GliderCENTRAL

Ideas for my paralyzed glider

Posted By: AmberLamps

Ideas for my paralyzed glider - 11/23/15 11:12 PM

I'm having a hard time finding ideas (type of cage, cage setup, accessories, toys, etc) for my sugar glider. I know there has to be a ton of things I can do/create/modify/etc for her, but I'm just drawing a blank. Here's the list of her issues:

-Her hind legs are paralyzed (due to an injury a few days before I got her).
-She is still healing from a pouch infection, the vet removed a good bit of necrotic tissue from the top of her pouch almost down to her cloaca.
-Her hind feet are gone (from either self mutilating or another glider); vet removed some bone & dead tissue, one foot was amputated above the ankle and on the other foot her small toes are gone (still has big toe and part of foot).
-And if that wasn't enough, all of the claws on both of her hands are gone. They didn't get caught in anything, they just fell off one at a time within a 2-3 week period. When each nail fell off it looked like each fingertip had a tiny new nail but now each one has a soft covering(? I don't know how to describe it, but I have a good picture of it. It looks 'crusty' but actually feels soft like her skin).
All that being said, she is healing well. smile

Here's some other info:
-She is almost finished with 4 weeks of antibiotics.
-She pees & poops normally.
-Her appetite is good.
-She is on the Priscilla Price diet (plus extra protein per vet)
-Instead of water she drinks plain pedialyte
-She is in a small cage, by herself.
-She wears an e-jacket all day & night and she tolerates it very well (I let her out of it a few times per day for a few minutes at a time while I watch her like a hawk)

*I'm posting this on a couple other forums as well hoping someone out there has some good ideas for me smile
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Ideas for my paralyzed glider - 11/24/15 01:59 AM

First, :welcomegc:

I haven't had a glider with special needs but there are some very intresting stories listed under this topic.

When you exit out of this thread, go straight in to "Special Needs" and you will find an archive.

Just scroll down, and take a peek.

Please keep us posted, I am learning as much as I can, for just in case and helping others here.

I'm glad you found us and please post pics on her nails and of her. We love pics!

Hopefully someone who has a special needs glider will be able to specificaaly help you with your baby's needs. wave
Posted By: AmberLamps

Re: Ideas for my paralyzed glider - 11/24/15 07:11 PM

Thank you for the reply smile
I emailed Val and we will be talking on the phone tonight.
Here's a picture of her nails:
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Ideas for my paralyzed glider - 11/25/15 03:04 PM

Oh, sweet baby. So glad you have connected with Val.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Ideas for my paralyzed glider - 11/25/15 05:49 PM

Val is the best one for paralyzed gliders. She has a thread on Jackie Chan here in this forum. You should read it.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL