GliderCENTRAL

Are Lima Beans Toxic?

Posted By: Anonymous

Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 09/14/09 01:30 AM

Can sugar gliders have lima beans? They are cooked (part of a bag of mixed veggies) but for some reason I felt like I had read they were toxic???

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 09/14/09 01:40 AM

Oops just realized I posted this in the wrong section! Sorry mods!
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 09/14/09 10:13 AM

There has been a lot of debate about this subject for years. I am not sure where the "information" that lima beans are toxic came from, but my gliders have lima beans in with their mixed veggies and have had no problems dunno

Does anyone know why they have been deemed toxic?

Moving this over to Diet & Nutrition for you wink
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 09/14/09 12:37 PM

Suz, I believe it was GliderRoo that had stated that Lima Beans were toxic. But it has always been said just the RAW lima beans.

I have not had any issues with feeding them to mine neither. I will say in the beginning of glider owning, I was one of the people who were afraid to, and it was Alicia that told me the lima beans in the freezer section were not going to kill your gliders...she was right. I still offer them every now and then, just dont feed often because they are very high in protein as well.

Heres a link that will give you the complete breakdown of the lima bean.

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 09/14/09 01:13 PM

Yep Lima Beans are good.. they are a little hard to digest.. I cook mine before feeding... They arent very high in protein,that chart is for 188grams/approx 10 beans weigh 1 gram but they are really upside down in balance. .15:1 so i only feed them a couple every now and then.
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 09/14/09 01:21 PM

Yes Kris, you're right.

When we discovered Bob was diabetic and went to a nutritional class, we were told that Beans of ANY sort were high in protein and a good substitute for meats...

here is yet another link stating that beans are high in protein, but yes, they ARE indeed upside down in the Ca:P ratio...

http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/nutrition/high-protein-foods.html
Posted By: hpyhwn2003

What's the big deal about lima beans - 10/20/09 02:39 AM

I've heard that gliders shouldn't get any lima beans. Most frozen mixed veggies have them. What's the scoop? Should I be taking them out?
Posted By: sketchyglider

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 10/20/09 02:45 AM

i have read that they are toxic to gliders so just to be on the safe side i take them out, but hopefully someone else who knows for sure will come along with their input because i would like to know myself

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 10/20/09 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: sketchyglider
hopefully someone else who knows for sure will come along with their input because i would like to know myself

Okay. Anyone know why they're toxic?

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 10/20/09 03:16 AM

I did a search here and found the following two posts for you guys

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/...blem#Post846916

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/...eans#Post837662

you'll find that most questions have been asked before and that the search feature will usually give you more info than you know what to do with.......lol

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 10/20/09 03:18 AM

Thanks.

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 10/20/09 03:55 AM

thumb

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 10/20/09 05:00 AM

I have always just heard they are toxic, ever since I started researching glider diet dunno I have no proof to back that up. I think most people who say it just parrot what they have heard from others. I would LOVE to know if you find out if (and why) they are actually toxic!!!

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 10/20/09 05:11 AM

Guess we'll keep asking until someone comes along who knows or knows how to find out. dunno
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 10/20/09 06:04 AM

Years ago before I heard they were toxic, I "fed" them along with the veggie mix, my gliders never touched them. I had read on G.C that they were toxic and started buying mixed veggies without the lima beans. I have seen on here that some people do feed them though. Confusing.
Posted By: tammyangel

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 10/20/09 06:11 AM

Lima Beans are toxic if they are not cooked.But in frozen veggies they have already been cooked and are safe. But some gliders don't like them and some do. I found this out from Peggy awhile back when I didn't understand why they are toxic .I have some that do like them and some that don't touch them at all.

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 10/20/09 10:03 AM

What about 15 bean soup - I cook that until the beans are really - really soft add cooked brown rice and cooked mixed frozen veggies - I feed this to my birds every day instead of seed -

I'm not feeding this to the gliders but I was wondering why not???

Sue
owned by
Posted By: gliderma

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 10/20/09 10:47 AM

Walmart does have a frozen mixed veggie mix without lima beans, that I use. Mine pick the corn first, everytime! I don't know why lima beans are toxic but have always heard the same thing.

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 10/20/09 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By: gliderma
Walmart does have a frozen mixed veggie mix without lima beans, that I use. Mine pick the corn first, everytime!

That's what I use too. Just wondered why they were bad. Mine go for the corn first too.

Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 10/20/09 12:49 PM

Raw lima beans contain a cyanogenic called linamarin (spelling?). I believe that it is rendered safe with cooking. I think that there are also different variety of lima beans now and some are raised as "low-linamarin".

Because the ones in frozen mixes are already fully or partially cooked, they are safe for glider and human consumption.
Posted By: Meg_n_Von

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 10/21/09 06:59 PM

Nice question... smile
Posted By: CharmedSuggies

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 10/21/09 09:20 PM

Quote:
Dangers of Onion, Garlic, Lima Bean & Soy

LIMA BEANS:

Uncooked lima beans & kidney beans are considered toxic as they contain cyanide-producing compounds (cyanogenic glycosides) & the liver is only capable of detoxifying small amounts of them. I have no idea what would be considered a safe amount to feed to gliders & obviously the more often they are fed the greater the risk becomes for a toxic level to build up. Additionally, uncooked lima beans, kidney beans & soybeans contain proteolytic enzyme inhibitors which can prevent/decrease utilization of substances such as trypsin & chymotrypsin thus producing nutritional deficiencies. Trypsin & chymotrypsin are juices secreted by the pancreas to help split proteins into smaller substances called pancreatic proteases. Then intestinal peptidases finally reduce the proteins to amino acids. After digestion, amino acids in the small intestine are then absorped by the blood & carried to all body tissue where they are used to form proteins needed by body tissue. Since lima beans, kidney beans & soybeans contain proteolytic enzyme inhibitors & can cause proteins not to be properly broken down to amino acids, it could reduce the amount of usuable protein in a glider's diet. Finally, these enzyme inhibitors can contribute to difficulty in digesting lima beans, kidney beans & soybeans thereby causing excessive gas, abdominal pain & diarrhea.
Posted By: Kim Schrader

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 10/26/09 09:46 PM

I heard it gives them gas. Apparently that is a big deal.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 10/27/09 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Kim Schrader
I heard it gives them gas. Apparently that is a big deal.

Gas and gliders was discussed in this faction/fiction thread grin
Posted By: SeemsFamiliar

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 12/29/09 07:17 PM

I accidentally bought a bag of mixed veg containing lima beans once. (I must have been really out of it.) I realized it the next morning when there were limas untouched on only nibbled left in their dishes. The two gliders that actually ate the lima beans acted very wobbly and sickly. After some warmth, rest, several hours, and licky snacks they finally started acting okay again. Everything ended up fine but I was scared to death that I'd poisoned them. The gliders that only nibbled the beans and decided they were icky didn't seem messed up after it.
Posted By: SeemsFamiliar

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 12/29/09 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: tammyangel
Lima Beans are toxic if they are not cooked.But in frozen veggies they have already been cooked and are safe. But some gliders don't like them and some do. I found this out from Peggy awhile back when I didn't understand why they are toxic .I have some that do like them and some that don't touch them at all.

If I remember correctly, frozen vegetables are NOT cooked. They are blanched which means that they start as if to cook them and warm them some, but they are not thoroughly cooked. Like if you were going to cook fresh green beans, they may take 15 minutes to steam until they are done, well imagine only cooking them for 2 or 3 and then freezing them. Apparently they freeze better that way.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Are Lima Beans Toxic? - 12/29/09 07:46 PM

While this is true of most vegies, frozen beans (like lima, black eyed peas etc) are fully cooked before being frozen because of how long it takes to actually cook the beans.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL