GliderCENTRAL

Non stick pans...

Posted By: CKC44

Non stick pans... - 10/01/19 02:45 AM

I have seen a few posts on this but they were kind of old.
Should we buy copper pans and ditch the non stick? ohwell
Posted By: Hutch

Re: Non stick pans... - 10/01/19 04:24 AM

Unless you're cooking your gliders (not recommended), they will be fine.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Non stick pans... - 10/01/19 09:24 AM

The problem with non stick or Teflon are the fumes at high heat. And the gliders proximity to the area.

I have stainless steel at home and copper frying pan in the RV.

Re: Non stick pans... - 10/01/19 01:07 PM

Thank you both for the replies!
(The mini comedy show as well - haha!)

I think we have one stainless steel pan. smile
I have wanted to try copper, maybe we'll buy one of those.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Non stick pans... - 10/01/19 02:11 PM

IMO, common sense needs to play a big part in issues like this. Keeping your gliders out of the kitchen when cooking will more than likely solve the problem unless you aren't that good a cook and have burning/smoking problems on a daily basis In that case, may I suggest an outside grill :rofl2:

Not everyone can afford to replace their non-stick pans. These days most of us don't fry foods like we did years ago, and stove top cooking has changed quite a bit.

Archived thread on non stick cookware

ETA: We have a thread in our Fact or Fiction Forum, so I am going to move this topic there.

See previous discussion in this forum here.

Re: Non stick pans... - 10/01/19 09:35 PM

Oh my, I wasn't planning on having them in the kitchen when I am cooking.
Their cage though is not really far from the kitchen area in or apartment, so that is why I was concerned.

Thank you for all the opinions and the comedy. :hdance: :hdance:

Re: Non stick pans... - 10/01/19 10:29 PM

You would be surprised how many crazy posts I've seen over the years. Gliders in the kitchen would be a tame one crazy
Posted By: Hutch

Re: Non stick pans... - 10/05/19 03:59 AM

With the other replies, I feel I should clarify my answer a bit, though my conclusion remains the same...

I've had my four since Jan '16, and they are just a bit older than that. As long as I've had them, they've been just outside the kitchen. 90% of the time I bother to cook, it is with non-stick/Teflon pans. I will be the first to acknowlede that I have four crazy balls of dryer lint, but I'm confident they arrived that way and it is not due to fumes from proximity to the kitchen.

This issue has come up in medical environments (I work in one) and it was determined the risk was overstated short of intentionally overheating a pan or dish with your face directly over it or in a small, enclosed environment. It would take me a while to find the studies, so honestly, I'm not going to go looking again, but they're out there is you google and are patient with sorting through the results. Most of the top results claim there is a problem, but offer not evidence or test/trials data whereas the ones that dispute it have put it to the test and there are peer-reviewed articles.

So, I stick by my original answer of not putting your suggies into a hot non-stick frying pan and they'll be fine... even if there are days you wonder if breading them might be an improvement. (Gywn & Morgana, I am looking at you!)
Posted By: Claralice

Re: Non stick pans... - 10/06/19 03:25 AM

LOL! Hutch, the struggle is real!
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Non stick pans... - 10/06/19 10:24 AM

So reading this post after Hutch's reply brought back a very old memory...

Back in the day about 23 years ago, my 17 year old son (now 40) came home late and was hungry. He used one of my very expensive brand new Pampered Chef Teflon cook pans to boil water for ramen noodles. He fell asleep while waiting for water to boil... I remember waking up to the smell... Well, let's say when I found the smell, I'm not sure what I was upset at the most... The brand new pan ruined, the fact of the danger of the fumes, or the stupidity of my son... :hit: shakehead

Let's just say that was a scolding he never forgot to this day...

Re: Non stick pans... - 10/06/19 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ladymagyver
I'm not sure what I was upset at the most... The brand new pan ruined, the fact of the danger of the fumes, or the stupidity of my son... :hit: shakehead

My guess .... the brand new pan :rofl2:

Re: Non stick pans... - 10/06/19 04:23 PM

Silly & Informative! Thank you!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL