GliderCENTRAL

Fabric Softener

Posted By: Dancing

Fabric Softener - 01/09/13 05:40 AM

Ok, I do not claim to know everything and I'm always learning new stuff on GC about gliders.

But I have had gliders around 14 years. I've had hundreds of gliders through my home in those years. And I've ALWAYS used fabric softener when I do their laundry. Never had any problems.

But now I'm seeing all sorts of posts saying it could hurt them.

So...Fact or Fiction?
Posted By: glidrz5

Re: Fabric Softener - 01/09/13 05:43 AM

I'd heard not to use dryer sheets when drying their stuff, but nothing about fabric softener. The only thing I can think of is the smell might be a bit strong for them, but that could go with any laundry detergent you'd use.
Posted By: Cora

Re: Fabric Softener - 01/09/13 06:18 AM

I havnt heard that been using them for almost 8 years
Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

Re: Fabric Softener - 01/09/13 01:53 PM

Not sure about "hurting" them, but I can tell you that some gliders are very much allergic to fabric softener. In some of them, it causes pretty significant and serious reactions (respiratory distress, eyes swell shut, disorientation, etc).

This was one of the things that has been studied through the SUGAR Group's allergies & Intolerances survey/study and it was found that 2% of glider owners have one or more gliders in their home who have an allergy to fabric softener and/or laundry detergent. It is a pretty small percentage, but a significant issue (as are all allergies) when it does occur.
Posted By: IslandGliders

Re: Fabric Softener - 01/09/13 04:39 PM

I don't use it on the glider laundry just because I have found it leaves a film on stuff, and even seems to make items less absorbent. I don't think it'd "hurt" gliders but it's just a personal preference I have.

I do use fabric softener on my own clothes, but not on my towels.

Re: Fabric Softener - 01/09/13 05:33 PM

Val, how many gliders were included in the study? Were there vet confirmations on these allergies? Because I have so many allergies myself yet I've not seen this in any of the gliders, I find it really interesting (honestly).

I know I've had dogs with various allergies and know that animals, like humans can suffer from allergic reactions to things. (lactose intolerance is a form of allergy).
Posted By: Susan__71

Re: Fabric Softener - 01/09/13 06:12 PM

I heard not to use it but I thought it was because of the smell. And gliders are so sensitive to smell.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Fabric Softener - 01/09/13 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: IslandGliders
I don't use it on the glider laundry just because I have found it leaves a film on stuff, and even seems to make items less absorbent. I don't think it'd "hurt" gliders but it's just a personal preference I have.

I'm like Hannah on this - I don't use it because I know it can reduce fabric's absorption and can leave a film. I like pouches over nest boxes because they absorb urine so they aren't sitting in a puddle (that's an exaggeration, of course, but you know what I mean).
Posted By: Feather

Re: Fabric Softener - 01/09/13 10:14 PM

I don't know about fabric softener, I don't even use it with my laundry so there is none to use on the gliders laundry either.

But dryer sheets do leave a film on things, if you use dryer sheets your supposed to gently wash the lint screen with hot soapy water and a toothbrush.

If you run water on your lint screen and you have been using dryer sheets it will actually keep the water from going through the screen.

This will also inhibit the air flow in your dryer and you could burn out your dryer.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Fabric Softener - 01/09/13 10:21 PM

Owning gliders since 1998, I have always washed their pouches, blankies and repts the same as I do our laundry which included softener sheets.

Until a few years ago, I used whatever brand was on sale (not store brands), and I liked the fresh scent ones or as close as I could get.

Then the ole gal developed an irritation so I had to switch to the "Free" ones for both detergent and dryer sheets.

Didn't see any difference in the gliders.

All that being said, I see no reason gliders, just like people, could not be sensitive to anything that might bother us but I think sometimes we go overboard with our warnings.

Watch your gliders for signs they are in distress or sensitive. If that happens, then take steps to change.

Re: Fabric Softener - 01/10/13 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Dancing
Val, how many gliders were included in the study? Were there vet confirmations on these allergies? Because I have so many allergies myself yet I've not seen this in any of the gliders, I find it really interesting (honestly).

I know I've had dogs with various allergies and know that animals, like humans can suffer from allergic reactions to things. (lactose intolerance is a form of allergy).

The allergies study included over 250 HOMES/owners reporting. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure how many gliders that represents.
In most cases, we WERE able to get confirmation of the allergic reactions - most were to dairy or medications, but there was that small percentage that recorded allergies to fabric softener or laundry detergent.

One of those gliders (Toast) lives in my home. He has such a terrible reaction to any fabric softener or fragrance of any kind that I have to have a special system to alert me to his laundry. (All things in his cage are frog themed). In only moments with contact with these things, his eyes swell shut, his nose starts running and he begins panting and wheezing.

To be honest, I didn't really believe his previous mom when he was surrendered. Until that time, I had not seen this either. I thought maybe she was exaggerating. I learned very quickly that she was not. I cannot even carry him in my bra, pocket or hoodie without him having this reaction - and I have to be sure that the sheet or blanket I use on the bottom of my tent has no fabric softener on it. So, yes, I do know for a fact that it can happen.

Re: Fabric Softener - 01/10/13 03:07 AM

Wow. I was going to ask next about how gliders react to their owner's clothes. Guess you answered that. Honestly, that's sad!

So, is it the "fabric softener" that is causing the reaction or the perfumes in the fabric softener/detergent?

I know there are some perfumes that trigger my allergies. Some don't.
Posted By: StowawayGliders

Re: Fabric Softener - 01/27/13 05:34 AM

I have never had an issue with the gliders, but we use free and clear because my daughter has allergies and I don't put any glider fleece in the dryer, it air dries so quickly, I don't see a point in putting it in there. Poor babies with allergies. frown
Posted By: Countryncrafty

Re: Fabric Softener - 01/27/13 09:36 AM

Val, would/could eucalyptus and/or lavender be a option*? Made from true plant oils not the "pefume" type found in store bought (both fabric softener and detergent)?

Re: Fabric Softener - 01/27/13 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Dancing
So, is it the "fabric softener" that is causing the reaction or the perfumes in the fabric softener/detergent?

To be honest, this is a question for more study. The SUGAR Group's study was initially aimed at identifying what is really being seen in gliders so that we can tailor more detailed studies.

I can tell you that for my little guy, it is fabric softener specifically. I can wash his items in any ol' detergent with no issues.
Posted By: Paula0442

Re: Fabric Softener - 01/27/13 06:14 PM

I use it because the fleece shocks me when it's dry, if I don't. I have a real thing about being shocked. :o(
Posted By: SLHamil

Re: Fabric Softener - 02/02/13 04:09 PM

You can use 3/4 cup of vinegar as a fabric softener. I have super sensitive skin and use either vinegar or dryer balls instead of dryer sheets and softeners.
Posted By: 6ftGlider

Re: Fabric Softener - 03/19/14 01:27 AM

Paula0442: Your sig is funny.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL