GliderCENTRAL

diet question for research

Posted By: georgina

diet question for research - 02/21/18 12:54 PM

hi i am just starting the research into sugar gliders, i was wondering if beef suet with insects in can be used as part of their diet?
i know it seems like a strange question but i can't find the answer.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suet-Go-Insect-Pellets-12-75/dp/B00T33VUEK

it will be a couple of years till i actually get one but want to use the time to learn about them.
Posted By: Hutch

Re: diet question for research - 02/21/18 05:28 PM

Since those are made for birds specifically, I would not recommend. There is a lot of information on this site about diets that are designed for sugar gliders. I would highly encourage you to check out those over the product you linked.

My two cents... err, pence for you UK types smile

Re: diet question for research - 02/21/18 06:26 PM

lol that is what i thought. i have looked at the bml diet... just have no idea yet where to get some of the ingredients
Posted By: Hutch

Re: diet question for research - 02/21/18 08:03 PM

Take a look at the Critterlove diets. Everything besides the powder can be found at your local market. (This is what I use.) This one has come out on top in laboratory tests, the results are somewhere on this site.

There also Priscila Price's diet (he pet glider). Again, you'll get almost everything from the market, but you'll need to order vitamins. Another easy one is Sun Coast's diet... but also requires vitamins. (I use to use this.)

The complaint most have with the latter two concerns 'sprinkling' the vitamins over the top before serving; can't be certain that each glider will get their proper portion. Personally, my way around that was to mix it with the food well, so there are ways to make it work.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: diet question for research - 02/22/18 12:26 PM

I was looking into your question yesterday, sorry but I've been really sick with a cold.

Here is another list for the BML diet with pics.

http://www.bmldiet.com/index.html

The vitamin supplements can be ordered from Petsmart, and delivered to UK if it isn't available to you at a local petstore.

The babyfood(equivalent) should be available at your local grocery store. The only thing might not be is the yogurt juice.you can substitute 2oz of juice and 2oz of whole yogurt(Do not use: "no fat", low fat or sugar free). The babyfood recomended is for infants, not toddlers. I hope this helps.

Re: diet question for research - 02/22/18 06:14 PM

smile thanks
Posted By: Nuno

Re: diet question for research - 06/13/18 10:56 AM

Hi All

Does anyone know if beetroot is safe for Sugies? I got a yogi drop
recipe but it contains beet powder and I do not know if it is safe?

Regards

Nuno

Re: diet question for research - 06/13/18 11:16 AM

It's safe. Good luck hope they turn out. smile

Re: diet question for research - 06/13/18 12:51 PM

Hi Dawn

Thank you for the quick response, here in South Africa we
really battle to get stuff for the little ones and to
try and import is just so expensive that we cannot afford it, so the next best thing is to try and make it ourselves.

Regards

Re: diet question for research - 06/28/18 09:52 AM

Hi Everyone

Me again from a very cold South Africa, I was once again
looking up on diets for my little guys and came across
Caroline MacPherson's diet which includes "Dried Cat Food",
is this right?
Please advise as for I am sort of in the dark with this one.

Regards

Re: diet question for research - 06/28/18 12:49 PM

Yes, this is correct. I had to confer with Feather on this (she's at work), and she recommends a high quality cat food if you do choose this diet.

There is a Critter Love distributor in S. Africa if you choose to go that route too:

Sugarglider.co.za

It's important for the health of your gliders to keep the calcium to phosforus ratio of 2:1 in mind when choosing fruits and vegetables.

I hope this was helpful.

Thanks Feather for the help too! smile

Edited ratio.... (Don't know where my brain was. Lol!)

Re: diet question for research - 07/02/18 05:58 AM

Good Morning

Thank you for the info Dawn, I truly appreciate it, though
I must be honest that I am a bit sceptic about this diet, I
think I will stick with the fresh stuff for now.

Regards
Posted By: KarenE

Re: diet question for research - 07/02/18 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Nuno
Good Morning

Thank you for the info Dawn, I truly appreciate it, though
I must be honest that I am a bit sceptic about this diet, I
think I will stick with the fresh stuff for now.

Regards

Would you mind telling us why you are skeptical of Critterlove?
Posted By: Feather

Re: diet question for research - 07/02/18 10:28 PM

I feed and now sell Critterlove products. It is one of the most tested diets out there and testing continues.

I know this because my gliders are now part of the testing. I have seen the results of the blood testing on my gliders and it looks great and my vet is very happy with the results.

I also rescue gliders and when they come in they go right on the Critterlove diet. I have had them come in terrible shape, just skin and bones. They all gain weight and their hair coats change, usually getting darker and their fur looks great.

I highly recommend the Critterlove diet, if I didn't I wouldn't be feeding it.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL