GliderCENTRAL

Gem's Necropsy

Posted By: theresaw

Gem's Necropsy - 07/09/15 03:17 AM

My glider "Gem" passed away very unexpectedly on June 9th. She was acting normal Sun morning, playing and eating well. On Sun night she started acting uncomfortable (climbing in and out of her pouch) and didn't eat much. I took her to a vet on Monday and she thought she felt a mass in her abdomen but nothing obvious on xray. We started clavamox, buprenorphine, and sub q fluids but she passed by her Mon night as I held her. I am heartbroken that she is gone. I will attach the necropsy results but my questions are 1. Can they have fatty liver disease and liver shutdown within 24 hours of eating normal? 2. Has anyone ever heard of the type of lung disease she had (she had no noticeable respiratory problems), 3. Is it common for them to get a pyometra(infected reproductive system)?

Attached picture Scan-1.jpg
Attached picture Scan.jpg
Posted By: Feather

Re: Gem's Necropsy - 07/09/15 03:48 AM

I am very sorry for your loss.

I have seen the liver findings in some of the rescues that I have had necropies done on.

You should contact Peggy and have this necropsy sent to Dr. Tristan.
Posted By: theresaw

Re: Gem's Necropsy - 07/09/15 11:47 AM

Thank you. I did send it to Dr. Tristan but I had a few questions and was wondering if anyone had seen anything similar.
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Gem's Necropsy - 07/09/15 12:43 PM

Quote:
1. Can they have fatty liver disease and liver shutdown within 24 hours of eating normal

No, this happens over time. Normally with no symptoms.

Quote:
2. Has anyone ever heard of the type of lung disease she had (she had no noticeable respiratory problems),

Dr. Tristan stated this was pneumonia

Quote:
3. Is it common for them to get a pyometra(infected reproductive system)?

Actually this is seen quite often in gliders.
© 2020 GliderCENTRAL