GliderCENTRAL

fleece

Posted By: brobrawn

fleece - 07/21/15 11:39 AM

So I am still pretty new to sugar gliders. My babies will be here on the 7th of August. But anyways I went into the pet store for bedding and water bottles and that type of thing. I was talking to one of the employees that owns rescues and I was told to be aware of the type of fleece I use. That some fleece has little hooks that there nails can get caught in. This is the first person I have heard this from so I'm just wondering what you guys think. I am aware that the cheaper fleece will have to be replaced more often but should I even risk using it at all or do you guys think it os safe until I see some wear in the fabric?
Posted By: KarenE

Re: fleece - 07/21/15 12:38 PM

Truthfully, I'm no fleece expert, but I've always used the anti pill fleece because it resists resists pilling and frays. I think this is what most vendors will use as well.

It will be more than what you have purchased, but you can buy any amount you wish.

Re: fleece - 07/21/15 01:04 PM

Do you think it would be ok to use that fleece until it gets some wear or do you think I should just go buy the more expensive stuff to be on the safe side. Also a lot of what I bought is being made into a cage cover. So they wouldn't have but so much contact with it.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: fleece - 07/21/15 01:32 PM

Just be sure to watching for any fraying in particular (around the edges). You wouldn't want them to get caught in some of the fabric.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge about fleece will come along later with more information for you.
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: fleece - 07/21/15 06:46 PM

The fleece I usually warn folks to stay away from is the very thin baby fleece that is more of a woven fabric that has been brushed to fray the thread and make it fluffy like fleece.

It does not have the same uniform texture that the polar or anti-pill fleece does.

If you have a Joann's or Hancock fabrics store - check their Remnant bins - there is almost always fleece in smaller size pieces 1/2 to 3/4 yards usually marked half price. These are plenty large enough to make a glider pouch or two and a hammock with some to spare for "blankies".
Posted By: Feather

Re: fleece - 07/22/15 02:53 AM

I prefer the Anti-Pill fleece. It is also easier to work with.
Posted By: Kris_N_Zoe

Re: fleece - 07/22/15 02:47 PM

The polar and blizzard fleece looks pretty but has tons of lint, anti-pill lasts longer and is not all linty. And I don't think anti-pill is as stretchy, holds it's shape better than fleece that will become stretched out. I think blizzard fleece is the most expensive because it's so fluffy and not pilled looking(yet).

Re: fleece - 07/23/15 03:02 PM

Thank you for the info!!! Helps allot! Never really knew there were so many types of fleece.
Posted By: SuggieSamantha

Re: fleece - 08/01/15 06:32 AM

I haven't used any of the nicer fleece yet but I've been using the cheaper fleece (not the baby fleece) at Wal Mart for my bonding pouches, ropes, poms, etc. After about a week I have noticed the pouches pilling a little, but nothing they can get caught in, yet. The toys, which get a little less use as I still use the pouches daily, haven't shown much wear. I do notice it doesn't hold it's shape as well and is kinda stretchy. I'm curious as to what bedding you got? The only ones I know to be safe are the pellet beddings used for horses, and paper towels. I know pine, cedar, and woodchips are all supposed to be poisonous. I'd be concerned about them eating the cotton kind used for hamsters.

Re: fleece - 08/01/15 09:58 AM

I am currently using puppy pads my tray is low enough that they cant reach down and grab it. Those are supposed to be good.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL