GliderCENTRAL

ban on all exotic animals?

Posted By: TempyKDog

ban on all exotic animals? - 04/05/10 07:11 AM

has anyone else seen this? it says by april 29th there may be a new law to get rid of all exotic animals, besides farm animals, cats, and dogs. Has anyone else heard about this?

http://shorttailedopossum.tripod.com/hr669_exotic_pet_ban.htm
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: ban on all exotic animals? - 04/05/10 07:31 AM

Oh my gosh... Although, I'm from the pHilippines, I'm still a lil bit worried... In one way or another, we will also be affected if this is really true...
Posted By: WintersSong

Re: ban on all exotic animals? - 04/05/10 07:37 AM

That was from '09, and so it would've already been voted upon.

My understanding is that this bill (or one similar) was already voted on and failed... Or that, at the very least, it was sent back for "changes" to be made.

Personally -- I am not very worried. I don't see something like this passing.

Re: ban on all exotic animals? - 04/05/10 07:45 AM

Oh thank you WinterSong! I couldnt find a date on it anywhere.
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: ban on all exotic animals? - 04/05/10 07:52 AM

My understanding on a law like this is if you ALREADY own them when the law gets passed you are "grandfathered" in and can keep the animals BUT they have to be "legally owned" (permits and such)the law would be to stop NEW ownership. Honestly they couldnt expect all those people to give up their animals. what would they do with them? I wont give mine up without a fight thats for sure.

Re: ban on all exotic animals? - 04/05/10 01:14 PM

Even if this hasn't been passed it is still slightly irritating that they would even try. I do understand that many people keep exotics and mistreat them, release them into our native environment, and such, but why not make that a felony? If you mistreat or release any captive animal it should then be a felony to that individual person. And I have personally seen just as many ignorant dog owners as I have exotic pet owners. Should they ban dogs as well? Its just silly.
Posted By: LabNGliderMom

Re: ban on all exotic animals? - 04/05/10 01:25 PM

*Be advised an APPROVED list and a BANNED list of animals WILL be a part of this bill- it is important if you own NON-US ENVIRONMENT THREATENING exotic species (like a sugar gldier) that you do what you can to get them on the APPROVED list. ANY animal NOT on the approved list- EVEN if it is also not on the BANNED list WILL BE BANNED. You will NOT have to stop OWNING them- but you WILL be required to get an expensive PERMIT to keep them, NEVER breed them again, NEVER sell them again AND never travel across state lines with them again for any purpose.*

for more info:

Click here to view the ACTUAL BILL

Click here for mor info on the bill in layman's terms

Click here for how to stop/ammend the bill

Yes, it WAS voted on and DID fail HOWEVER my understanding is they are changing the wording and planning to try again BECASUE of the snake problem in the everglades and issues with big cat and ape species attacks nationwide by non-native species.
Posted By: heidi

Re: ban on all exotic animals? - 04/05/10 01:42 PM

how do we potition it????????????what can we do???????????
Posted By: heidi

Re: ban on all exotic animals? - 04/05/10 02:33 PM

to say no on the web site is down......what else is there too do???????????

Re: ban on all exotic animals? - 04/05/10 02:41 PM

Wintersong said this was from 2009 but it looks like it may try again but with some major changes.
Posted By: tlkngfethrs1

Re: ban on all exotic animals? - 04/08/10 12:11 AM

that's ok in my county we DO have a ban on exotic/ wild animals.. but we have a list of what is banned if it's not on that list then you can own them, oh and you bet I checked before I got gliders.
Posted By: zenjenn

Re: ban on all exotic animals? - 04/11/10 03:51 PM

Leave it to the US Congress to try to remove a splinter with a chainsaw. Typical.

Re: ban on all exotic animals? - 04/11/10 06:05 PM

Zenjenn - what an awesome metaphor.

Has our congress bothered to think what would happen to all the little creatures that would be banned? I quiver at the thought.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: ban on all exotic animals? - 04/11/10 08:28 PM

I have the right to bare arms and I do have several different fire arms in my home, all of which I know how to use and am quite good with. I have the right to use those firearms to protect me, my family and my home (and all things IN my home. Let them try to come to my home and take my animals.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL