GliderCENTRAL

How To Trim Nails (with pics)

Posted By: Xfilefan

How To Trim Nails (with pics) - 05/22/07 01:00 AM

Please don't post until all 5 posts in place-Thank you.

Step one-

Put the glider in the pouch or trim bag

Attached picture 8862-Trimnails01.jpg

Re: How To Trim Nails (with pics) - 05/22/07 01:01 AM

Step Two:

Hold glider IN bag as if to give meds-and grab a foot with the other hand (I hold in left, grab with right)

Attached picture 8863-Trimnails02.jpg

Re: How To Trim Nails (with pics) - 05/22/07 01:03 AM

Step 3:

Bunch up bag around glider into lap...keeping foot out the end.

Attached picture 8864-Trimnails03.jpg

Re: How To Trim Nails (with pics) - 05/22/07 01:04 AM

Step 4:

Hold the glider down bunched in bag with the fingers not holding the foot (but same hand). Your other hand will have the clippers. Keep a firm grip on the foot, and "hold" the glider in the bag firmly (but don't squish)

Attached picture 8865-Trimnails04.jpg

Re: How To Trim Nails (with pics) - 05/22/07 01:07 AM

Last one-Step 5:

Trim the tips only of each nail from the side. Let the foot go when finished, repeat the hold in step 2 to grab the next foot, and repeat 3-5 until all are done. Either offer treat during trimming, or when finished.

Hope this helps some of the confusion. Riker got his treat after the pics were finished, lol.

Attached picture 8866-Trimnails05.jpg
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: How To Trim Nails (with pics) - 05/22/07 01:19 AM

You forgot the "Withdraw bloody stump of what was formerly your own hand, having been bitten 14 times by a wriggling, crazed glider, and having not gotten a single glider nail cut, but having cut yourself several times." At least, that's how it goes at my house.

Thanks for the pics. At least I can show those to the next hapless guest in my house, who will have to help me trim glider nails.

Re: How To Trim Nails (with pics) - 05/22/07 01:33 AM

lol-that's the point to bunching up the fleece around them, then holding the whole 'ball' firmly in the hand holding the foot-I usually only get nailed if I loosen up too much and Hush or Myst gets their head out. Last 2 times I escaped without a single bite, and normally don't get more than 1 or two-rarely hard enough to bleed. Just hoping this will help new folks.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How To Trim Nails (with pics) - 05/22/07 01:36 AM

Those are great pics! - I never trim the "grooming nails" on the back feet because I've read that you're not supposed to. Does this sound farmiliar to anyone else?

Re: How To Trim Nails (with pics) - 05/22/07 01:41 AM

Mostly, you don't. I do have 4 that they grow like crazy and have to be trimmed. If they get too long, they'll be useless for grooming and risking injury. Most gliders barely grow those, if at all. There are exceptions though. As a general rule, if they aren't any longer than the others, don't cut them. If you have 3/4" or longer groomers (rare), then trim a bit-carefully, and MUST be done from the side against the flat of the nail.

Re: How To Trim Nails (with pics) - 05/22/07 01:43 AM

I will have to try this. Usually it takes me and hubby to clip nails. I hold and give treats (bribery) and he clips. lol

We have 2 rescues one Hubby can hold and pet, the other we can't even look at. She will attach. I will still do the 2 person with them but I will try this with my babies.
Posted By: RSXTC

Re: How To Trim Nails (with pics) - 05/22/07 02:14 AM

This should be a stickey!!!

Jen, want to come over and help me clip my kids' nails? I know you do... wink *nudge nudge*
Posted By: Holly1221

Re: How To Trim Nails (with pics) - 05/22/07 02:18 AM

i dont' think i'm brave enough to go through with that. it's why i love Misos' Stealth so much. ( it has the trimtrax on it )
Posted By: MizValorie

Re: How To Trim Nails (with pics) - 05/22/07 02:22 AM

Thanks Jen for the time and effort you put in to posting these pics and directions!!

Re: How To Trim Nails (with pics) - 05/22/07 02:29 AM

Thanks Jen!

Those are excellent pictures! clap

I just want to ad that I find cuticle clippers to be easier to use than nail clippers. You can see exactly how much you are clipping easily.

HTH! thumb
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: How To Trim Nails (with pics) - 05/22/07 10:42 PM

This is exactly why the Stealth with Trim Trax doesn't work for me:
Linus in Stealth

You can see that he completely by-passes the Trim Trax.

I'm going to try following these step by step directions. Thank you for posting them!
Posted By: Xglider

Re: How To Trim Nails (with pics) - 05/22/07 10:50 PM

JEN Awesome post! Wonderful for the community … going to have to save this one for reference!
Posted By: Msdoolittle

Re: How To Trim Nails (with pics) - 05/22/07 10:51 PM

I wish I had seen this last nite-Coral kept getting caught in her fleece cube. I tried trimming her nails twice and my hands look like I was in a cat fight. I finally figured out that in was the groomers that were getting caught!

I love the pic of Linus!

Re: How To Trim Nails (with pics) - 05/22/07 11:34 PM

with mine it also helps to do it during the day when they are less alert and active -
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL