GliderCENTRAL

HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!!

Posted By: Anonymous

HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/08/09 11:31 PM

How has NO ONE been talking about the new piece of legislation about to go under consideration?!?!? HR699, if passed, will ban the selling or buying of ALL exotic pets not native to the state of Florida. This ranges from sugar gliders, to most snakes, to hamsters, to the simple beta fish! This bans them all people. Reptiles, birds, mammals, amphibians, invertebrates, and, of course, suggies. And it does not matter if the animal is captive bred. All CB and WC exotics will be illegal! Why has no one been talking about this here? This is not simply a ban on all animals being sold. HR699 will allow all legally purchased and owned animals before it to be kept by the owners, but they will be illegal to import, export, sell, buy, or transfer them over state lines. And you would never be able to get anymore if the species of animal you are after is deemed potentially harmful to the environment or ecosystem.

This is happening because of a problem that is going on right here in Florida. You see, uneducated and generally, for lack of a better word, stupid people sometimes decide to get burmese pythons thinking they can care for their size and requirements. When they, eventually and surely, get too big for them to continue caring for, they LET THEM GO!!!! How can you just let an innocent animal go?! Its beyond me. Anyway, the Everglades really agree with these animals, and they are now invading the ecosystem and competing with alligators for food.

Please! Let the legislation know that they CANNOT do this. They cannot punish all of us for the mistakes of others. We need more regulation, not total banning! Call, write, e-Mail, march. LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD! Stop HR669!!!

The HR669 will be taken under consideration on April 23 by 15 congressmen

For more information:
Full Explanation- http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h669ih.txt.pdf

Pijac- http://www.pijac.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=504

State Representatives:
House- https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

Congress- http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/

Please remember this will affect sugar gliders everywhere. If this gets passed, all exotic animals will never be sold again. No imports or exports, and no transporting over state lines. STOP THIS FROM BEING PASSED!!!

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS!!! - 04/08/09 11:41 PM

This is the first I have heard of this. I will read and do what I can to voice my opinion.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/08/09 11:45 PM

I heard about it from the reptile community, which is going CRAZY! Just type "H699" in the YouTube search bar, and videos from various reptile owners such as Caterpillargirrafe and Cavajason show up. And SnakebytesTV will be making a video soon!

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/08/09 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: RaiSaix
This is a ban on KEEPING them. It will be made illegal to keep your pets people. And they will make you give them up to shelters!!!

If this is a ban nationwide, I don't understand what they're planning on doing with all these animals? They go to shelters, then what? That doesn't make sense...if they're banned they can't be adopted out. This seems radical. It would mean they'd have to kill everything? I'm not understanding this.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/09/09 12:18 AM

Hmmmmm. It appears I and many others have gotten this wrong. We may keep all animals legally owned before the ban, but may not transport them over state lines or import or export them. Sorry. My mistake.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/09/09 12:26 AM

So, I read a little more about this HR669 online and though I didn't read a ton because the bill itself is crazy long, it seems to focus mostly on stopping the importation of wild, non-native animals into the US. The sugar gliders we have are captive-bred and have been in the US for years. Most reptiles, like boas and pythons, that people have as pets are captive bred as well. In fact, tons of exotic animals kept as pets are captive bred! So, if I'm understanding this correctly (which I may not be...I'll have to do more research) already established breeding programs for exotic animals that are captive-bred in the US should not really be affected. People may be panicking for no reason.

This is a really interesting piece of legislation though. Thanks for bringing it to our attention! I'm going to learn more about it because I don't know if I totally understand it.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/09/09 12:29 AM

No. Any species not NATIVE to the U.S. will be banned, because they still have the potential to be let go, or escape, and become established in the ecosystem here and spreading, they are including captive bred. I WAS wrong about them taking away animals, but you will never be allowed to purchase and own another sugar glider if this bill gets passed.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/09/09 12:30 AM

This is rediculous. I'm not too worried about it. I don't see them actually following through with it. I'll still voice my opinion to them and help fight it, but I doubt they are going to pass this. I can see them making stricter laws on the owning/selling etc. That, I think, would actually be a good thing.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/09/09 12:37 AM

Agreed. I am in total favor of more regulation and permits required for animals. People should be forced to do research before getting any animal, in my opinion.

The only reason I could see them not going through with this is money. The exotic pet trade makes about 2 billion dollars a year, and thats just the animals. I don't know how much it is including accesories such as cages or food.

But I do however see this as laziness. Instead of enacting laws that actually help the current situation of animals, their taking the easy way out by just banning them outright. Not much suprise, really.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/09/09 12:48 AM

Hmmmm...maybe this is more serious than I thought. I don't think I got to the important part of this piece of legislation when I was reading it and gave up. But all the reptile forums online are out of control worried about this thing. Kind of scary if it's all true...

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/09/09 12:55 AM

I think reptile owners are so worried because most of them become small backyard breeders. So now they have nothing to do with all of their excess animals. But really its because when you get a snake, you just can't stop getting more.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/09/09 12:59 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but this all seems to have started when I think it was Dade County Zoo did this thing where people with unwanted exotic animals (pets) could NO questions asked turn them over to them. People were lined up with many many exotics...including suggies. It was really very sad to see on the news. It wasnt long after that that I heard about this new possible law.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/09/09 01:01 AM

Hmmmmmmmm. I heard nothing of that. But it really does sound sad!

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/09/09 01:13 AM

It was sad...young kids with their parents had gliders in pouches and handed them over because they couldnt care for them anymore...it was more involved than they thought. Of course there were many different exotics as well but the whole suggie thing made me angry.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/09/09 01:25 AM

It would make me sad, too.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/09/09 03:30 AM

Just to clear something up about HR 669.... All species nonnative to the US with some exceptions listed in the bill would be required to be put on a approved or unapproved list. To justify being put on the approved list, the USFW would have to say that there is no way the species is or could be dangerous in the future and that it has no possibility of becoming a nuisance species (Also they have to take into account possible climate changes). The list is over 40 pages long and the time frame to do all this would be 36 months. Once a species is unapproved I believe any person could petition for a change (This is also the case with scheduled drugs, but no one has ever reduced a drug's schedule) Any species unapproved would still be allowed to be kept, but not bred or transported across state lines. This would essentially end the exotic pet trade. I'm a pretty open minded person and support animal welfare groups, but this is the line. Don't be fooled into thinking this has any good intentions. This bills is the second one to be proposed in 2 years and is pushed forward by HSUS. The ultimate goal of this is to ELIMINATE people from owning exotics. There are a whole mess of problems with the exotic pet trade, but banning us all from having them in the future is not answer!

EDIT: I don't think this has anything to do with any one particular incident of animal neglect. That happens everyday, it's a sad reality of our society having pets. This is an agenda that has been pushed for years by animal rights groups, specifically HSUS and PETA. They have been trying to get this done forever and using extreme cases and scare tactics(stories about tiger and chimp attacks) to dwell up fear.
I always hear permits brought up, but never how they would work or what effect they would have. They seem like they would be fairly ineffective.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/09/09 04:25 AM

This would also mean the end to transporting animals over state lines for get-togethers, traveling, visiting, etc. This IS a big deal, it is not worked out well yet, so everyone is assuming it will not pass and many are not doing anything about it...but what if it does?

HR669 is not just about Florida, it is a national concern, every state will be affected as this is a federal issue. Please get involved. Remember when writing letters/e-mails to be respectful and use facts rather than being angry, abrasive, and emotional - non of those will be helpful to our side of the cause.

Here is another site discussing HR669 with a sample letter you can send if you don't know what to write yourself (along with links to e-mail addresses of the committee members);
http://www.austinherpsociety.org/newsite/austinHerps/HR669%20Grassroots%20Organizing%20101.html
Posted By: silverwolf

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/09/09 04:37 AM

I will play devil's advocate for a minute here. If they ban us having these exotic pets and many people own them and don't want to worry about having them destroyed what alternatives does it leave people that have these pets already? I can see it causing more problems because I can see even more people being willing to turn them loose free rather than the alternative. For places like florida that would cause an even bigger problem than they have now because now they have lots of exotics running loose and causing havoc with the ecosystem. Unfortunately I can even see suggie owners doing this. Although for many it would mean a death sentence others would adapt in certain places and survive causing all kinds of havoc with the native animals. This legislation was not well thought out and I will definately contact my representative and explain how this is a horrible bill that will cause much more chaos than good.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/09/09 04:50 AM

This actually seems to be more the case with S373, the pending python ban. If you have not heard, there is also a proposed amendment to the Lacey Act adding all members of the python family to the act. This is a little extreme considering the motivation behind it is burmese pythons in the everglades. There are many separate species of pythons however, and only one had become a nuisance in a small part of a state. BTW ball pythons are probably the biggest item in the snake industry, and these would in turn be banned. This would harm many breeders and cause hundreds of thousands of small harmless snakes to be destroyed. With HR669 owners would be allowed to keep their current pets, grandfather clause, but the bill would make it in essence impossible for the industry to put out more (legally) So instead of taking the direct route of banning exotic animals, it would become impossible to find and transport exotic animals. Even if this passes I don't see any plausible way to enforce this. Will they check all animals at regular intervals to make sure they are not breeding? Will they post law enforcement at all state borders to make sure people aren't smuggling birds or sugar gliders or snakes? The whole thing seems silly and impossible to implement.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/09/09 05:21 AM

I sent my letters to the represenatives

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/09/09 05:33 AM

Originally Posted By: peem
Correct me if I am wrong but this all seems to have started when I think it was Dade County Zoo did this thing where people with unwanted exotic animals (pets) could NO questions asked turn them over to them. People were lined up with many many exotics...including suggies. It was really very sad to see on the news. It wasnt long after that that I heard about this new possible law.

yep, that was like a month or so ago, that zoo is like 2 mins, from my house. it was sad, my vet was one of the vets that was checking the exotic unwanted pets as there were being turned in. frown

i'm "trying" to think if there is something good that can come out of this HR669.... and it would be to finally put a stop to the mill breeders from these exotic...

Posted By: hwh4ev

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/09/09 01:48 PM

i watched animal planet last month and it was abt. the snakes being let loose in florida and the havoc it was causing, killing dogs, attacking little kids in their back
yard, etc. i knew the government was going to do something
but banning all exotics is going way overboard. i missed
the news abt. the zoo taking in pets, no questions asked.
i don't know why they have to add sugar gliders in that bill. snakes, i understand, they get to big, people let
them loose and they kill, sugar gliders do not.
i am going to check out this bill and do what i can.

regards,
nancy
p.s. it sounds like it would put a stop to any breeder in florida, not just mill breeders.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/09/09 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: silverwolf
I will play devil's advocate for a minute here. If they ban us having these exotic pets and many people own them and don't want to worry about having them destroyed what alternatives does it leave people that have these pets already? I can see it causing more problems because I can see even more people being willing to turn them loose free rather than the alternative. For places like florida that would cause an even bigger problem than they have now because now they have lots of exotics running loose and causing havoc with the ecosystem. Unfortunately I can even see suggie owners doing this. Although for many it would mean a death sentence others would adapt in certain places and survive causing all kinds of havoc with the native animals. This legislation was not well thought out and I will definately contact my representative and explain how this is a horrible bill that will cause much more chaos than good.

The ban is not on currently owned animals, from my understanding, so no one would have to put animals down (except the mill breeders that have them as stock not pets and wouldn't want the added cost. AND as we know, some of these mills already release unwanted animals anyway) shakehead

It will prohibit the buying/selling of and transfer across state lines of all of these animals. I don't know what that would mean for someone that has to move out of their state. dunno
Posted By: sweetReaper

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/10/09 03:29 AM

I made a post about this not too long ago
Posted By: sweetheart26

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/10/09 06:18 AM

I thought it was just for forida? Not for other States.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/10/09 10:10 PM

No! This is for ALL 50 States!

WE NEED TO GET ACTIVE! CALL, WRITE, PETITION, AND LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!

NO ON HR669!!!

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/10/09 10:41 PM

COME ON PEOPLE!!!

Listen, I am usually much more composed and mature when I am writing on the internet. But this is a very big deal. And for everyone of you here, in America or not, this WILL impact you. If you want to move, your animal will have to be left behind and killed. If you want a Glider and the U.S. is the only way to get one, you can't because there will be no more American breeders! This is serious! Why does no one care??!?!?!?

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/10/09 10:57 PM

Whoa! Who says no one cares? You opened my eyes to it. I care. There are other people who posted here, they care. And just because there aren't more posts doesn't mean other people don't care. Maybe they're just reading this but not posting. It is a big deal, as you have mentioned, but calm down and take a deep breath.

If it makes you feel any better I have started spreading the word to friends and family because of your post. Others may be doing the same. smile

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/10/09 10:58 PM

I'm sorry.... I just am a worrier.

Please post here if you helped make a difference!

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/10/09 11:09 PM

I am a worrier too! And I totally understand your frustration! I also think it would be great if people post how they've help voice their opinion...awesome idea!

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/10/09 11:13 PM

I've sent about 5 emails to my local representative, and will soon be calling EACH member of the 15 person commitee, as well as writing!

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/11/09 12:19 AM

Just because I am not posting more please dont think I am not following this...I keep checking to see what others are writing and to see if anything new comes up...I am sure many others are keeping a close eye on this as well. I know I am sure glad you brought this to our attention!

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/11/09 04:04 AM

i just copied this post to 2 other forum boards to help spread the word!!!!
chins-n-hedgies & HHC...

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/11/09 05:05 AM

Thank you so much!

I keep wondering, what will reptile keepers do? If all ,ice and things are banned from being bought, (will they be?)how will they feed their animals. Furthermore, even if mice are not banned, feeder farms and even pet store chains such as Pet Co and Pet Smart have said they may close their dorors, so this STILL leaves the owner at a loss!!!

Can someone please post this on Glider Gossip? I can't seem to log onto my account there...
Posted By: zookeeper18

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/11/09 06:22 AM

Emailed the reps that would take out of district emails. Thanks for bring this to our attention.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/11/09 06:00 PM

Go to www.nohr669.com to stop this. They have a pre-written letter that you can Email to your senator and you can also add your peice to it.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/11/09 07:29 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: sketchyglider

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/11/09 07:36 PM

I am printing off stuff about HR669 and i am going to take it to my work and hand it out to customers. I work at animart and we have lots and lots of customers that get food for their exotics through us.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/11/09 08:08 PM

I was thinking about handing them out at school. But kids don't care about anything not directly related to themselves.

Still, I'll try.
Posted By: hwh4ev

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/12/09 01:35 AM

our letters our sent to our representative opposing hr669.

regards,
nancy in detroit

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/12/09 09:42 PM

Before you go crazy over this, read the actual bill. http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-669
Unlike all the rumors going around, the bill will not prohibit the breading,ownership, or sale of ALL nonnative (exotic pets). I did research on the bill for a class last semester (Masters in Environmental Science).

This bill is a good idea. It bans animal species that rapidly grow, reproduce, and take over the native wildlife. It is the animal version of banning Kudzu or purple loosestrife. This might have stopped the release of Africanized Honeybees if implemented in Mexico.

Again, I repeat. This will not ban all animals not originally found in America. Only ones like the Norwegian Rat which are a great nuisance, have few or no natural predators, cause high economic losses, and out compete native mice for food, shelter, etc.

Get educated and read. Don't take other peoples words as law. If you read this bill and still have a problem with it, then go to your house of representatives. JUST READ IT FIRST!
Posted By: LabNGliderMom

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/12/09 10:05 PM

*Be advised an APPROVED and an UNAPPROVED list of animals WILL be a part of this bill- it is important if you own NON-US ENVIRONMENT THREATENING exotic species that you do what you can to get them on the APPORVED list. ANY animal NOT on the approved list- EVEN if it is also not on the BANNED list WILL BE BANNED. You will NOT have to stop OWNING them- but you WILL be required to get a PERMIT to keep them, NEVER breed them again, NEVER sell them again AND never travel across state lines with them again.*

I suggest the following websites for more info on HR669...

http://www.petbusiness.com/articles/2009...cies?print=true
http://usark.org/uploads/HR669.pdf
http://nohr669.com/
Posted By: Iceguru

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/13/09 02:33 AM

I want to know one thing if this bill passes can my glider come with me too Virginia this summer?
Posted By: MissSarah

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/13/09 02:41 PM

Just sent my letter in!
Posted By: CharmedSuggies

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/13/09 04:08 PM

Best believe I sent my letter in!! And also wrote a personal email to my representative!

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/14/09 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: saturnhaze
Before you go crazy over this, read the actual bill. http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-669
Unlike all the rumors going around, the bill will not prohibit the breading,ownership, or sale of ALL nonnative (exotic pets). I did research on the bill for a class last semester (Masters in Environmental Science).

This bill is a good idea. It bans animal species that rapidly grow, reproduce, and take over the native wildlife. It is the animal version of banning Kudzu or purple loosestrife. This might have stopped the release of Africanized Honeybees if implemented in Mexico.

Again, I repeat. This will not ban all animals not originally found in America. Only ones like the Norwegian Rat which are a great nuisance, have few or no natural predators, cause high economic losses, and out compete native mice for food, shelter, etc.

Get educated and read. Don't take other peoples words as law. If you read this bill and still have a problem with it, then go to your house of representatives. JUST READ IT FIRST!

Originally Posted By: Iceguru
I want to know one thing if this bill passes can my glider come with me too Virginia this summer?

For the life of me, I can't find that distinction anywhere. Could you point me in the right direction of that information?

From the information I have now: No.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/14/09 02:02 AM

I believe what it actually states is that each non-native species will be examined and if enough evidence is provided that the species is a danger, then they will be removed from the breeding and importing world. Now sugar gliders...they don't really have any "dangerous " qualities. If they were to get loose, they would most likely die. They wouldn't pose a threat to other wildlife (like the poster above me mentioned about that specific kind of rat)
The policy also states that if enough information can not be found on the animal, they will still be allowed to be bred and imported. I don't know, I could be wrong but I just don't see this law as a threat to the animals I have, because I know that they would have little chance of ever posing a threat..and this is what the basis of the law lays on.

Federal Bill HR 669 bans interstate travel - 04/14/09 02:54 AM

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I didn't know where else it should go, and I didn't see it mentioned any where else yet. Time is short!

Do you have a sugar glider, rodent, bird, ferret, turtle, lizard, hermit crab, fish, or snake of any kind as a pet or help find homes for them? If so, the following federal bill could make it impossible for you to transport your pet across state lines - this includes your sugar gliders, finches, parakeets, ferrets, tortoises, iguanas, and guinea pigs.

CONGRESSIONAL HEARING BANNING NONNATIVE SPECIES APRIL 23

ON April 23rd 2009 The Natural Resources Committee of the U.S. Congress will hold a hearing on H.R. 669, a resolution that will in effect ban importation, INTERSTATE TRANSPORT, and the private possession of most birds, small mammals, reptiles, and fish as pets. Should HR669 be adopted as written only the following non-native animals would be allowed:

any cat (Felis catus)
cattle or oxen (Bos taurus)
chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus)
dog (Canis lupus familiaris)
donkey or [censored] (Equus asinus)
domesticated members of the family Anatidae (geese)
duck (domesticated Anas spp.)
goat (Capra aegagrus hircus)
goldfish (Carassius auratus auratus)
horse (Equus caballus)
llama (Lama glama)
mule or hinny (Equus caballus x E. asinus)
pig or hog (Sus scrofa domestica)
domesticated varieties of rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus)
sheep (Ovis aries)

Should this resolution be adopted into law as written it will have a devastating impact on every pet owner in the United States. Action is needed TODAY to protect your rights to keep your pets!

THE ISSUE

The Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act (H.R. 669), introduced by Del. Madeleine Bordallo (D-Guam) Chair of the Subcommittee on Insular Affairs, Oceans and Wildlife of the House Natural Resources Committee would totally revamp how nonnative species are regulated under the Lacey Act.

Currently, the Fish and Wildlife Service is required to demonstrate that a species is injurious [harmful] to health and welfare of humans, the interests of agriculture, horticulture or forestry, and the welfare and survival of wildlife resources of the U.S.

HR 669 substantially complicates that process by compelling the Service to produce two lists after conducting a risk assessment for each nonnative wildlife species to determine if it is likely to "cause economic or environmental harm or harm to other animal species' health or human health." In order to be placed on the "Approved List" it must be established that the species has not, or is not likely, to cause "harm" anywhere in the US. Species that are considered potentially harmful would be placed on an "Unapproved List." Furthermore, HR 669 would essentially ban all species that do not appear on the Approved List, regardless of whether or not they have ever been petitioned for listing or are sufficiently well studied to enable a listing determination.

Species not appearing on the "Approved List" could not be imported into the United States; therefore, all unapproved nonnative species could not be moved interstate. In addition, trade in all such unlisted species would come to a halt - possession would be limited and all breeding would cease. Unless those species are included on the approved list import, export, transport, and breeding would be prohibited. Exceptions are limited and would not be available to pet owners across the nation.

THE IMPACT

Non-native species in the pet trade encompass virtually every bird, reptile, fish and a number of mammals (e.g., hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, FERRETS) commonly kept as pets. It is immaterial under HR 669 that:

- The vast majority of these nonnative species in the pet trade have been in the United States in large numbers for decades, some for hundreds of years, and have not proven to be an environmental problem.
- Only a small number of species kept as pets have caused environmental problems, and this has generally been on a very localized basis (i.e. southern Florida, Hawaii).
- Most states have exercised their authority to regulate problem species within their own borders through a mixture of management regimes ranging from permit systems to bans.
- The HR 669 listing criteria mandates proving a negative â€" that no harm has or is likely to occur within whole of the entire United States.
- The "risk assessment" process is too limited in scope and application and should instead be a a broader "risk analysis" that also takes into consideration socio-economic factors and mitigation (management) measures that might be utilized by the federal and state agencies.

HR 669 would employ a 2-step process of a Preliminary and a Final Approved List along with the Services having to promulgate regulations not only to deal with creation of the lists but also regulating all aspects of this rather complex bill. The Service would have to complete major portions of the list and regulation process within 24 months of passage. Imagine how the Service will be able to conduct the required risk assessment outlined in HR 669 within these timeframes when it takes on average 4 years for the Service to find a species harmful under the current Lacey Act. The bill sets up the under-resourced Service for failure and numerous lawsuits by activist groups.

Re: Federal Bill HR 669 bans interstate travel - 04/14/09 03:24 AM

The way I read this is: Unless an animal is "approved" through a rather lengthy process, it is "banned". Banned means NO interstate travel - what if your vet is in another state? What if you're forced to move to another state? What if you become sick and can't care for your pets and the best new home is in another state?

And some of your comments about reptiles couldn't be farther from the truth. As much as you love your suggies, there are those that have lists just for their iguanas and have "ignics" for thier iggies to get together with thier people. There are people who have owned the same turtle or tortoise for 50 years or more! Most iguanas live longer than sugar gliders these days.

The way this bill is worded, it will cause problems for gliders and any other "non-native" animal not on the approved list when/if this bill gets passsed. There are better ways of doing what this bill wants to do (ban importation but not intersate movement, ban sale, whatever), but that's probalby what the special interest groups want us to do - agree to a lesser form of the bill so our rights are slowly eroded.

---- In order to be placed on the "Approved List" it must be established that the species has not, or is not likely, to cause "harm" anywhere in the US. Species that are considered potentially harmful would be placed on an "Unapproved List." Furthermore, HR 669 would essentially ban all species that do not appear on the Approved List, regardless of whether or not they have ever been petitioned for listing or are sufficiently well studied to enable a listing determination. ------

Re: Federal Bill HR 669 bans interstate travel - 04/14/09 04:26 AM

The hearing on 23 Apr 09 is a the Committee hearing. The bill hasn't made it out of committee to the House. It may not make it out of committee the way it is currently written.

The other problem is it does not address USDA licensed facilities. Other bills make exceptions for USDA, but, this one I could not find any verbage excluding USDA licensed facilities.

If passed as written some of the problems I see: enforcement will be difficult and subjective to new regulations which currently are already open to interpretation by law enforcement and regulatory officials; increase the probability that some exotic pet owner out of fear will release exotics in the wild; another fact that they are looking at the political borders of the US and treating the US as one single ecosystem (a sugar glider can exist in south where as harsh winters in the north can kill them). Economic and political view; it will severely impact the pet trade (a multi billion dollar trade) which would be suicide considering the state of the economy.

They need to enforce current federal laws and regulations (which has been tough at best). Then you have state, and local law enforcement. These laws are there and should be enforced. Adding a law to ban exotics due to the carelessness of some exotic pet owners should not result in punishment to animal owners as a whole.

Chad

Chad

Re: Federal Bill HR 669 bans interstate travel - 04/14/09 12:00 PM

Unfortunately, it is now believed that many emails are being filtered if referencing HR669. I suggest faxing and/or snail mailing your letters.
Tom Wolfe, a USARK Lobbyist, (Yes, the reptile industry has someone on the Hill.) is willing to personally deliver any letters he receives to the committee members when the re-convene to review this HR669 nonsense. usark.org has the details on their web site.

For those of you who still aren't sure if this will effect you, check out the story below. This was first thought to be a mistake or oversight on the behalf of the floor - until they refused to amend the bill. Im all for removing potentially dangerous (lead based) items from our kids hands - but regulations that are sweeping and not specific - simply tromp on our rights. If someone would please explain to me how a child could manage to actually lick the brake pads - I may reconsider my opinion that this is obnoxious.
http://www.star-telegram.com/health/story/1293953.html

HR669 is an equally sweeping, equally obnoxious, proposal which is thoroughly backed by animal rights activists and being pushed by their Lobbyists on a federal level.

Here's the kicker - If suggies are found to be a potentially invasive species, for say - the state of Hawaii, they are on the 'no-no' list.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Federal Bill HR 669 bans interstate travel - 04/14/09 10:24 PM

The following was forwarded to me from the President of Cream City Feathered Friends, a bird club in Milwaukee, WI.

TESTIMONY OF
MARSHALL MEYERS
PET INDUSTRY JOINT ADVISORY COUNCIL
BEFORE THE
SUBCOMMITTEE ON FISHERIES, WLDLIFE AND OCEANS
HOUSE NATURAL RESROUCES COMMITTEE
June 26, 2008
Madam Chair and members of the Committee, I am Marshall Meyers, Executive Vice President and General Counsel of the Pet Industry Joint advisory Council (PIJAC). Thank you for inviting me to submit comments on the Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act (HR 6311).
PIJAC is a non-profit service-oriented organization comprised of members who care about pets and the pet industry. As a national trade association, PIJAC represents all segments of the pet industry: companion animal importers/exporters/breeders, wholesale distributors, product manufacturers, retail outlets, and affiliated hobby clubs, aquarium societies, and other industry trade associations. Our members serve the 63% of the U.S. households that care for and maintain pets of all types, sizes and descriptions: the majority of these pets fall within the purview of the regulatory system contemplated in HR 6311.
PIJAC’s explicit mission is to:
“Promote responsible pet ownership and animal welfare,
foster environmental stewardship, and ensure the availability of pets.”
The pet industry, like several other industries, is dependent on the importation of non-native species, most of which are farm raised. Pet owners across the US possess a wide variety of non-native species in significant numbers. This is not a new phenomenon. For generations, people have maintained a wide variety of non-native mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fish as companion animals. Unlike some industries dealing in nonnative species, it is not the intent of the pet industry or the majority of pet owners to place or release these animals into the natural environment.
Background
PIJAC is well aware of the problems posed by invasive species. Our involvement with this issue dates back to the early 1970s when the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) published a proposed list of “Low Risk” wildlife. Like HR 6311, that proposal would have banned all wildlife not otherwise appearing on the clean list as being “injurious” (invasive) under the Lacey Act. We challenged that approach because (1) it failed to provide science-based support for how it classified “low” versus “high” risk species, and (2) it was premised upon broad-based conclusions that all nonnative species were per se
injurious until proven innocent. We successfully challenged the proposed regulatory action by making government officials and stakeholders aware of the fact that it placed an untenable burden on the trade to “scientifically prove” a negative – i.e. the absence of harm.
For many years, PIJAC has been providing leadership on invasive species issues, serving as an advisor to and collaborator with numerous government agencies. The PIJAC staff serves on various Aquatic Naissance Species Task Force (ANSTF) committees and regional panels, the Invasive Species Advisory Committee (ISAC) and a number of State invasive species advisory committees or working groups. Additionally, PIJAC leads several initiatives and proactive campaigns designed to minimize the introduction and impact of invasive species. These campaigns reflect a strong collaborative effort between industry, the government, and other stakeholders.
PIJAC believes that effective measures should be in place to reduce the risk of the adverse impacts of invasive species. We further believe that the appropriate directives for risk management are contained in the Lacey Act, the National Invasive Species Management Plan (per Executive Order 13112), and several ANSTF initiatives, among others. As we have testified previously, the requisite human and financial resources have yet to be made available to the relevant federal agencies so that they can fully and effectively implement and enforce existing policies and programs. Until the government is willing to invest in implementation and enforcement of the regulatory measures it has already enacted, additional regulations will serve only to cripple an already faltering system.
With regard to HR 6311, first and foremost I note that it reckons back to a failed, technically flawed approach of the early 1970s. As previously mentioned, it imposes on persons interested in importing or possessing a species for commercial or non-commercial purposes the task of having to scientifically prove a negative – that the species will not cause harm or be likely to cause economic or environmental harm or harm to human and animal species’ health. Simply on the grounds of “Statistics 101” this is unworkable. Absent a crystal ball, it is impossible to prove conclusively that no harm has ever nor will ever occur at any time, anywhere in the United States.
Thousands of non-native species have been in the pet trade for decades, yet the overwhelming majority of them have never established feral populations and even fewer have been demonstrated to have caused harm to the environment, economy, or human health. In rare instances where former pets have become invasive, the impacts have generally been to localized areas in urban and suburban contexts which are already heavily impacted by habitat loss and degradation.
It is, thus, both unnecessary and unrealistic to conduct a risk assessment for every non-native species in the pet trade (e.g., more than 1600 freshwater fish), let alone those brought in by other industries as well.
While we recognize that the Lacey Act process is inefficient in many ways, it is clear to us that this is largely due to the lack of capacity both in terms of staffing and funding. Because HR 6311 mandates a far more comprehensive process than currently exists under the Lacey Act, it is set up for failure. If enacted as drafted, HR 6311 would force the Fish and Wildlife Service into a managerial nightmare. It would have to:
conduct risk assessments on more than 10,000 species currently in trade, many of which are not even scientifically identified to the species level let alone extensively studied, and complete those assessments in time to meet the statutory deadlines set forth in Sections 3 and 4; or, upon failure to do so,
shut down a number of industries dependent upon nonnative species -- such as the pet industry, food aquaculture, and sports fishing.
Even if there was ample scientific information available to enable the risk assessment process, it is clear that the USFWS would not be physically able to complete a sufficient number of species assessments given its extremely limited staff and financial resources. It is also readily apparent that industries cannot exist on a handful of imported species for the short or long-term.
HR 6311 is an overly simplistic approach to a very complex problem which involves much more than running a series of risk assessments in order to publish a list of approved species. The socio-economic, as well as biological, issues impact hundreds of millions of Americans and a more reasoned approach is needed to address the invasive species conundrum.
I, therefore, urge the Committee to take into careful consideration the findings and recommendations of the National Invasive Species Management Plan, as well as initiatives of the Aquatic Nuisance Species Task Force and numerous state agencies that are dealing with this issue. Initiatives under these programs already reflect stakeholder-inclusive reviews on and recommendations to address the import of live organisms in the invasive species context.
For well over a decade, government and industry have been working collaboratively to enhance prevention, improve early detection and rapid response, develop screening mechanisms applicable to different animal types, identify pathways and pathway related problems, and increase public awareness on the importance of not introducing nonnative species into the environment. A major component of that process is recognizing that screening or risk analysis must be carefully constructed to ensure that the analysis is science-based, credible, transparent, involves stakeholders, and evaluates and promotes viable management policies. In our opinion, HR 6311 has the potential to jeopardize and set back achievements of the past several years.
For example, the 2001 National Invasive Species Management Plan (Plan), was developed through a transparent, science-based, stakeholder-inclusive process. It was intended to provide a constructive way forward for Federal agencies and partners to minimize the impact of invasive species in a manner that was timely, practical, and cost-
effective. Plan developers concluded that a phased-in screening approach was the most effective way to reduce the risk of import of potentially invasive species. In the first phase of the process, relevant Federal agencies would work with stakeholders to screen species proposed for first-time imports into the US. Three years later, the second phase would broaden the approach for the systematic screening of species already in trade. PIJAC encourages members of Congress to review the Plan, and meet with NISC Policy Liaisons and original members of the Invasive Species Advisory Committee (ISAC) in order to garner a better understanding of the process already agreed to by Federal agencies and stakeholders, as well as the underlying basis for the decisions made – such as the lack of scientific data, staff capacity, and economic implications.
If Congress decides to ignore the Plan, then we urge that HR 6311 be redrafted to direct a risk analysis process rather than a risk assessment. According to the definitions adopted under the Convention on Biological Diversity (and supported by the US), "risk analysis refers to: (1) the assessment of the consequences of the introduction and of the likelihood of establishment of an alien species using science-based information (i.e., risk assessment), and (2) the identification of measures that can be implemented to reduce or manage these risks (i.e., risk management), taking into account socio-economic and cultural considerations.”
As evidenced at several recent meetings dealing with screening processes and other analytical approaches, it has become abundantly clear that such a process is complex and that there is not agreement within the scientific community or other interested parties on how to deal with this complex problem. Screening is one part of the process; risk management and evaluating socio-economic issues and other benefits is equally important and challenging. We do not believe that this can simply be resolved via legislation mandating criteria that needs to be subject to scientific and legal scrutiny. That should be left to the regulators.
Unless socio-economic and cultural considerations are adequately accounted for in this process, numerous domesticated animals (e.g., domestic cats and livestock) are likely to qualify for the “black list” as there is considerable scientific data to indicate that these nonnative wildlife species (as currently defined by HR 6311) have caused substantial economic harm when they become feral. Furthermore, there are already management measures in place for some species that would reduce the risk of invasiveness. For example, ferrets that are spayed/neutered cannot establish viable populations. Finally, in the current economic environment, Congress must carefully consider both the financial costs and benefits of imported species. The loss of certain high-income fish, for example, could result in the collapse of the entire ornamental fish industry and have significant repercussions for product manufacturers, distributors, and retailers throughout the country.
Understanding the broad biological and socio-economic implications of developing lists of approved and unapproved wildlife species, countries such as Australia and New Zealand explicitly employ risk analyses. Reference materials for their programs are readily available on the Web.
The following comments address key sections of HR 6311.
Risk Assessment Process (Section 3)
PIJAC questions the advisability of the Congress mandating specific criteria that the Secretary must factor into the Department’s assessment protocols. As evidenced by the work of the Invasive Species Advisory Committee and the ANSTF. The Department’s scientists need flexibility to design analysis protocols depending on the taxa, the purpose of introduction, and other relevant factors. A “one-size-fits-all” set of factors will not enable an effective result.
For example, it is not technically feasible to identify some species in trade – including some very high volume and income species – to the “species level” (Section 3(b)(1)). Many armored catfish, a staple of the aquaria trade, are only identified with “L” numbers; they have not been scientifically described. Nor is it clear how the prescribed process would deal with taxonomic name changes in cases in which molecular studies indicate that the classifications should either be “split” or “grouped.” If the scientific classification changes, would the risk analysis have to be repeated for the affected species? Furthermore, how would agency staff address the fact that some countries (particularly developing, exporting countries) are using different taxonomic names (often “old” versus “new”) than others?
Section 3(b)(2) requires information on the “geographic source of the species and the conditions under which it was captured or bred.” Is this section designed to identify the evolutionary origin of the species, the geographic location of its initial export, or the last country of export before entering the United States? What is the relevance of analyzing the “conditions under which it [the species] was captured?” Is this introducing an animal welfare element into the risk analysis process?
Section 3(b)(3) incorporates terms such as “established,” “harm” and “spread” without the benefit of definitions. Is the USFWS free to adopt its own definitions? Does “established” mean a self-sustaining reproducing population? Is an analysis as to benefit versus harm part of the evaluation?
Sections 3(b)(4) through (10) incorporate the subjective, non-scientific standard of “likelihood” for determining the probability that a species will become established, spread, do harm, or be accompanied by a “pathogenic species, parasite species, or free living species…” Does “likelihood” connote some level of probability – a specific statistical term – or is it merely a subjective conclusion that something might establish, spread, cause harm or be accompanied with parasites? The mere presence of parasites or other associated organisms is not necessarily problematic. Furthermore, an extremist could argue that any species has some probability of establishing somewhere in the U.S. given the right ecological conditions and propagule pressure. If that probability in scientific risk-based terms presents a negligible risk, how is it assessed under the “likelihood” doctrine? What methods would be used to determine or score “likelihood?”
Section 3 sets forth specific factors that must be taken into account in the USFWS’s evaluation of risk but offers no direction as to the manner in which such factors must be evaluated. A reasonable inference, however, is that a positive finding of one or more of those factors is sufficient to prohibit import. Far greater statutory clarity is required. Is the USFWS compelled to list a species as prohibited in any case in which some combination of these factors are determined in the affirmative? Is the mere absence of biological data, because it does not exist, sufficient to compel the USFWS to ban a species that has been imported in the millions or farmed in this country for 30 to 50 years absent evidence of invasiveness?
Based on such a standard, common goldfish, many tropical fish, and myriad common species of birds and reptiles would be banned from the entire United States if it could be demonstrated that under Section 3(b)(4) there is a likelihood that “environmental conditions suitable for the establishment or spread…exist anywhere in the United States.” Marine organisms would be banned in Kansas because they might become established in Hawaiian waters; a parakeet would be banned in Minnesota because it could survive in south Florida. Absent inclusion of some qualifying language, the factors become mandates and mandates become prohibitions even though a likely adverse impact is never shown.
Transparency (Section 3(d))
Transparency is critical to the credibility of the process being mandated by this bill. Stakeholder involvement at all stages of the process is essential to attain the level of transparency recommended by the National Academy of Sciences’ National Research Council. PIJAC urges that language be inserted making it abundantly clear that there is stakeholder involvement at all stages of the process. Furthermore, language should direct that the persons making the management decisions are not the same people conducting the risk assessment(s).
List of Approved Species (Section 4)
The concept of assessing first-time introductions surfaced during the ANSTF “Intentional Introductions Policy Review” in the mid-1990s. In a report to Congress in 1994, the ANSTF focused on two main concerns:
“the need to make ecologically credible decisions; and
the need to strike a balance between greater risk reduction and accommodating current activities and economies that depend on the use of nonindigenous species.”
The ANSTF went on to conclude that:
“to the maximum extent possible, the decisions should be based on ecosystem considerations; and
the recommendations should generally apply only to new introductions.” (emphasis added)
The ANSTF further recommended establishing a Federal permit system for first-time imports coupled with a credible, science-based review process, and called for improvements in implementing the Lacey Act to include, inter alia, expediting the injurious species listing process, fostering compliance through clearer listings, and initiating a review system for species not listed. The ANSTF also made a series of proactive recommendations, including adoption of good business practices through codes of conduct promoting “continued commercial operations in a manner that is compatible with the conservation of natural ecosystems” such as education and public outreach programs targeting invasive species issues.
The National Invasive Species Plan incorporated that concept following lengthy deliberations among the Invasive Species Advisory Committee (ISAC) and National Invasive Species Council (NISC). The Plan, at page 32, specifically calls for
“…the development of a risk-based screening process for intentionally introduced species in a series of steps or phases. During the first phase a screening system for first-time intentional introductions will be developed…The screening system will then be modified…during the second phase to deal with species already in the U.S.”
Several iterations of bills amending the National Aquatic Invasive Species Act (NAISA) incorporated the establishment of a “catalog” of organisms in trade. That was to be accomplished as a collaborative effort involving the Fish and Wildlife Service and concerned stakeholders. The language which subsequently appeared in at least five bills in the House and the Senate was agreed to by a diverse group of stakeholders including various nongovernmental environmental organizations. Any species not appearing on that list would be subject to a screening process as a first-time introduction. The screening process would evaluate the “probability of undesirable impacts.”
That legislation did not exempt species appearing in the catalog from risk assessment and possible listing under the Lacey Act. Rather, the catalog was to ensure that species that have been in trade with no apparent ill effects would not suddenly be prohibited absent a science-based risk analysis. This was recognized as the only reasonable and feasible method of addressing thousands of species that have long been imported into the United States and for which no adverse consequences have been identified. Moreover, a number of species in trade have been captive raised within the United States for decades with no demonstrated detrimental impacts.
Section 4(c) provides a mechanism to add nonnative wildlife species to the approved list and requires the Secretary to make a determination “in a reasonable period of time” in accordance with the Section 3(b) factors. PIJAC urges the insertion of a specified time frame within which the USFWS shall make such determinations, similar to time limits imposed under other laws. If history is prologue, there is a high likelihood that few new additions will be made to the list absent a statutorily imposed deadline, and perhaps not even then.
When a list is published will there be any grace period for an importer or person possessing listed species already in the United States to revamp their operation(s) and ethically dispose of animals in their possession or do they become violators of this Act, as well as the Lacey Act, overnight? The perception, alone, that this would be the case is likely to motivate frightened individuals to abandon animals. In short, it could facilitate the introduction and establishment of numerous non-native species.
Deadlines (Sections 3(e) and Section 4(a)(1)).
The prescribed timeframes to implement HR 6311 are unrealistic. According to Section 3(e)(1), the proposed regulations and an initial list of approved species must be published within two years of enactment of HB 6311. The final regulations, the initial list of approved species and a notice of the list of prohibited species must be published, pursuant to Section 3(e)(2), no later than 30 days before the date on which the Secretary begins assessing the species . The assessment process must start within 37 months of HR 6311’s enactment (Section 3(e)(3). Yet Section 4(a)(1) mandates that the list of approved species be finalized and published no later than 36 months following enactment. How is this possible?
History has demonstrated that agencies are often unable to comply with such mandated timeframes. Will the USFWS be provided adequate appropriations to fund this initiative? How will the USFWS be able to develop regulations, publish them in the Federal Register seeking public comment, review and finalize the regulations, seek and obtain OMB clearance and publish final rules and lists within such brief timeframes? To date, the USFWS has required an average of four years to accomplish such a process for a single species proposed for injurious wildlife listing.
The NISC and ANSTF approaches referenced earlier alleviate the USFWS’ need to expend significant effort assessing species documented as being in trade and allowed it to concentrate on first time introductions as well as go back and selectively review and assess any of the species in the catalog. The USFWS was not subjected to a series of artificial time frames it could not meet. We recommend a return to the previously agreed upon Catalog approach as a more workable mechanism – a mechanism that is science-based, measurable, transparent and implementable.
List of Unapproved Species (Section 5)
Section 5 calls for the Secretary to publish a list of nonnative wildlife species prohibited or restricted from entering the United States. The list would incorporate those species listed under the Lacey Act as well as any other species added pursuant to this Act. Is this intended to be an amendment to the Lacey Act?
Since violations of the proposed Act would also constitute a violation of the criminal provisions of the Lacey Act, full and complete lists of what is legal and illegal should be published by the USFWS to ensure adequate notice of what constitutes a violation of law.
Due process calls for no less. To ensure proper notice and avoid confusion, the approved and unapproved lists should contain every species in the animal kingdom to ensure that the public is aware of what is illegal as well as legal inasmuch as they are subject to a strict liability criminal statute.
Prohibitions and Penalties (Section 3(f) and Section 6(3), (5) and (6)).
Interestingly, a person already engaged in the captive propagation or farming of a species in the United States that does make the “approved list” finds him or herself in the rather awkward position of being subject to conflicting provisions of the law. According to Section 3(f), the “Act shall not interfere with the ability of such people to possess an individual animals of a species that was imported legally.” Yet a close reading of the prohibitions in Section 6 raises significant issues which will undoubtedly compel millions of frightened people to kill or abandon their pets. Once a species appears on the “unapproved list,” the imaginary grandfather clause of Section 3 apparently evaporates because it would be illegal to breed, possess, sell, barter any nonnative species appearing on the Section 4 prohibited list!
The prohibition section will significantly impact not only the pet industry, but also food aquaculture, sport fisheries, the bait industry, and the livestock industry. These sections need to be revisited.
Fees (Section 8)
The establishment of a fee-based risk assessment system is fraught with problems. Apart from trying to ascertain how the amount of the fee(s) will be determined, this system will result in rank discrimination whereby small business will no longer be able to compete. It places the entire financial burden on larger companies willing to assume the financial risk of going through a nondescript assessment and listing process. This becomes a significant burden if the importer imports hundreds or thousands of species for which there is sketchy biological or scientific data, yet the species has been in trade in extremely large numbers for many, many years absent adverse impacts.
Unlike other areas of the economy where fees are assessed to seek government approval of a patented or proprietary drug or chemical product, importers of nonnative species would be funding an assessment not only for themselves but for all of their competitors, and even other industries that trade in the same species for other purposes. How will the USFWS determine which importer is selected to bare the costs? Risk assessments and risk analyses are expensive undertakings. Will the fees be $10,000, $25,000, $50,000 or $100,000 or more per assessment per organism? How will the figures be determined and consistently applied?
Definitions (Section 11)
Failure to provide a clear definition of “wildlife” further adds confusion to HR 6311. As crafted, “nonnative wildlife species” includes “any species that is not a native species.”
The definition goes on to specifically cover the entire animal kingdom including insects, mollusks, crustaceans, arthropods, coelenterates, and all other invertebrates.
By this definition, many species of animals that are longstanding staples of the pet industry, food aquaculture, sports fishing, and livestock would have to go through the process to ascertain if they pose the “likelihood” of harming the environment or other factors set forth in HR 6311. These would include cattle, cats, dogs and numerous animals considered “domesticated.” A clear definition of “wildlife” is essential.
Conclusion
On behalf of the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC), thank you for providing us an opportunity to share our thoughts and concerns regarding HR 6311. Despite our reservations about HR 6311, we remain committed to working with your Subcommittee to address this important environmental issue.
We believe that we have raised a number of valid issues regarding HR 6311 and its potential for shutting down several industries dependent on nonnative species. Additionally, it could end up encouraging rather than preventing the release of nonnative animals.
We respectfully suggest that the bill as currently crafted sets the USFWS up for failure. Its whole approach is one that defies practical implementation, and demands exorbitant resources. In short, it would not visit upon the public the beneficial results to which it aspires. The measure demands the nearly impossible task of conducting thousands of scientifically valid risk assessments in a short time-frame, and presumes that all species subject to these assessments shall be prohibited pending a contrary finding, even though no evidence of adverse impact exists. Unlike a risk analysis, it does not explicitly account for socio-economic and cultural considerations. The bill assigns such an impossible task to an agency woefully bereft of resources for the job, and holds hostage several vital sectors of a challenged economy.
We believe that there is a better way to achieve a superior result. To that end, we recommend that a working group comprised of various stakeholders be convened to offer recommendations on the most effective method for moving the screening process forward, as called for in the National Invasive Species Plan. A number of key industries need to be at the table. This is not simply a pet industry issue. A number of pathways have proven to be far more significant vectors of nonnative species than pets.
We look forward to working with your Subcommittee in crafting more realistic legislation that will serve the public and affected industry alike in concert with the National Invasive Species Management Plan and the Executive Orders calling for such a plan.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/15/09 03:06 AM

Here's a sample letter, and more information below it.

The hearing is on the 23rd - you want your letter or fax to get there before that! Heck, if you can, fax tomorrow and then mail the letter to make sure someone in the representative's office gets it to the representative (everyone on the committee is a representative, as in House of).

Remember to address envelopes and letters to “The Honorable Henry Brown” for example, and start the the letters to Dear Representative or Dear Senator, except for the chairman of a committee (Dear Mr. Chairmen, or Dear Madam Chairwoman,)

For more information on writing a congressman, visit
http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa020199.htm

-------------------------------

Full Name
Full Address
Telephone Number

April 14, 2009

The Honorable Madeleine Bordallo
427 Cannon House Office Building
United States House of Representatives
Washington, D.C. 20515-5301
Phone: (202) 225-1188
Fax: (202) 226-0341

Dear Madam Chairwoman,

Please drop H.R. 669. As a biologist, animal welfare advocate, and United States citizen, I oppose this bill. It would create the very thing it’s setting out to prevent, the negative impact to the economy. It is too far reaching, will cost too much money to implement, and will have disastrous consequences for the economy, as well as curtail the rights of citizens. Virtually every pet other than dogs and cats will be affected by this bill, and through them, the people that care for them and supply the goods to care for them. Hundreds if not thousands of small businesses will close as a result, and the government will lose billions in taxable revenue and goods and services. The owners of “non-native” animals don’t just shop at pet stores. They shop at grocery stores, farm supply stores, home improvement stores, craft stores, and specialty food stores to care for their animals. Owners of “exotic” pets such as tortoises, ferrets, snakes, iguanas, and even lowly fish, might spend several hundred if not a thousand dollars or more each year to care for their animals. Those businesses that supply the lumber, the feed, the electrical systems, and specialty accessories for “exotic” pets will be hard pressed to make up for the lost revenue.

States currently have the ability to limit which animals may be sold, possessed, or transported into the state. Why does the federal government need to extend its influence, and thus spending of tax payer money, for a problem that can be controlled at the state level? H.R. 669 is essentially trying to kill a fly with a wrecking ball instead of a fly swatter, and will likely cause as much damage. The vast majority of non-native species in the pet trade have been in the United States in large numbers for decades, and have not proven to be an environmental problem. Only a small number of species kept as pets have caused environmental concerns, and these on a very limited and localized basis.

The current bill does not take into consideration what will happen to an animal if the owner must relocate to a new state, or if ownership needs to transfer to another person for whatever reason. What if the most qualified veterinarian is in another state? Some of the animals affected by this bill could live 50 years, 100 years, or even longer. Will you punish all people that care for these animals by keeping this overly reaching bill? Do you think owners will surrender their pets for euthanasia if the animal becomes illegal?

I oppose H.R. 669. It’s unnecessary at the federal level, is over-reaching, could lead to an economic downfall, and takes away the right to the pursuit of happiness for US citizens.

Sincerely,

Full Name

-----------------------

This bill is currently in a subcommittee. If it's not killed there, it will go to the House and Senate for votes. So, for now, focus on the subcommittee, Insular Affairs, Oceans and Wildlife led by Del. Madeleine Z. Bordallo

Focus first on direct contact with subcommittee members. That means written letters followed up by phone calls. They are telling us that email and fax are the least effective way to contact members... they get lost and deleted. We need to call and write.

The names and phone numbers, fax numbers, and addresses of some of the members is below.

Write a letter to each member of the subcommittee. That means one hard-typed (printed) letter in one envelope for each member, or one printed letter with the member's address on it faxed to that member. If time/resources are short, focus on those closest to your state, and to the subcommittee chairman.

Call each member of the subcommittee- you will be speaking with staff. Let them know you Oppose HR669. Be civil, but tell them how this will effect you and your family.

Check where members are from. If any of the members are your district representatives, or are from your state, make sure they know you are their constituent.

After that, contact your state congressmen, both senators and representatives, and let them know that you oppose HR 669, just in case it gets out of the subcommittee for a vote. Again, a printed letter, either faxed or mailed, works better than an e-mail. Follow up with a phone call if possible.

My key points will be that this is an over-extending bill that will have the exact oposite effect of its intended purpose: It will result in hundreds of small businesses closing, and will result in billions of lost tax dollars in sales and income tax. It will cost too in tax dollars to enfource while resulting in lost revenue. "Non-native" pet owners spend billions each year not just at pet stores, but also at grocery stores and home improvement stores to care for thier animals. This bill will result in thousands of lost jobs. States already have the ability to control which animals enter the state or are sold in the state – this doesn’t have to be a federal matter.

Then you can go on about the risk of pet owners releasing thier animals rather then relinquishing them if thier animal become illegal. What happens when an owner has to move to another state? What if an owner of a long-lived species passes away?

http://resourcescommittee.house.gov/index.php

Members of the Subcommittee on Insular Affairs, Oceans and Wildlife
1337 Longworth House Office Building (Insular Affairs)
(202) 225-0691 Fax: (202) 225-0521

187 Ford House Office Building (Oceans and Wildlife)
(202) 226-0200 Fax: (202) 225-1542

Mrs. Madeleine Z. Bordallo, Guam, Chairwoman
427 Cannon HOB
(202) 225-1188, fax (202) 226-0341

Mr. Henry E. Brown, Jr., South Carolina
Ranking Republican Member
103 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-3176 Fax: (202) 225-3407

Dale E. Kildee, Michigan
2107 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515
202-225-3611
202-225-6393 fax

Eni F.H. Faleomavaega, American Samoa
Neil Abercrombie, Hawaii

Frank Pallone, Jr., New Jersey
237 Cannon Building
Washington, D.C. 20515-3006
Phone: (202) 225-4671
Fax: (202) 225-9665

Gregorio "Kilili" Sablan, Mariana Islands
Donna M. Christensen, Virgin Islands
Diana DeGette, Colorado
Ron Kind, Wisconsin
Lois Capps, California
Carol Shea-Porter, New Hampshire

Frank Kratovil, Jr., Maryland
314 Cannon House Office Building
Washington D.C. 20510
phone: 202-225-5311
fax: 202-225-0254

Pedro R. Pierluisi, Puerto Rico
Nick J. Rahall, II, West Virginia (ex officio)
Don Young, Alaska
Jeff Flake, Arizona
Doug Lamborn, Colorado

Robert J. Wittman, Virginia
1318 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC 20515
ph: 202-225-4261
fax: 202-225-4382

John Fleming, Louisiana
1023 Longworth HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515
Phone: (202) 225-2777
Fax: (202) 225-8039

Jason Chaffetz, Utah
1032 Longworth HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515
Phone: (202) 225-7751
Fax: (202) 225-5629

Bill Cassidy, Louisiana
Doc Hastings, Washington

Re: Federal Bill HR 669 bans interstate travel - 04/17/09 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By: arie
I believe what it actually states is that each non-native species will be examined and if enough evidence is provided that the species is a danger, then they will be removed from the breeding and importing world. Now sugar gliders...they don't really have any "dangerous " qualities. If they were to get loose, they would most likely die. They wouldn't pose a threat to other wildlife (like the poster above me mentioned about that specific kind of rat)
The policy also states that if enough information can not be found on the animal, they will still be allowed to be bred and imported. I don't know, I could be wrong but I just don't see this law as a threat to the animals I have, because I know that they would have little chance of ever posing a threat..and this is what the basis of the law lays on.

O.k, fair enough. But what about the people with various pythons or boas, or any other non native snake, for that matter? What about the fans of marine and tropical fish, or guinea pigs, turtles? The list goes on and on! Shouldn't they have the right to keep their exotic animals they love, just as much as you and your suggies?

Re: Federal Bill HR 669 bans interstate travel - 04/17/09 03:52 AM

As was said earlier. Animals may find themselves on the unapproved list if they are able to survive and pose an ecological threat anywhere in the US (CA, FL, HI all included). ANY non-native species could pose a threat to the natural wildlife populations. So no matter the animal, this is a concern for all of us, to assume that some animals will get a pass because we think/hope they will is not going to help.

No, this will not affect the current ownership (unless you move out of state, potentially) but the people behind this (namely organizations like PETA and HSUS) would like nothing better than for none of us to own these animals and this would set the future for such a situation.

IF THIS PASSES, even though there are logistical problems with the bill, the structure will be set up...it is difficult to 'unmake' a bill...so when they figure everything out, it WILL mean that these animals are not legal to own in several years (the end of the current generational life cycle).

It also brings to question, if someone owns an animal and has to rehome it, what will happen to it, since sale and crossing state lines may be in jeopardy?

Please don't dismiss this bill. If it passes it will eventually affect ALL of us.

Re: Federal Bill HR 669 bans interstate travel - 04/17/09 04:11 AM

Sorry, I suppose I came across in the wrong way. I own several other animals that would be considered nonnative...and probably would be considered to pose a threat. I was simply speaking about how the bill affects sugar gliders..and do agree that it would eventually affect us all. I would hate to think that this could be passed, but I believe that (and sure hope that) it will only end up outlawing animals that truly are in situations that they shouldn't be which do cause them to pose a threat. It's scary that the line is so thin...after-all any animal has the potential to be dangerous in some way or another. If anything the law should simply put stricter surveillance on non-native species trade and ownership...not ban those of us with the species if we house them safely and responsibly. Everywhere I go I see people showing protest for the law, there are a LOT of people just like all of you who are fighting it..so I believe we really do have a chance.

Re: Federal Bill HR 669 bans interstate travel - 04/17/09 04:20 AM

Originally Posted By: arie
I believe that (and sure hope that) it will only end up outlawing animals that truly are in situations that they shouldn't be which do cause them to pose a threat.

The way the bill stands right now, this is not what will happen. frown The concern is that so many people assume that is the way it will be carried out, but that is not realistic, as that is not how the bill was written. We just don't want people to take it lightly and stop worrying about the possibility something like this could happen.

Re: Federal Bill HR 669 bans interstate travel - 04/17/09 04:58 AM

6 more days frown
Posted By: myangelbear77

Re: Federal Bill HR 669 bans interstate travel - 04/18/09 10:41 PM

Read Sec 7 & 8 of the bill from http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-669
Out of everything I get the understanding that if you take the time and pay the fees you can still get and have nonnative species. Heck I have to have a permit for a species native to my state...
My father will say it is another way for them to get the almighty dollar from us yet again.
Seriously if this passes we will be wasting tax dollars yet again. It feels like another step to control the general population when a small percentage needs it. I understand banning certain species especially in certain environments where they can survive and affect the Eco system but get real people my parrot doesn't even know how to fly let alone survive.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/19/09 12:11 AM

Ok so my question is... are my babies in danger?

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/19/09 12:24 AM

My understanding of this bill is that if sugar gliders get added to the list of "unacceptable" (for lack of a better word) then you won't be able to sell them or even if you find you can't continue to care for them for whatever reason - you won't be allowed to give them up, not even to family members outside of your own home. They would have to be destroyed. Not sure about the breeding aspect.
Also, you won't be allowed to transport them over state lines. So if you enjoy going to glider get togethers as so many of us do, you won't be allowed to take your babies with you.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/19/09 12:30 AM

grrrr I like this bill to a certain point... but they have to understand, these are not just pets...they are family to some. These are my kids...

I hate that we as humans see ourselves as superior when we are just animals ourselves, and when we get scared of these so called "animals" taking over the human land we attack back even though we took so much from the wild...
Posted By: gr8pots

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/19/09 02:47 AM

I agree. My gliders are part of our family. I wrote to my representative and asked him to vote no on this bill as it is presently written. Some exotics shouldn't be banned.
Posted By: Kage

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/20/09 04:06 AM

This worries me a lot but they need to realize dogs attack people too, not just pet snakes (or other exotic pets). Animals attacking people is caused my human error. Or some people being igorant letting go their snake...why would you want to let go a huge snake when you know it will hurt other people let alone some elses pets? Doesn't make sense. People provoke them to attack when they don't want to be messed with even whenpeople don't mean to (or they are just being really mean to the animal). People get stomped, mauled, even thrown off a horses back trying to break it, for it can be rideable. People have to know the animals behavoir to avoid getting bitten or worse. A ton of people have exotic pets. It's not the animals fault! People like to invade their(the animal's) personal space so they attack or warn you.

Reading this really confused me because of the way it was written. Yeah I also see a problem with enforcing this law, if it is passed. Are they going make sure everyone has a permit even though they are legal in some states already? Or make sure people aren't buying sugar gliders or other exotic pet across the borders when you are forced or you have to move to another state?

This really worried me though. Most pets arent just pets they are part of the family...

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/20/09 12:39 PM

WOW i love my suggies. i couldn't think of them not being with me. they keep doing this. i hear of a new law trying to be passed about every 6 months or so. in north carolina we already have an inheriantly dangerous animal laws. they have gone as far as the encloser sizes and how many you can have. the state has given enforcement to the cities and counties. if you own native wildlife you are to have a permit. i had 6 cornsnakes and because their native here i had to have a ppermit even though they were captive bred. these new laws are just getting more insane. do they not understand that we need the comfort of our babies to survive.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/20/09 01:44 PM

Oh geez... next they'll find a way to tax us to death on our pets. When have you heard in the headlines, "Gliders Attack." Their not like a pit, rottie, snakes or any animal that can pose a threat or harm if provoked. I'm not against those types of animals, my Mom has a rottie so does my uncle. But if treated & cared for improperly they can be dangerous, you hear of dog fights all the time & it's cruel to them. When have you heard of suggie fights. I blame the breeder mills for this. It's people like them that are making it hard for us good & decent people that want these types of animals to love & care for hard for us. What ever happened to America? Friends of mine in VA have 2 tigers & a black panther it took them several years for the permits & paid a high price to be able to have them. Seriously, what harm can a suggie actually do? Ugh this just makes me so mad.
Posted By: gliderma

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/20/09 02:07 PM

I have a rottweiler and have had dobermans, pits, chows, shepherds & great danes! I prefer the big working breeds personally and have always had little children around them, either my own or my grandkids. All animals are a product of their environment and can be made to be mean if not properly cared for. They need to crack down on the people that are abusing animals (PPP comes to mind) and not the rest of us that are responsible pet owners.
When have you heard of suggie fights.

Please don't give anybody ideas! You know someone would do this if they thought they could make some $$$ and get away with it! lol shakehead

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/20/09 02:17 PM

If this law did pass it would be USELESS. The only effect it would have is on people like us who ARE responsible pet owners. They can't enforce the laws on the books now. USDA would be in charge of most of the regulations and around here we have one rep that covers NC, SC and GA now and she only handles the few people who ARE usda licensed. Imagine the chaos if she had to enforce these laws too?!?!?! The only thing it does is punish us for owning pets really.

Every single organization that would be in charge of regulating and policing this....the dept. of natural resources, animal control, law enforcement and USDA are already understaffed, under budgeted etc.....

It'll be a nightmare.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/20/09 02:17 PM

I agree if they could fight them to turn a buck, they would. I'm a lover of all sorts of animals. Ok, I don't care for snakes, spiders, lizards well you get my point. Their not pets I would have, they scare me to death.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/21/09 01:35 AM

While I can understand why people might be upset over this, I really don't see this as a major problem. As was stated by more than one person above - Read the ENTIRE bill first!

Yes, there is a very short list of animals on the "approved" list. BUT there is also another very important part:

(1) IN GENERAL- The Secretary shall include in the preliminary list under this section nonnative wildlife species that the Secretary finds, consistent with the factors described in section 3(b) and based on scientific and commercial information that is provided in a proposal under paragraph (2) or otherwise available to the Secretary--

(A) are not harmful to the United States’ economy, the environment, or other animal species’ or human health; or

(B) may be harmful to the United States’ economy, the environment, or other animal species’ or human health, but already are so widespread in the United States that it is clear to the Secretary that any import prohibitions or restrictions would have no practical utility for the United States.

Please note - "the Secretary may add animals to the list that are considered NOT HARMFUL", or "that are so widespread that any import prohibitions or restrictions would have no practical utility". Which means things like guppies (which are not on the original list), hamsters (also not on the list), guinea pigs, budgies, canaries, turtles, snakes, lizards, etc. can be included on the "approved" list.

This bill is intended to prohibit the importation of things like the snakehead fish that has now invaded the Eastern US. And there are animals out there that need to be prohibited! Off the top of my head I can think of one species of African honeybee that can under no circumstances be allowed into the US. It is not aggressive like it's cousins. It lives to invade and kill other hives. It sneaks into them, kills off the queen, reproduces in them, and eventually kills off all the remaining worker bees. The invader bees then disperse to take over new hives. It is fortunately located in only one small area in Africa, but the consequences if let loose elsewhere could be devastating! (And before you think that "someone wouldn't do that", snakehead fish got in, didn't they?)

I honestly have my doubts as to whether a bill like this could get passed being worded as it is, but if it does pass, it seems to me the thing to do is to make sure that sugar gliders (and a whole lot of other common household pets) are included on the approved list. Seeing as how gliders are legal (and in many cases no longer even considered an exotic pet) in many states, I would think it would be pretty easy to get them on the list. (Just a side note here. I would think if the bill passed and sugar gliders were put on the approved list, that would give those states that currently list gliders as illegal a pause!)

That doesn't mean this bill doesn't bear watching. But I think there is a lot of fear over this that isn't justified. If you think I'm wrong, that's fine. But please, read the WHOLE bill first!

Joni

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/21/09 06:01 PM

correct me if i am wrong please. Im new here i am getting a suggie on the 26th. But that would mean horses would have to be banned because they are not indiginus to the U.S. certain breeds of cats and Dogs will have to go. Mixed breeds of certain cats and dogs will have to go. Many types of birds will have to go certain types of salt water and fresh water fish will have to go. Man i would hate to think about some of the homes of say previous presidents congressman and senat reps will have to say when say for some reson they have to move or what not. They would have to be held accountable and put there family pets to sleep or they will have to get rid of horses on there ranch or what ever it is absolutally rediculis. I think its wrong. And somehow I got a funny feeling they would be able to find some crazy loop hole. But it is very sad. Lets see Lamas will have to go camels will have to go. Its very sad to think about all the species of animals that would have to be left behind because a person is moving or what ever else. They will cause more harm then good all because someone does something that well didn't power the light buld. Perhaps they should limit the amount of exatics in the house like they try to do with cats and dogs and such not ban them. Or allow only a certain amount for breeding purpises and if you have an exatic they have to be registered. i think this makes more since. I mean look at some of the stipulations that breeders have when it come to there sugar gliders. There rules make alot more since. Perhaps the congressmen should actaully talk to very reputable breeders of exatic type animals and come up with some resonable stipulations rather than a mass ban. Like some of them say if for what ever reson you are no longer able to take care of you pet they will take them back or help you find a home for them. Perhaps this should be an alternitive to prevent people from putting them into the wild. And for making extra percaustions to prevent some sort of exscape attempt. I believe these make more sence. But what do i know? Sorry my spelling and grammer is horrible so please forgive me. One last thing can anyone truly name all the animals that were not origionally from the US before the settalers showed up and took over. A very large portion of animals that are for live stalk purpises or working purpises are on that list. I dare the Reps to actually do a little research i bet they wont like the numbers.
Sorry about my vent i will step off my soap box now!

Hi-my name is Cindy and i am a suggie adict

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/21/09 06:54 PM

HI all, I think we should take and stand and tell them NO we will keep our pets!! This a free country! Our loved ones shed there blood for our freedom!So speak up and say no. I sent a e-mail to congres and called my Rep,today.and I'am very shy,so if I can you can.
http://www.nohr669.com

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/22/09 07:37 PM

One more time, with feeling!

The way I read this is: Unless an animal is "approved" through a rather lengthy process, it is "banned". Banned means NO interstate travel - what if your vet is in another state? What if you're forced to move to another state? What if you become sick and can't care for your pets and the best new home is in another state?

Should HR669 be adopted AS CURRETNLY WRITTEN only the following non-native animals would be allowed:

any cat (Felis catus)
cattle or oxen (Bos taurus)
chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus)
dog (Canis lupus familiaris)
donkey or [censored] (Equus asinus)
domesticated members of the family Anatidae (geese)
duck (domesticated Anas spp.)
goat (Capra aegagrus hircus)
goldfish (Carassius auratus auratus)
horse (Equus caballus)
llama (Lama glama)
mule or hinny (Equus caballus x E. asinus)
pig or hog (Sus scrofa domestica)
domesticated varieties of rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus)
sheep (Ovis aries)

The way this bill is worded, it will cause problems for gliders and any other "non-native" animal not on the approved list when/if this bill gets passsed. There are better ways of doing what this bill wants to do (ban importation but not intersate movement, ban sale, whatever), but that's probalby what the special interest groups want us to do - agree to a lesser form of the bill so our rights are slowly eroded.

---- In order to be placed on the "Approved List" it must be established that the species has not, or is not likely, to cause "harm" anywhere in the US. Species that are considered potentially harmful would be placed on an "Unapproved List." Furthermore, HR 669 would essentially ban all species that do not appear on the Approved List, regardless of whether or not they have ever been petitioned for listing or are sufficiently well studied to enable a listing determination. ------
Posted By: Nicki

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/22/09 08:00 PM

I contacted my local news...although I haven't heard anything from them - so they probably won't run the story...
But I did write a letter and I forwarded an e-mail on to everyone I know...and I followed up with them to make sure they sent a letter as well.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/22/09 08:41 PM

Contact info for the sub-committee members and the co-sponsors of the bill is below.

A call or faxed letter is best at this point - it's still taking time for mailed letters to get to Congress because of anti-terrorism measures, and e-mails are taken less seriously. If time is short, concentrate on the representatives in your state or surrounding states. If you feel this bill will hurt your right to keep your gliders (remember, NO crossing state lines unless on the "approved" list), please contact ASAP. The hearing in the committee is tomorrow - let's stop this so it won't get to the House or Senate floor for a vote.

If the sub-committee member is a co-sponsor and vise versa, that's noted next to the name.

Also keep in mind, many non-native animals that are causing ecological problems WERE NOT pets - they were brought over as accidental stow-aways on freight. Zebra mussels came in with ships' bilge water without our knowledge, many reptiles, rodents, and insects came in with cargo from overseas, and so forth. This bill wouldn't have stopped them.

Plus, do you know how many tax dollars could go into researching if an animal should be approved or banned? What do you think they'll do to save money? Ban your non-native pet rather than research it. Each state can ALREADY decide what animals can be sold or kept in the state, so why do we need it at the federal level?

-----------------------

Mrs. Madeleine Z. Bordallo, Guam, Chairwoman
427 Cannon House Office Building
United States House of Representatives
(202) 225-1188, fax (202) 226-0341

Mr. Henry E. Brown, Jr., SC (Ranking Republican Member)
103 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-3176 Fax: (202) 225-3407

Dale E. Kildee, Michigan (Co-Sponsor)
2107 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515
202-225-3611 Fax 202-225-6393

Eni F.H. Faleomavaega, American Samoa (Co-Sponsor)
2422 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515-5201
Phone 202-225-8577 Fax: 202-225-8757
Email: faleomavaega@mail.house.gov

Neil Abercrombie, Hawaii (Co-Sponsor)
1502 Longworth House
Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515
phone: (202) 225-2726 fax: (202) 225-4580

Frank Pallone, Jr., New Jersey (Co-Sponsor)
237 Cannon Building
Washington, D.C. 20515-3006
Phone: (202) 225-4671
Fax: (202) 225-9665

Gregorio "Kilili" Sablan, Mariana Islands (Co-Sponsor)
423 Cannon HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515
Phone: (202) 225-2646 Fax: (202) 226-4249

Donna M. Christensen, Virgin Islands
1510 Longworth HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515
Phone: 202-225-1790 Fax: 202-225-5517

Diana DeGette, Colorado
2335 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: 202-225-4431 Fax: 202-225-5657

Ron Kind, Wisconsin
1406 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC 20515
PH: (202) 225-5506 FX: (202) 225-5739

Lois Capps, California
1110 Longworth House Office Building
Washington D.C. 20515
Phone: (202) 225-3601 Fax: (202) 225-5632

Carol Shea-Porter, New Hampshire
1330 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC 20515
p. (202) 225-5456 f. (202) 225-5822

Frank Kratovil, Jr., Maryland
314 Cannon House Office Building
Washington D.C. 20510
phone: 202-225-5311
fax: 202-225-0254

Pedro R. Pierluisi, Puerto Rico
1218 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC 20515-5401
Phone: (202) 225-2615

Nick J. Rahall, II, West Virginia (ex officio)
2307 Rayburn HOB
Washington,DC 20515
(202) 225-3452

Don Young, Alaska
2111 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515
202-225-5765

Jeff Flake, Arizona
240 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515
(202) 225-2635 (202) 226-4386 fax

Doug Lamborn, Colorado
437 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-4422 Fax: (202) 226-2638

Robert J. Wittman, Virginia
1318 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC 20515
ph: 202-225-4261 fax: 202-225-4382

John Fleming, Louisiana
1023 Longworth HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515
Phone: (202) 225-2777 Fax: (202) 225-8039

Jason Chaffetz, Utah
1032 Longworth HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515
Phone: (202) 225-7751 Fax: (202) 225-5629

Bill Cassidy, Louisiana
506 Cannon HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515
Phone: (202) 225-3901 Fax: (202) 225-7313

Doc Hastings, Washington
1203 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-5816 Fax: (202) 225-3251

Bill Co-Sponsors

Rep. Grace Napolitano [D-CA]
Del. Eni Faleomavaega [D-AS] sub-committee
Rep. Frank Pallone [D-NJ] sub-committee
Rep. Neil Abercrombie [D-HI] sub-committee

Rep. James McGovern [D-MA] 202-225-6101

Rep. Lynn Woolsey [D-CA]
2263 Rayburn Building
Washington, DC 20515
Ph.: 202-225-5161 Fax: 202-225-5163

Rep. Raul Grijalva [D-AZ]
1440 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC 20515
ph (202) 225-2435 fax (202) 225-1541

Rep. Barbara Lee [D-CA]
2444 Rayburn HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515
Phone: (202) 225-2661 Fax: (202) 225-9817

Rep. Barney Frank [D-MA]
Rep. Steve Kagen [D-WI]
Rep. Maurice Hinchey [D-NY]

Rep. Sam Farr [D-CA]
1126 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
202-225-2861 Fax 202-225-6791

Rep. Alcee Hastings [D-FL]

Del. Gregorio Sablan [I-MP] - sub-committee

Rep. Steve Cohen [D-TN]
1005 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-3265 Fax: (202) 225-5663

Rep. Ronald Kind [D-WI] sub-committee

Rep. Rush Holt [D-NJ]
1214 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
202-225-5801 202-225-6025 (fax)

Rep. Dale Kildee [D-MI] sub-committee

Rep. Ron Klein [D-FL]
313 Cannon House Office Bldg.
Washington, D.C. 20515
p: (202) 225.3026 f: (202) 225.8398
Toll Free #: (866) 713.7303

Rep. Peter DeFazio [D-OR]

Rep. George Miller [D-CA]
2349 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: 202-225-3201 Fax: 202-226-6962

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 04/23/09 02:44 AM

Hearing on H.R. 669 Thursday 10AM LIVE webcast

Watch what happens

The Subcommittee hearing on H.R. 669 will be broadcast via the Internet tomorrow (Thursday, April 23rd). Below is the link information.

The following link will get you to either audio or video webcast of Subcommittee on Insular Affairs, Oceans and Wildlife Legislative Hearing on H.R. 669

(10:00 am). The webcast should go live at 10:00 a.m.

http://resourcescommittee.house.gov/inde...273&Itemid=

H.R. 669 is dead for now! - 04/23/09 10:37 PM

Has anyone heard of this bill before it was passed???

No more breeding or selling -

No more going across state lines -

I think that's the way I read it -

And if you don't already have a vet for your glider or any other exotic animal your in deep kaka

Sue
owned by &
mom to

Re: HR669 bill passed in Washington - 04/23/09 10:52 PM

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/...TS_I#Post762567

There's been a thread on it for a while...

I've been waiting to hear if it passed or not...this is really sad frown

Re: HR669 bill passed in Washington - 04/23/09 10:53 PM

Are we sure this PASSES!

Re: HR669 bill passed in Washington - 04/23/09 10:55 PM

I can't find any articles on it myself...

Where did you hear this at Beezer?

Re: HR669 bill passed in Washington - 04/23/09 10:59 PM

Yes, I could not find any articles stating it passed either. I thought they were just supposed to hold a hearing about it today? I'm not even sure what that means, but I was under the impression that it had to go through many more steps before it actually became a law??
Posted By: chattrbabe

Re: HR669 bill passed in Washington - 04/23/09 11:06 PM

*crosses fingers*
Posted By: Suggiegramma

Re: HR669 bill passed in Washington - 04/23/09 11:16 PM

The list for the animals that will be included has not even been considered yet. I believe this legislation is basically for dangerous animals such as snakes, etc.

Re: HR669 bill passed in Washington - 04/23/09 11:25 PM

I"m currently reading a blog on a herp message board. I dont know how updated it is really but whoever is posting this info is/was there in person hearing everything. I dont know if I can post the link or not...if you want to send me a PM I can send it along...it's a long read so far...most of the objections seem to be geared toward fish farms and a few defending the pet industry as a whole, and how it would effect unemployment, etc...

Re: HR669 bill passed in Washington - 04/23/09 11:31 PM

And no...this bill has NOT passed....they aren't even up to that yet.
Posted By: Laurens_Babies

Re: HR669 bill passed in Washington - 04/23/09 11:39 PM

It has to go thru many more people to "Pass" but I do believe if they squash it today that is it for now????

Re: HR669 bill passed in Washington - 04/24/09 12:52 AM

It would never pass 'as is' because it is to encompassing, but at some point some version of it will pass. Don't know how they plan to carry it out. There are already laws on the books that they can't and won't enforce.

Re: HR669 bill passed in Washington - 04/24/09 01:32 AM

The SUBCOMMITTEE hearing for the proposed bill was today. So, it never even came up for a vote, thankfully. This is where you want to kill a bad bill, in the subcommitte or committee before it gets to the House or Senate.

H.R. 669 is dead for now! - 04/24/09 01:34 AM

As seen on a reptile list:

<quoted text removed>

Of course, if you live in a county, city or state where your glider is illegal, you might not want to bring attention to yourself.

Re: H.R. 669 is dead for now! - 04/24/09 02:09 AM

I agree...I think a lot of exotic pet owners should continue to write letters. I'll gladly do it!

Re: H.R. 669 is dead for now! - 04/24/09 02:24 AM

I guess I was misinformed - glad to hear that the ban is still up in the air -

I'll do whatever I can do have this STOPPED DEAD IN IT'S TRACKS -

This would be taking a lot of peoples lively hoods away from them - all it means is that breeders would have to get licensed and we would have to get our birds registered with a veterinarian asap - also our sugs -

Sorry For the confusion - I was on my Remembering Alex (Bird Forum) and god discombubulated

Sue
owned by &
mom to

Update on HR 669 - 04/24/09 11:36 PM

Just and update on this bill. It did not pass nor is it dead. We need to keep sending letters and faxes to our delegates on this bill.

I got this update from one of the Parrot clubs of which I am a member.

Re: Update on HR 669 - 04/24/09 11:46 PM

Thanks Kimberley - I was reading the posts on the parrot forum and thank goodness we still have a little time to squelch that stupid bill -

Sue
owned by &
mom to

Re: Update on HR 669 - 04/25/09 01:25 AM

I received an email from NIPS, if your interested in reading what they had to say please pm me for the info.

I've included the links. hope the links are ok.

http://resources.edgeboss.net/wmedia/resources/2009_04_23_insular.wvx

A written synopsis of the hearing can be found using this link.

http://www.pethobbyist.com/sitenews/inde...9.html#extended

Re: Update on HR 669 - 04/26/09 04:36 PM

I was sent a link to an article on The Bird Channel . com. It basically stated that pet owners in America put on a great "Grass Roots" effort of writing letters,sending faxes and phone calls. They received almost 50,000 letters delivered to the sub-committee members. That number was added that on top of the thousands upon thousands of phone calls, e-mail and letters directly to subcommittee members.

One of the sub-committee members was quoted as saying that they had not seen a letter writing campagn of that magnatude in almost 30 years and that we should be proud of ourselves.

If you would like to read the article on The Bird Channel the link is http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-news/2009/04/23/hr669-after-the-hearing.aspx

We need to keep writing letters to these committee members. This bill in not dead, they have just tabled it for revisions.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 05/03/09 06:53 PM

I am pretty sure it didn't pass, although I haven't really confirmed it. However, even the bill writers said it needs to be rewritten and would not pass as is, so that means they WILL come back... Like always.
Posted By: Dani4Hedgies

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 05/03/09 07:57 PM

What we have argued about this law on the hedgehogworld board is that this law is to prevent non-native animals from taking resources needed by native animals to live. With this being the goal of this law here is a major point that need to be pointed out to our congress:

BOTH hedgehogs and Sugar Gliders require a temp of 70 or high 24/7 to live where in the wild could they live in the US? Perhaps the dessert states (which they are already illegal in) but here in the Mid-West there is NO way a hedgehog or sugar glider would be a threat to the native animals. Cause it would NOT survive the fall/winter/spring.
Posted By: chattrbabe

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 05/03/09 10:01 PM

Hedgehogs are illegal here but Suggies are legal. I'd like to keep mine. If people were more responsible, none of this would have come about.

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 05/04/09 01:18 AM

What i was told today was that they sent the bill back to be revised to take hamsters and gerbils off the list.
We are stillnot out of the blue people!

Please contact your legislature and representatives, local congressmen!

Posted By: kipluck

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 06/08/09 05:41 AM

Also, as ludicrous as this bill is, it continues to gain support! New Co-sponsors have been added to their ranks. Were they in MY state I would put them on my VOTE OUT list for sure!!!

Cosponsors (31):

Democrats: Napolitano Grace [CA-38], George Miller [CA-7], McGovern James P.[MA-3], Klein Ron [FL-22], Kind Ron [WI-3], Kildee Dale [MI-5], Hastings Alcee [FL-23], Grijalva Raul M. [AZ-7], Abercrombie Neil [HI-1], Lee Barbara [CA-9], Faleomavaega, Eni F.H. [AS], Frank Barney [MA-4], Barbara Lee [CA-9], Lynn Woolsey [CA-6], Sam Farr [CA-17], Steve Cohen [TN-9], Rush D. Holt [NJ-12], Peter A. DeFazio [OR-4], Steve Kagen [WI-8], Frank Pallone Jr. [NJ-6], Maurice D. Hinchey [NY-22], Capps Lois [CA-23], Gonzales Charles A. [TX-20], Christensen Donna [VI], Filner Bob [CA-51], Lewis John [GA-5], Rothman Steven R.[NJ-9], Walz Timothy J. [MN-1], Peterson Collin C. [MN]

Independent: Gregorio Sablan [Northern Mariana Islands]

Republicans: Diaz-Balart Lincoln [FL-21], Ros-Lehtinen Ileana [FL-18]

Grrrr...
It ISN'T dead, though we are doing a good job. I just hope people don't think "oh, this law is too silly. It will never pass." and therefore not make their voice heard and LET the wicked thing pass.

You can find out more at places like REXANO http://www.rexano.org/HR669_Wildlife_Invasion_Frame.htmwhere I am a member. You have to stand together, you know?

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 06/08/09 09:02 AM

*cough*

Only a Liberal would support this.

*cough*

Re: HR669!!!~ BAN ON ALL EXOTIC PETS IN AMERICA!!! - 06/08/09 09:15 PM

Read Part 2
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL