GliderCENTRAL

Cancer

Posted By: Anonymous

Cancer - 11/20/10 08:09 PM

I just had a necropsy completed on my male Valimir to who is a Leu and the vet found that he had melonoma cancer but internally. Samples are being sent off to a pathologist.

He is the father of my female to whom passed away on November 1st and he pasted away last night. They both had the same thing and my vet is thinking that this is genetic. It does not make sense to both me and my vet as it is not like they have day light exposure and he does not believe this to be the cause as it was in his liver, kidney and lymph nodes. Hence thinking it is genetic.

I will contact my breeders of the two that produced the parents privately however has anyone else had any exposure to this?

Thanks,

Ruth
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Cancer - 11/20/10 08:23 PM

Ruth - I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. This is sad, indeed. Maybe someone else will have answers for you - I just wanted you to know my thoughts are with you.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Cancer - 11/20/10 08:38 PM

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. You did a great thing having a necropsy done in you time of sorrow.

May you find comfort in your memories of him.

Glide Free Little Valimir :rbridge:
Posted By: Meg_n_Von

Re: Cancer - 11/20/10 08:43 PM

Aww, I'm so sorry. hug2 It is a good thing you had a necropsy done, it could help gliders in the future... smile
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Cancer - 11/20/10 09:12 PM

There is a melanoma gene in humans, I wonder if there is something similar in gliders. dunno Thank you for sharing your vet's findings. I would be interested to see what comes back from the pathology report as well.

hug2
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Cancer - 11/21/10 11:17 AM

I am so sorry for what you are going through right now. Gretchen is right, there is a melanoma gene in humans, I inherited this. It is a highly lethal form of cancer, and does not respond well to radio or chemotherapy.

I am anxious to hear about the results on the pathology report, thank you for sharing this with us. hug2 I know there was a study done on pigs with the hereditary malignant melanoma which they have found to be gene related.

Please let us know what the findings are.
© 2021 GliderCENTRAL