GliderCENTRAL

Georgia - can only buy from USDA breeder?

Posted By: meri

Georgia - can only buy from USDA breeder? - 01/15/12 09:54 PM

Help me out.

I am working with someone in Georgia who is trying to figure it out as well. They are saying they asked to get a USDA licesnse to breed their gliders but they were told they did not have enough breeding females to get the license. So, they were told they are allowed to sell in Georgia without the license since they do not qualify for a license.

They said they have concluded that anyone who does not have enough gliders to qualify for a USDA license can sell to Georgians.

I thought that every glider in Georgia needed to ahve paperwork that it came form a USDA licensed breeder. Am I wrong or has this changed/ been reinterpreted (many of the pet laws seem very open to interpretation, so maybe how the officials interpret and enforce it is what is the important thing to know?)? If I am wrong then I have wrongfully turned people down in the past (sorry!).

Is there anyone who has sold a glider in Georgia without a USDA license? Is this actually ok???

Thank you to all who have dealt with Georgia laws for responses.
Posted By: TinaPa

Re: Georgia - can only buy from USDA breeder? - 01/15/12 10:20 PM

Honestly, I have no idea. You may have to contact the USDA and ask them specifically because you would be dealing with them if you were breaking the law. If worse come to worse, you could always find a breeder who does have a USDA license, but if they are not giving her the license and allowing her to breed and sell without it, then I don't see why you would not be allowed to purchase a glider from her.
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Georgia - can only buy from USDA breeder? - 01/15/12 11:44 PM

I would recommend that you contact the USDA in that region to ask. If you can, e-mail them so you have the response in writing.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Georgia - can only buy from USDA breeder? - 01/16/12 12:47 AM

Keep in mind that the USDA and Georgia are two different things.

USDA is Federal and states you must have more than 3 breeding females to qualify for a breeder's license.

Georgia is State and says to legally own a glider (or gliders) in Georgia, you must have proof that you purchased those gliders from a USDA licensed breeder.

Just because a person in Georgia may not qualify for a FEDERAL license to breed does not mean they can forego or ignore Georgia law that says they need to be able to show the paperwork for each glider they own (that it was bought from a USDA licensed breeder).
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Georgia - can only buy from USDA breeder? - 01/16/12 02:59 AM

Excellent point Dancing! (DUH on my part! :willy: )
Posted By: TinaPa

Re: Georgia - can only buy from USDA breeder? - 01/16/12 05:33 AM

I didn't think about that either O.o
Posted By: Mrs_Shay

Re: Georgia - can only buy from USDA breeder? - 03/12/13 05:59 PM

I'm in Alabama and from what I understand you can purchase a glider in Georgia, but it has to be from a USDA licensed breeder and you must have paperwork or your glider can be taken away.

I was recently contacted from someone in Georgia and they wanted to know if I was licensed.

Dancing is correct. The USDA and the State of Georgia are two different organizations.

I read somewhere that even the vets are supposed to be checking for paperwork when seeing gliders.

I would sure hate gliders taken and put down because the state law was not understood.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL