15/10 07:22 PM

great thanks smile

Re: Genetics confuse me! - 03/17/10 08:03 PM

Wait so, since one of the gliders is a possible white tip het do i advertise the joeys too as a possible white tip het if they dont have a white tip? What if i bred this glider with a leu and i wouldnt know if it had a white tip or not.. would i advertise it as possible white tip/ white hip het?

Oh loony! My head is spinning.
Posted By: Lindsay

Re: Genetics confuse me! - 03/17/10 08:13 PM

If my understanding of genetics is correct then you would advertise as possible WT hets. For that gene you would only need one parent glider to possibly have the gene for any babies to be hets.

If you paired a het with a leu it would still be a WT het baby. You need two parents w/the leu gene to produce a leu. So unless the WT het parent had the leu gene any glider from that pairing would be a normal colored glider w/a WT or a WT het.

Someone can correct me if I got it wrong. I hope that helps somewhat.

Lindsay

Re: Genetics confuse me! - 03/17/10 08:26 PM

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! i finally understand a wee bit off the genetics in gliders!!
Posted By: Lindsay

Re: Genetics confuse me! - 03/17/10 08:32 PM

No problem. Glad I can share a little of what I am learning on to someone else.

Lindsay
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL