GliderCENTRAL

Exercise for gliders with hind leg paralysis

Posted By: Winter

Exercise for gliders with hind leg paralysis - 10/21/13 02:25 AM

Hi everyone,
I rescued a pair of female gliders a few months ago. Both were basically wild, came to me eating ensure (not Darcy's Diet just ensure) and babyfood. Both female, one we call Clara, she is about 2years 8 months old, and her daughter Clover, she is about 1 year 8 months old.
After I got them I felt that I only got them to see how many times I could run them to the vet. I was not aware of all the issues they had, and I called the person I got them from and she wasn't either. However, after numerous vet visits/stayings they are finally free of gairdia, roundworms, and mites. We also found that both of Claras hind leg and paralyzed and both back feet are malformed. While Clover has 1 hind leg that is paralyzed are also both of her back feet are malformed as well.
Ok here is where we stand right now, after trying 6 different cages, they now are in a degu cage. It is barely 3 feet tall, has plastic shelves, plastic ramps, and a plastic bottom that I put carefresh bedding in. I hate having them in such a small cage, but it is the cage that is working the best right now for them to get around so I am going with it. We tried numerous cages but if the shelves, ramps or bottom were of any sort of bars or squares, Claras back legs fell through. They are just learning to climb up and down the side of the cage instead of requiring shelves and ramps, but I have them in there as she gets tired. I also have fleece sewn shelves in between the plastic shelves and she was falling off the side of the cage a lot and just got over a sprained front ankle (for lack of technical terms). I do tent time everynight since a week after I got them, they have yet to come out of there pouch. If they are in there cage they will now come to my hands and I can pet them, but anything outside there cage they are still very scared.
The vet is concerned with there weight, as they are very fat, but we are running out of ideas to try as far as exercise goes without Clara getting hurt. I have tried 4 different kinds of wheels, 3 of them Clara fell out of as for the wodent wheel... well they can't fit through the holes to get into it... The vet asked me to stop with wheels for the time being, for Claras' sake, and ask around to see what other glider people have tried. I couldn't think of a better place to ask so here I am.
Clover does walk a bit better then Clara does, but she is fatter then Clara is so, not much better. She doesn't fall near as often however. I considered separating them for awhile so Clover could at least have the wheel, but the vet and I agreed this was a very bad idea after watching Claras near panic attack from being away from Clover just long enough to cut Clovers nails.
They are now on Instant HPW, with either boiled egg or chicken and fruits and veggies. Treats for them are very very minimal with there health issues. I have started to use figs for them if I give them a treat as they are high in calcium. The vet has me giving them extra protein and extra calcium for the time being.
Anyway, sorry for my very long post. If anyone has any ideas or anyone that has went through this before and willing to share some knowledge, please let me know.
Thanks
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Exercise for gliders with hind leg paralysis - 10/21/13 03:25 AM

What about a glider treadmill? They are made by those that make the Fast Track wheels. It might be an option.
http://www.go-fast-track.com/spinzone.html

I also would talk to Val Betts.( Jackie_Chans_Mom ) she has gliders with severe paralysis and would have some suggestions for you.

Posted By: Winter

Re: Exercise for gliders with hind leg paralysis - 10/21/13 07:21 PM

Thanks so much for the reply. I printed off the treadmill and am going to show it to my vet and see if she will let me try it.
I also forgot to mention that ihave tried giant hamster balls as well, it was a total fiasco lol.
I will send a message to Val and see if she would be willing to talk to me.
Thanks again
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Exercise for gliders with hind leg paralysis - 10/21/13 08:30 PM

Val's phone number is in her profile. Call her. You may need to leave a message but she'll call you back.

Jackie Chan is a glider that wasn't supposed to live because of the severity of his paralysis. He is doing really great now. It is incredible to see how far he has come.

The Treadmill works differently than a wheel as it can work with their whole weight laying on it. They can use their front arms to make it move until their back legs start functioning. Because they are not actually running or jumping, it is lower impact on the rest of the body while still allowing some exersize.

Val also has a forum that is more dedicated to medical issues, including HLP and permanent paralysis you should check out.
http://thesweetspot.forumotion.net/
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL