GliderCENTRAL

How to keep Critterlove Complete from freezing solid?

Posted By: sandbat

How to keep Critterlove Complete from freezing solid? - 10/23/18 06:06 PM

Hello,

My vet has recently suggested switching back to Critterlove complete. What is the best way to keep Critterlove Complete from freezing solid? I follow the instructions, but my batches can wind up anywhere from ice cream constistancy to hard as a rock. Is there a secret to getting it perfect every time? I could use an ice cube tray, but I only have two gliders and a whole ice cube is in excess of their needs.

Thanks!
Posted By: KarenE

Re: How to keep Critterlove Complete from freezing solid? - 10/23/18 07:07 PM

There are instructions on the Critterlove Complete bag so you can make it up to be fed daily rather than freezing. That might be what you may prefer to do.
Posted By: Srlb

Re: How to keep Critterlove Complete from freezing solid? - 10/23/18 08:25 PM

Critter Love Complete should always freeze solid. It is the Critter Love Plus that will freeze like ice cream.

If you are freezing the Complete, use silicone ice cube trays.

Personally, I make mine where I will have enough for 5 days and then I just keep it in the fridge.

Re: How to keep Critterlove Complete from freezing solid? - 10/23/18 10:32 PM

Is it possible to just mix up about a teaspoon or so at a time, enough to feed per day without having to throw the rest out after five days? has anyone done this?
Posted By: Feather

Re: How to keep Critterlove Complete from freezing solid? - 10/23/18 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: sandbat
Is it possible to just mix up about a teaspoon or so at a time, enough to feed per day without having to throw the rest out after five days? has anyone done this?

Complete is mixed 1 part Complete powder to 3 parts water, so you could mix up a tablespoon of powder with 3 tablespoons of water.

Re: How to keep Critterlove Complete from freezing solid? - 10/23/18 10:57 PM

Thanks! I may just do that and store the powder in the freezer.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: How to keep Critterlove Complete from freezing solid? - 10/23/18 11:01 PM

When I only had 2 gliders, I offered 1 tablespoon for both because they never ate it all on any day. There were days they didn't touch even that but ate more of the recommended salad.

I would freeze mine in smaller cubes. Or miniature bowls (like for single serve salad dressing). That way when I blended a batch, I could shake it up before each feeding.

It's OK if they don't lick the bowl clean every day, but should be offered enough for both of them. It may seem like an expensive waste, but there may be days they eat more of it than other days.

This will keep down food agression in the future.

I have a trio now, and Stewie came with a batch of CL plus and they all eat more. I still only serve 2Tbs, and there is usually about a half to 1 tsp left a night. Sometimes the bowls are licked clean.

Are you feeding the recommended salads? 2 Tbs for each glider? It's the combination of the staple and salads that offer them a complete healthy diet if why I'm asking.

Posted By: Claralice

Re: How to keep Critterlove Complete from freezing solid? - 10/23/18 11:24 PM

Mine lick their bowls clean. I measure out the amount for a month to feed four and freeze in multiple ice trays (I use the silicone trays with lids) then bag in freezer bags after 24 hours. I pop the cubes out of the bag and into their bowls-just finished after a long day of work. It seems to work great for me and super easy with no mess.

Re: How to keep Critterlove Complete from freezing solid? - 10/24/18 01:21 AM

I might try that. I was chopping and freezing but I might try the pre prepared salads and see how those do.

Re: How to keep Critterlove Complete from freezing solid? - 10/24/18 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Claralice
Mine lick their bowls clean. I measure out the amount for a month to feed four and freeze in multiple ice trays (I use the silicone trays with lids) then bag in freezer bags after 24 hours. I pop the cubes out of the bag and into their bowls-just finished after a long day of work. It seems to work great for me and super easy with no mess.

Yeah, my guys lick the bowls clean and have had problems with obesity, so I don't want to leave too much in their cage for too long, or overfeed, because they *will* eat it all.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: How to keep Critterlove Complete from freezing solid? - 10/24/18 05:49 AM

Originally Posted By: sandbat

Yeah, my guys lick the bowls clean and have had problems with obesity, so I don't want to leave too much in their cage for too long, or overfeed, because they *will* eat it all.

CL does have a 'Low-Cal' version. It may be a better choice on your next purchase. I have chubby one and the other two are fine.

So Dot is on a more aggressive exercise program. She loves her cage so I take her out an watch as she makes her way back to it. We do 2 laps of these 3-4 times a week. Its a total of about 60' of climbing and jumping as she goes. When we get back home, I'm making a roll about wheel. Right now I don't have enough floor space in the RV.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL