GliderCENTRAL

USDA Lineage Requirements

Posted By: Hperk

USDA Lineage Requirements - 10/26/10 01:50 AM

I have owned and loved gliders for over 2 yrs now.
I am new to the breeding community, and am in the process of licensing with USDA.
I have limited lineage (parents and 1 side of grandparents) on one pair of gliders, and only parents on the other.
I have looked over the paperwork and am not finding requirements for lineage specified by USDA.
Please do not think I am uneducated when it comes to breeding, I have a degree in Animal Science and also Forestry and Conservation. I only wish to make sure of the USDA guidelines if anyone can help!
:grey: :wfb:
Posted By: gliderma

Re: USDA Lineage Requirements - 10/26/10 03:00 AM

If you only have 2 breeding females, you do not have to be USDA licensed. They will not do it until you have more than 3 females of breeding age. I'm not sure on the lineage requirements, so maybe someone else can help with that.
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: USDA Lineage Requirements - 10/26/10 03:19 AM

Unfortunately, the USDA has no requirements on lineage. As Lynn stated, you currently do not qualify for licensing. If you are planning on adding more gliders, then you may qualify and can then apply.

The glider community puts a lot of emphasis on lineage with sugar gliders due to the amount of inbreeding and line breeding that was done in the beginning years of gliders in the US, as well as the amount of mill bred gliders out there.

Because gliders are shipped all over the United States, there is no way, other than lineage, to know if 2 gliders are related or not.

It would most likely not be recommended to breed with such a small knowledge of their lineage as stated. I would recommend that you contact the breeder you obtained your gliders from to get the rest of the lineage.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: USDA Lineage Requirements - 11/03/10 03:37 AM

USDA licensing as far as I know does not have any rules about Lineage. I dont remember any here. Its not like AKC. Its funny, because a friend on the phone last night made a comment that its a shame there isnt some form of AKC for gliders. Problem with that is that it would probably require some genetic profiling? etc, and a high cost.

I personally think that if USDA would require some form of lineage for gliders, it would make mill breeding a bit more difficult. Though Im sure they would create a few false lines to get through the laws if that were the case. Which is where the genetic part comes in and well.. high cost for the profiling alone.

Oh well, I guess given time, all will work out.. Ill make a deal with ya though.. If I ever win the big lottery, Ill be more then happy to pay for whatever needs to be done. laugh Count me in.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL