GliderCENTRAL

non=stick cookware

Posted By: orangecrush

non=stick cookware - 08/11/15 05:34 PM

Was told that we should never use non-stick (teflon) cookware within 25' of our gliders.

Fact or Fiction? (hope it's fiction, since grilling cheese samiches on the floor in the bedroom has gotten ridiculous).
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: non=stick cookware - 08/11/15 06:04 PM

Teflon non-stick pans emit fumes that are TOXIC to birds. It has been assumed that this would also be a danger to sugar gliders and other small pets.

Read the label on your pan - Many non-stick pans now have a ceramic or other solid non-stick surface that does not emit the teflon fumes.

Another option is to prepare your grill cheese sandwiches in a stainless steel fry pan - the butter on the bread keeps it from sticking if you let the pan get hot before you drop the sandwich on to the surface. You can also use Pam on the pan before you put it on the burner to prevent sticking.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: non=stick cookware - 08/11/15 06:14 PM

Here is an archived thread about this subject.

My gliders have lived into their teens, and I have used both teflon coated and stainless steel cookware. Will admit it is rare I burn things, but it has happened.

Candy has given you some good advice.

I always prefer common sense over they said, but think I would be a little careful cooking in close proximity to any animal. Have you seen how far gliders can throw things shock

Posted By: Feather

Re: non=stick cookware - 08/11/15 06:51 PM

I have parrots and one Teflon pan, it is used for eggs, french toast and grill cheese.

I stand right there and babysit that pan when I am using it, "with the exhaust fan on".

The biggest thing is not letting it over heat. My parrots and sugar gliders are in a bedroom away from the kitchen and I will close their door when I am using that pan.

Just be safe and watch the pan while you are cooking. Those fumes are also dangerous to you too.
Posted By: spiceglider

Re: non=stick cookware - 09/18/15 10:29 PM

I use the nonstick ceramic and it works just as good as teflon. I've cooked within feet of my sugar gliders with no short or long term problems
Posted By: jada515

Re: non=stick cookware - 09/21/15 01:55 AM

Teflon does emit toxic fumes. It can cause problems for all small animals and there is unclear research on long term effects on humans. We use stainless steel and cast iron. As long as your cast iron is properly seasoned or stainless steel has some sort of fat (butter, pam, Crisco, margarine) in it and its not too hot, your food should really stick.
Posted By: Dean

Re: non=stick cookware - 02/26/16 05:47 PM

I don't risk it and don't have any teflon in the house >< I also use nonstick ceramic as a substitute.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL