GliderCENTRAL

New Sugar Glider owner

Posted By: Echo

New Sugar Glider owner - 04/08/21 06:25 AM

Hello!

My name is Echo and my new and very first babies are going to be arriving very shortly, I know I have to wean them onto a new diet slowly, but I am looking for recommendations and advice for a full diet plan. Thank you!
Posted By: KarenE

Re: New Sugar Glider owner - 04/08/21 01:31 PM

:welcomegc: So glad to have you here.

Do you know what they are eating now? It is possible they are already on a good feeding plan which you could just continue. If not we will be glad to help you decide what is best for them.
Posted By: Echo

Re: New Sugar Glider owner - 04/08/21 10:01 PM

I know they are on a blended diet, I asked and am waiting to get a complete and exact list. When I do I will post it here smile
Posted By: KarenE

Re: New Sugar Glider owner - 04/08/21 11:56 PM

:thumb2:
Posted By: Echo

Re: New Sugar Glider owner - 04/10/21 03:42 AM

Ok, so they are on a pellet diet with fruits and veggies. The pellets are from GBG. I reached out and asked about calcium additives and they said enough was in the pellets which does not fill me with confidence. I really want to get them on the right diet as soon as possible. I know I need to ween them onto something new slowly
Posted By: KarenE

Re: New Sugar Glider owner - 04/10/21 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Echo
Ok, so they are on a pellet diet with fruits and veggies. The pellets are from GBG. I reached out and asked about calcium additives and they said enough was in the pellets which does not fill me with confidence. I really want to get them on the right diet as soon as possible. I know I need to ween them onto something new slowly


I am having a senior moment with 'GBG', however, saying enough is in the pellets even with fruits and veggies is definitely not right, IMO along with many others.

There are several routes you can go. If you want easy for you and something your gliders should love, I would suggest Critterlove Complete along with the salad mixes rotated as recommended. The Complete can be mixed and frozen or mixed nightly. Whichever is most convenient for you.

There is also the BML Feeding Plan which has been used by many for a very long time successfully. This one is more restrictive with the fruits/veggies that can be fed and calls for very specific ingredients. It must be made and frozen.

Either one of these can be started with your gliders without having any adverse effects. Some owners start their gliders slow on a new diet and others start them immediately just leaving a few pellets in their cages. Most have found the old is left untouched for the new offering.

In the meantime while waiting for the Critterlove or making BML, you can offer them plain chicken cooked with no spices along with fruits/veggies or scrambled/boiled eggs.

Let us know how it goes for yours.

Hope this has helped.
Posted By: Echo

Re: New Sugar Glider owner - 04/10/21 06:44 PM

thank you so much! If you have any other advice for a new owner I am a sponge! Getting them out of their cage and into their bonding pouch this morning was like a Charlie Chaplin Skit
Posted By: Echo

Re: New Sugar Glider owner - 04/10/21 07:28 PM

Do the diets you suggest above have enough calcium? Or should I be adding that to the list, it is all very confusing and most websites contradict each other
Posted By: KarenE

Re: New Sugar Glider owner - 04/10/21 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Echo
Do the diets you suggest above have enough calcium? Or should I be adding that to the list, it is all very confusing and most websites contradict each other


Both of these diets have been formulated by their creators to have all the nutrients needed for sugar gliders while being a balanced diet IF fed according to the directions. Any deviation from their directions will throw off the balance of the plan.

The Critterlove plan is a little more forgiving with the fruits/veggies which can be fed along with the staple while the BML plan is extremely restrictive. It allows for no substitutions.
Posted By: Feather

Re: New Sugar Glider owner - 04/10/21 11:56 PM

You can feed the Critterlove diet rotating through the salad mixtures. We use #1 and #3. Put the GBG kibble in a dish on the side for them to nibble on.
When you're out of the kibble you can either get the kibble on the Critterlove site which is Happy Glider kibble just rebranded or get Happy Glider Kibble from PetPro.

I feed Critterlove Plus with the salad mixtures as stated above and my gliders are part of the continued testing of the diet. We just did a blood draw a couple months ago. My vet is happy with the results.
It is the most tested diet out there.
Posted By: Echo

Re: New Sugar Glider owner - 04/11/21 06:08 AM

Thank you! If any of you have any advice for bonding too that would be amazing. I have read that you need to not pick them up and just leave their pouch in there and take it out in the morning to wear, and about tent time, but how can you do tent time with out physically taking them out of the pouch? I have also read about giving them some yogurt on the tip of your finger to help with bonding
Posted By: KarenE

Re: New Sugar Glider owner - 04/11/21 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Echo
Thank you! If any of you have any advice for bonding too that would be amazing. I have read that you need to not pick them up and just leave their pouch in there and take it out in the morning to wear, and about tent time, but how can you do tent time with out physically taking them out of the pouch? I have also read about giving them some yogurt on the tip of your finger to help with bonding


Your bonding questions should be posted in our Bonding & Relations Forum to get the appropriate attention.
© 2021 GliderCENTRAL