GliderCENTRAL

New Law in IL??????

Posted By: MissTiesa

New Law in IL?????? - 02/07/11 12:01 AM

So I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday and he said something about IL implementing a new law that it will be illegal to bring sugar gliders into the state. I was just seeing if there is a specific site I can go to in order to verify this. If there are any sites or information anyone can give me that would be great.

Thank you smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New Law in IL?????? - 02/07/11 12:20 AM

I'm googling for a press release or something...haven't found anything of that nature yet. Did your friend say where she got her information?

Re: New Law in IL?????? - 02/07/11 12:31 AM

He said his sister told him about it when she heard about my gliders. He said he's going to look into it more for me I'm trying to find info now too, lemme know if u find anything, I appreciate it!
Posted By: Cora

Re: New Law in IL?????? - 02/07/11 12:55 AM

I dunno, here is update info on legal/illegal states
http://sugargliderpetguide.com/sugar-glider-laws-where-are-they-legal.html

Re: New Law in IL?????? - 02/07/11 01:03 AM

I read that site too, Cora. It said they are illegal to import in IL. I thought it was illegal to import gliders into the US at all anymore, not a specific state ban. dunno

Re: New Law in IL?????? - 02/07/11 01:03 AM

Thank you much. I'm not really planning on IMPORTING any gliders, lol. Whenever I adopt a new one, I'm going to do it in person and within the state, so I don't think the law will affect me. Thanks for the link. smile
Posted By: DianeR

Re: New Law in IL?????? - 04/09/11 10:14 AM

Originally Posted By: lovely1inred
I read that site too, Cora. It said they are illegal to import in IL. I thought it was illegal to import gliders into the US at all anymore, not a specific state ban. dunno

This is current information about sugar glider importation into the US:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/animal_imports_pets.shtml

OTHER

APHIS does not have animal health requirements for the importation of fish, reptiles, lions, tigers, bears, mink, rabbits, sugar gliders, foxes, monkeys, endangered species, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, mice, rats, chinchillas, squirrels, mongoose, chimpmunks, ferrets, or other rodents provided they have not been inoculated with any pathogens for scientific purposes. If the latter is the case, they require an import permit (VS Form17-129) and can only be released to an approved laboratory.

Diane
Posted By: Trigger

Re: New Law in IL?????? - 04/09/11 02:00 PM

The site Cora linked doesn't state whether they mean import from another country or any other state period, their legallity on Georgia is incorrect and I have heard of several in Utah having and breeding so I question the info on that state as well. Maybe quite outdated info?
Posted By: WintersSong

Re: New Law in IL?????? - 04/10/11 10:52 AM

The information on New York is incomplete, too, as sugar gliders are not legal in all of New York state.

Also keep in mind the information on that link (the one Cora posted) was posted in 2008.

Re: New Law in IL?????? - 04/10/11 04:32 PM

I guess the most accurate info would be to call State Parks and Wildlife anywhere that you are, and not just rely on websites. As has been pointed out, websites are not always the most updated.
Posted By: Marsupial_Mayhem

Re: New Law in IL?????? - 04/10/11 06:54 PM

Also, the law in Iowa changed in 2010. If you breed any amount at all, you need to have a permit which is $175 a year.
Posted By: Marsupial_Mayhem

Re: New Law in IL?????? - 04/10/11 06:55 PM

I have spoken to Alden who lives in the Chicago area and she says gliders are legal in the state.
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: New Law in IL?????? - 04/10/11 07:47 PM

I haven't heard otherwise, Danielle!

There are a few breeders in IL, and I know that Elena is on good terms with her USDA inspector. I think she would have been informed if the law changed!

There are new laws in effect to try to stop Puppy mills, and those laws affect all pets sold - either by stores or by shelters.

http://network.bestfriends.org/campaigns/puppymills/16574/news.aspx
Posted By: kjgoulet

Re: New Law in IL?????? - 04/10/11 10:44 PM

I think it would be your best bet to ask your state and local wildlife division. I sure hope they aren't! You just got Winry.. Good luck in your search smile
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL