GliderCENTRAL

Raw or Pure honey

Posted By: Srlb

Raw or Pure honey - 01/29/17 09:58 PM

I see so many folks asking about the difference between Raw and Pure honey.

Critter LoveŽ staples (formerly known as HPW) calls for using RAW honey only in their staple mixes.

BML only calls for pure honey in their staple mix.

Be sure to find out what honey your diet calls for as well before choosing if it is not one that is listed above.

The difference? Pure honey is overheated and processed. Once doing so, it removes almost all of the nutrients in it, leaving basically sugar behind.

Raw honey is the most original sweet liquid that honeybees produce from the concentrated nectar of flowers. Collected straight from the extractor; it is totally unheated, unpasteurized, unprocessed honey.

Here is a little information on the differences between Raw Honey and Pure Honey.

Choose RAW honey
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Raw or Pure honey - 01/29/17 10:15 PM

Thank you very much for this post, Peggy.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Raw or Pure honey - 01/30/17 01:36 PM

Peggy,

Have you ever heard about warm and cold filtering of raw honey?

I love to buy local honey at local farmers markets (for allergen benefits to humans). And I got to talk to several beekeepers. According to two I have talked to, there is a benefit to cold filtering over warm filtering. Cold filtering takes longer,(sometimes over night) but allows more of the benefits of honey to stay in the honey.

When I ask other beekeepers, they say that as long as it isn't warmed above 110 deg (I think), it's all the same.

I was just curious if you have heard of this. And yes, thank you for the great info!
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Raw or Pure honey - 01/30/17 01:52 PM

Anything heated over 70 degrees begins to knock down the nutrients from what I have learned from all the bee keepers I have talked to. My cousin also has a nice bee farm on her property. She never goes over 60degrees.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Raw or Pure honey - 01/30/17 02:13 PM

Thank you! Cold filtering made sense to me. I'm glad you have resources there to ask/ know first hand. Makes me feel better about my choices.

:yes:
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL