GliderCENTRAL

Pocket Pets I-home

Posted By: alixdor

Pocket Pets I-home - 05/17/15 09:06 PM

Question for all cage experts,

Pocket Pets I-home mentions we can never know if a cage is safe since they are made in china but they also (From what I can tell) never say where their wire mesh is made. Anyone know? It's also PVC. wasn't there an issue not long ago with a chemical used in PVC? Maybe I'm getting my facts confused.

Who makes the pocket pets mesh? Wonder if I can purchase it and make a cage myself.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Pocket Pets I-home - 05/18/15 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: alixdor
Question for all cage experts,

Pocket Pets I-home mentions we can never know if a cage is safe since they are made in china but they also (From what I can tell) never say where their wire mesh is made. Anyone know? It's also PVC. wasn't there an issue not long ago with a chemical used in PVC? Maybe I'm getting my facts confused.

Who makes the pocket pets mesh? Wonder if I can purchase it and make a cage myself.

I would trust the HQ brand of cages, although they are made over seas they are good cages with a baked enamel finish.

You are correct, there was a problem with the PVC coated cages. The coating caused the deaths of several gliders.

There is still the toxic coated wire out there, I can't remember the name of the company that made it. There is a coated wire that is safe, but I am not taking the risk and I have replaced most of my wire cages with the HQ cages.

The ones I have that are made with the coated wire are older cages from before the toxic wire problem started.

Re: Pocket Pets I-home - 05/18/15 02:20 AM

what is the hq brand?
Posted By: Feather

Re: Pocket Pets I-home - 05/18/15 02:44 AM

Here is a link to a HQ Flight cage: HQ Flight Cage
Posted By: josefine

Re: Pocket Pets I-home - 05/18/15 06:07 PM

Our cages have been bought from Exotic Nutrition. We are happy w/them.
Suncoast sugar gliders also sells them, but there aren't any shelves w/hers.
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Pocket Pets I-home - 05/20/15 12:16 PM

Yes, there was an issue with PVC coated cages, it was wire purchased from Klubertanz wire. It is STILL an issue. They tell you right on their website do NOT use their wire for the use of small animals.

Martins have also changed from using PVC coated wiring to doing powder coated for sugar gliders.

Pocket Pets are the ones that forked out literally thousands of dollars to do the testing to try to find the source of the toxicity on the wire when there was an issue, not only with their cages but with Martins cages and anyone else who had cages made out of that wire as well at that time and replaced cages with safe wire.

There is a company out there that has had extensive testing done, CE Shepard (I Believe is the name) on their pvc coating to make certain it is safe for the use in small animal cages. That is the stuff that Pocket Pets uses and the stuff that others use. So yes, you can use it, but honestly, even though they had testing done, I am not certain how often it is done, and with as many gliders that were lost due to this stuff, I would personally never use the stuff myself. Just not worth the risk.

Besides, after time, plastic of any kind holds smell....just like woods do.

Re: Pocket Pets I-home - 05/26/15 08:36 AM

peggy I've seen your cages, they look really neat too. I don't want to sound like an idiot lol but they say powder coated. I'm just wondering with what. or does powder coated always imply a specific material?
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Pocket Pets I-home - 05/26/15 11:16 AM

You do not sound like an idiot for not knowing what powder coating is. It is actually a very good question and one that comes up a lot.

I have saved the best link that has helped to describe it over the years and hopefully it will help you too.

What is powder coating and what is used?

Re: Pocket Pets I-home - 05/26/15 07:23 PM

wow thanks lol that made it so simple smile
© 2021 GliderCENTRAL