GliderCENTRAL

Make it Fun!

Posted By: Ladymagyver

Make it Fun! - 01/23/18 12:52 AM

So a while back, Glider Nursery suggested this, and I finally tried it, and it works!!!

I put some of their fruits(apple)and vegs(peas, carrots, green beans) in to foraging cups around the cage. It allows their foraging instincts to kick in, and keeps them from pulling up to "The ole feed cup" and munching down. It also promoted some more extercise. It's also fun to watch!

The other issue I've had with the girls is eating Kale and bok choy leaves... they wouldn't touch them fresh or frozen. So, I bought some fresh kale(bok choy not available in my area right now), and teased them with it like you would a feather. They hunted it down, chasing it all over the cage. When they got a bite of it, they actually sat down, and ate it! OMGosh!!! This has been a huge breakthrough!!!

So, then I would stick the shredded kale stalk in the cage bars, and by morning it would be more shredded and wilted in the bottom of the cage. I still offer kale in their Critter love salad mix, but so far, they seem to only go for it fresh when I play with it. We play about every other day with the fresh kale. Been doing this for about a week.

The only drawback on using foraging cups, is I have to wash them every day when I put juicy f/vegs in them, and every other day or so when I put solids in like peas.
Posted By: billytense aka Lisa11

Re: Make it Fun! - 01/23/18 06:25 AM

Definitely going to try the"kale feather",?!!!
Thanks!
Posted By: Hutch

Re: Make it Fun! - 01/23/18 07:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Ladymagyver
So, I bought some fresh kale(bok choy not available in my area right now), and teased them with it like you would a feather. They hunted it down, chasing it all over the cage. When they got a bite of it, they actually sat down, and ate it! OMGosh!!! This has been a huge breakthrough!!!

(...)

So, then I would stick the shredded kale stalk in the cage bars, and by morning it would be more shredded and wilted in the bottom of the cage. I still offer kale in their Critter love salad mix, but so far, they seem to only go for it fresh when I play with it. We play about every other day with the fresh kale. Been doing this for about a week.

That is an incredible idea!! Consider it stolen wink

Re: Make it Fun! - 01/23/18 05:44 PM

Hutch, steal away!

In my excitement of the moment, I forgot to mention I use 1/2 of the stalk of fresh kale. I can't wait to try bok choy next, when it be comes available, but then again, it's a bit pricey compared to kale. Maybe when it's time to chop salads...
Posted By: Feather

Re: Make it Fun! - 01/23/18 05:45 PM

Great idea!
Posted By: Claralice

Re: Make it Fun! - 01/24/18 01:41 AM

I love this Kale idea! Cat toy here we come!

Re: Make it Fun! - 01/24/18 03:06 AM

Good news everyone!

Last night, I didn't give fresh kale. Just frozen. When I took their dishes out today, the leafy part was cleaned out of their dish! Only thing left were carrots... They are getting better with carrots, it seems they eat them certain times of the week, not every day.
Posted By: billytense aka Lisa11

Re: Make it Fun! - 01/24/18 04:35 AM

Now I can't wait for gardening season! While new reason to grow good stuff.

Re: Make it Fun! - 01/28/18 01:21 PM

I'm still getting fantastic results with offering fresh kale (part of their diet in CL salad )every few nights.

Anyone else? They are also eating in now in their frozen salad. I do pick it out when I feed fresh to make sure they don't over do it.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Make it Fun! - 01/28/18 05:25 PM

:yes:
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Make it Fun! - 02/24/18 06:28 PM

Love seeing how this is working! Soemtimes we just need to change up the presentation (while still following the diet plan).
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL