GliderCENTRAL

I’m new! Lots of questions!

Posted By: Lonn3

I’m new! Lots of questions! - 12/23/18 09:55 AM

Hey everyone! I’m new here and so thankful I found something like this!! I got two gliders ( male&female around 1 year old) 6 months ago from a couple remhoming. I was so excited I’ve always, since a kid wanted them! I quickly learned female (RiRi)was carrying. She had 1 Suggie (female, Regina George). Then we were thrown into quickly learning about pregnancy, babies and everything! We decided to fix the male (Remi), BUT right before his surgery he snuck not one BUT 2 new babies in! While 2 were in pouch Remi had his surgery. Went well! Now I have 5 gliders!!! New babies are a male and female (Romeo & Rapunzel) they are beautiful! Romeo is being neutered in 2 weeks, NO MORE BABIES! I have not one ounce in my body that can rehome any of my babies! So it’s best to neuter NOW for my questions: I need a new cage, a bigger one. I keep finding them and then thinking i don’t know if it’s the right one. They are a happy family! Never any fighting with them! They love each other and all like to sleep together. So can anyone suggest a big cage appropriate for all? Or does anyone have a similar home life?

Second question is : after a male is neutered is it normal for them to gain weight? Like a lot of weight?

Thanks all! So excited to read
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: I’m new! Lots of questions! - 12/23/18 11:22 AM

Hi, and :welcomegc: wave

I would go with something like this:

https://www.exoticnutrition.com/Products/Congo-Cage__GA13221E.aspx

OR

https://www.exoticnutrition.com/Products/Double-Wide-Cage__GA1642.aspx

OR

https://www.thepetglider.com/collections/sugar-glider-cages-accessories/products/hq-queensland

For the size of your colony.

As afar as your male, it's not normal for them to get extra fluffy.

Do you have a glider safe wheels?

What diet do you feed?

Click on the words in blue and they will direct you to that specific topic.

Posted By: KarenE

Re: I’m new! Lots of questions! - 12/23/18 02:17 PM

:welcomegc:

You have quite a few gliders indeed, and neutering is very responsible.

Do you actually live in the state of California? I ask because gliders are illegal there, and this applies throughout the entire state.

Please look for the flashing envelope next to your name in the upper right hand corner. I will send you a PM regarding this.

Again, welcome to our little family wave
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I’m new! Lots of questions! - 12/26/18 05:19 PM

Ladagyver,
Thanks for the response! I do have a wheel but I don’t see them use it! They didn’t have one in the cage that I was given when I got them. I ordered one off of exotic nutrition. They won’t touch it! And thanks for the cage info. I have been looking at the double wide one that you sent already. I think that will be my choice!

As for diet they snack on different fruits and veggies, fresh and dried, meal worms, crickets, chicken, hard boiled eggs, they love baby spinach and avocado they they get their vitamins from pellets (mazuri) I order through my vet because they will not eat anything with the powdered form vitamins in or on their food. I’ve tried different concoctions that the vet and online and others have suggested, like ice cube tray things and different mixes of blending foods they won’t eat it! What do you feed? I’m always trying to find new ways of feeding.

Thanks!

Re: I’m new! Lots of questions! - 12/26/18 05:20 PM

Ladagyver,
Thanks for the response! I do have a wheel but I don’t see them use it! They didn’t have one in the cage that I was given when I got them. I ordered one off of exotic nutrition. They won’t touch it! And thanks for the cage info. I have been looking at the double wide one that you sent already. I think that will be my choice!

As for diet they snack on different fruits and veggies, fresh and dried, meal worms, crickets, chicken, hard boiled eggs, they love baby spinach and avocado they they get their vitamins from pellets (mazuri) I order through my vet because they will not eat anything with the powdered form vitamins in or on their food. I’ve tried different concoctions that the vet and online and others have suggested, like ice cube tray things and different mixes of blending foods they won’t eat it! What do you feed? I’m always trying to find new ways of feeding.

Thanks!
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: I’m new! Lots of questions! - 12/26/18 07:41 PM

I feed Critterlove plus and the recommended salads. I make 1 salad batch and when they eat all that I'll give a different salad mix next batch. Mine don't clean their plate very often, and I do find they will eat things they didn't like before. On the nectar, I only feed 2 tablespoons for 3 gliders. If they clean it up, the next night I'll add a half tablespoon more. They usually leave about a half teaspoon in each dish.

This diet has been proven to be a good balanced diet for gliders. If you're interested in trying it, they do offer a sample pack.

https://www.critterlove.com/critter-love-free-sample

As a snack I feed Happy Glider pellets (Pet-Pro brand) during the day.

https://www.pet-pro.com/index.php?m...d=7&zenid=apjnm3omd4glr4hdr4lgb7u6f5

Critterlove does offer the same pellets.

You didn't ask, but I don't use a water bottle for them, I use a water silo and a small dish of water. I change out the latter everyday.

Re: I’m new! Lots of questions! - 12/28/18 04:03 AM

Thanks for the help!!!!!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL