GliderCENTRAL

Shelves issues

Posted By: Ittermat

Shelves issues - 12/18/14 02:36 AM

Hey... I have a question- the shelves for the cage I have the plastic doesnt go to the end all the way.. so theres about...maybe a half inch of space (or less all over depending on where the plastic part is if it moves.) around the edge... what would be the best way to patch this up so my babies dont get their feet caught in it and hurt themselves?
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Shelves issues - 12/18/14 03:03 AM

Can you post a picture of the shelves and the cage? I cannot picture the problem.

I have these metal corner shelves that are supposed to be attached by a bolt and wing nuts to the cage wire but the metal frame of the cage prevents them from fitting tightly into the corner. This prevented using them with the bolts and wing nuts.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19232

I used Zip ties and attached the shelves on one of the metal horizontal frame pieces going through the holes that were meant for the bolts.

Re: Shelves issues - 12/18/14 03:13 AM

sorry this is a picture of the shelf.. (it needs to be cleaned off though...I even put colored fabric under it so you could see the gap i mean.

the plastic piece moves...so the gap changes sides...places... i basically wanted something to put all the way around it to keep it safe no matter where that plastic was.

Re: Shelves issues - 12/18/14 03:42 AM

If the plastic moves within the metal frame - what is holding it in place to keep it from coming out all together?

Can you drill holes in the plastic and use zip ties to fix it in place on the frame permanently?

If you cannot stabilize it I would NOT use it at all. The sliding plastic could cut off a glider's toe or even a whole paw if the plastic edge is at all sharp.

Is this shelf one that came with a specific cage or something you are just trying to make work? How does it attach to the cage?

Re: Shelves issues - 12/18/14 03:47 AM

I has hooks on the bottom (you can see them at the top-) that hook into specific holes in the sides of the cage. I was basically asking for something safe to use around the edge.. but if there isnt anything (like tape... Or whatever) then I just wont use it.

Re: Shelves issues - 12/18/14 03:53 AM

If the plastic moves freely your gliders will probably knock it out any way so you might also have to worry about it falling on one of them.
Posted By: Terry

Re: Shelves issues - 12/18/14 04:02 AM

I wouldn't use it at all. There are better shelves available, depending on your cage, if need to use any. A lot of glider keepers use fleece cage sets for resting and landing places. A solid or wire shelf can come in handy to add another level to place a toy or offer food, but they're not a necessity. I would look for something like a corner shelf like Candy linked (that's what I currently use) or something more rectangle that reaches front to back if you can find one for your cage size. Check out the sugarglidersuperstore or Exotic Nutrition, they also have little wire decks in a couple of sizes as well, although I've not seen them in person, I'd link them, but on my tablet now.

Re: Shelves issues - 12/18/14 04:06 AM

I dont have to worry about it falling out- the back is completely secure with horizontal bars... theres no way for it to fall out of there.

but I just wont use them thanks ^^
Posted By: Kris_N_Zoe

Re: Shelves issues - 12/18/14 06:24 PM

If you can sew, it's really easy to make corner hammocks for them to sit, lay, play, snack, whatever on. If you can't, you can always order them. thumb
Posted By: Terry

Re: Shelves issues - 12/18/14 06:49 PM

Here are links to shelf options, if they fit your cage.

wire shelves
These come in two sizes

sun deck
I thought they had another size, but not showing here.

Candy linked the corner shelf platform I believe.

Or can make or buy fleece items.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL