GliderCENTRAL

USDA lic.

Posted By: rdobbie23

USDA lic. - 07/30/09 07:01 PM

Ok so now I am up to 4 females...1 of them will not be bred. DO I now qualify to apply for my USDA lic.?!!!!

If so would someone be so kind as to point me down the right road/path? I tried looking on the USDA website, and I must not be looking in the right spot. I can't find anything that says what all i have to have?!
Posted By: Jaxsuggies

Re: USDA lic. - 07/30/09 07:12 PM

You need to call 1-919-855-7100 and ask for Jeremy Wood. You will ask for a breeder package. You might need to call a few times before they actually send you one.

After you get the package, you fill it out and send it back to them. They will then call you and set up a visit.

Hope this helps.

Paula
Posted By: Guerita135

Re: USDA lic. - 07/30/09 07:14 PM

You can request a kit here: https://web01.aphis.usda.gov/ApplicationKit.nsf/application?OpenForm

Mine got here pretty quick. wink

Re: USDA lic. - 07/30/09 07:45 PM

thanks thumb
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: USDA lic. - 07/31/09 03:30 AM

Except that to obtain a license you are supposed to have 4 or more breeding females (unless you have other breeding animals that the USDA watches over). So, since you will still only have 3 breeding females, depending on who you talk to, you may still not qualify.

Moving this to Regulations & Laws
Posted By: anjill_tree

Re: USDA lic. - 07/31/09 01:52 PM

They will not send you application until you have 4 breeding females. I told them my plan for more females when I had only 2, then she sent it to me.

Re: USDA lic. - 08/07/09 04:01 PM

well there are no plans for anymore breeding females in the near future, so should I even bother?
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: USDA lic. - 08/07/09 05:50 PM

No, they would prefer you wait until you are planning on 4 or have 4 or more breeding females to apply. Since you are not planning on having more than 3 breeding females, you do not need a license to breed.
Posted By: fliptout

Re: USDA lic. - 11/23/09 03:04 AM

how long does it usually take to get the license?
Posted By: SweetGliders

Re: USDA lic. - 11/25/09 11:51 AM

That all depends on your USDA inspector. You have to have all your paper work completed, turned in, fee's paid & vet visit's done then they will come to see you. Once you get your inspection and you pass all the requirements then your license will come in the mail with in 7-14 days.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: USDA lic. - 11/25/09 03:04 PM

Jennifer laid it out pretty nicely here (including new changes to the regulations)

http://www.petsugargliders.com/sgusda.php#getting
Posted By: Tish84

Re: USDA lic. - 11/25/09 03:36 PM

Are those regulations changes current?

If they are, it seems like I'd have to get a license.
The only female spayed I have is my dog.

My bunny isn't spayed and neither are my 3 female gliders. That's crazy because I only plan on breeding one of my gliders. My other 2 are in a non-breeding trio.

Re: USDA lic. - 11/25/09 04:50 PM

Rabbits aren't regulated under USDA are they? As long as the animal isn't considered exotic or regulated under USDA's laws, I'm pretty sure you're fine. I have 22 female chinchillas in breeding and I don't have to be certified because they're considered livestock. Though I will have to apply for certification since I have more female gliders on the way. Working on getting a vet out to my house under $1000 has been fun though.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: USDA lic. - 11/25/09 06:11 PM

Unless the chins are being raised for the sole purpose of their fur, they should NOT be comsidered "livestock" and should be regulated by the USDA. Same for rabbits (if not raised for food or fur). I'm betting if someone made a glider fur coat, the ruling would be changed to where gliders are "livestock" too. What a shame that would be!

(my opinion only)

Re: USDA lic. - 11/25/09 06:11 PM

I did look up on the USDA website when I requested my packet and there were recent changes to the regulations.....I don't know when they were changed but I know in NY it went from 4 breeding females to three

Re: USDA lic. - 11/25/09 06:23 PM

The USDA site lists gliders as "pock et pets" (didn't want it to link to PPP) and chins as "wild/exotic other animals". Not sure how chins can be considered "livestock" unless it is a chin farm for the sole purpose of food/fiber(fur). PET chins are not "livestock". Pet chins are classified as "exotic" by the USDA and would have to be regulated.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfare/downloads/manuals/eig/9.1_eig.pdf

Re: USDA lic. - 11/25/09 06:42 PM

I'm sorry, but I personally do not know one chinchilla breeder who is USDA certified other than those that sell to pet stores. All of my chins come from breeders who have up to over 2000 chinchillas in breeding and they are not USDA certified because it is not a requirement. They are from the most respectable top show breeders in the United States who have been doing this for 20-35 years. The chinchilla market is based on the pelt market, yes, but what you do not realize is that the majority of chinchillas aren't used for pelts anymore unless the chinchilla is deathly sick or already dead. There is more money in selling them as pets instead of pelts because pelts rarely go for over $50 each now. I'm not talking fur farms here - as I have absolutely nothing to do with them and I honestly don't know anyone who runs one and I'm very familiar with the chinchilla industry, at least in the US. If you sell your chinchillas privately then a license has never been required. All of my chins are pet chins (and show quality) and I have never pelted or raised for fur. Chinchillas are considered domesticated livestock and you can ask any USDA inspector and they will tell you the same.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584&highlight=usda

Re: USDA lic. - 11/25/09 06:51 PM

Don't know, don't have chins. Just going off what the USDA regulations state.

Re: USDA lic. - 11/25/09 07:02 PM

Oh it's ok. I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, I just want to make sure that it's known that those types of animals are exempted as long as they're sold as pets and not to pet stores. The breeders would be considered a "retail pet store" with non-dangerous animals.

Here - this may help:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfare/downloads/manuals/dealer/exemptions.pdf

Re: USDA lic. - 11/25/09 07:09 PM

wow, now that's confusing isn't it! They list chinchillas as "wild exotic other animals" on one page and then list them as "pet animals" on another. Typical govermental snafu I guess.

Re: USDA lic. - 11/25/09 07:14 PM

It really is. I actually thought I had to be licensed at first until I got in touch with the USDA and was told that chins are considered domesticated livestock to them. I'm not exactly sure why they would be called livestock other than the fur use, as I don't see chins grazing fields lol. I consider chinchillas to be an exotic animal, but my opinion doesn't really matter.

Re: USDA lic. - 09/23/10 05:53 PM

I received information from the Western Region APHIS office. My question to his office was:

Can you please tell me what the federal regualations are regarding the possession and breeding of sugar gliders by an individual? At what point should someone be licensed by the USDA, etc.

Dean Wonsbeck, APHIS is the contact person. I received some interesting feedback.

I have his phone number and email if anyone wants to contact him directly. I'm just passing on information, not saying whether it is correct information or not, but it is directly from APHIS in writing!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL