GliderCENTRAL

Why is a Silent Spinner not good for gliders?

Posted By: SuggieSamantha

Why is a Silent Spinner not good for gliders? - 08/31/15 01:27 AM

Hey guys!
I've been looking into wheels and right now I have a Silent Spinner, I believe it's the 6.5". I know the 12" aren't goo because of the wheels on the back but what's the danger with the 6.5"? Also I live in Houston and EVERYONE seems to think that Wodent Wheels are the way to go and are "designed for gliders" yet I always hear about them breaking tails. frown Thoughts on this?
Posted By: Feather

Re: Why is a Silent Spinner not good for gliders? - 08/31/15 03:07 AM

A 12 inch wheel is the way to go for gliders, the safe wheels are Raptor, Fast Trak and Stealth.

The 6 1/2 inch silent spinner is just to small and it will collect their poop and urine, as does the wodent wheel.

If you click on the word wheel it will take you to the database of vendors.
Posted By: Ittermat

Re: Why is a Silent Spinner not good for gliders? - 08/31/15 03:08 AM

From a specific post a wonderful friend Showed me- (Nightmare fuel incarnate) I learned that wodent wheels are not good wheels for sugar gliders...They get caught in them..and they can kill them.

I personally have a raptor wheel for my boys.
Posted By: SuggieSamantha

Re: Why is a Silent Spinner not good for gliders? - 08/31/15 03:51 AM

Thanks for the replies but no one has answered the original question: WHY are they not safe?
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Why is a Silent Spinner not good for gliders? - 08/31/15 05:40 AM

You already answered the question - the geared wheels on the back of the silent spinner can entrap glider tails or paws if a glider goes behind the wheel while another glider is running. These wheels also have holes along the edge that can trap a glider nail or toe while the wheel is spinning.

The small spinner is too small for gliders to jump in. Gliders do not run in wheels as hamsters do - they leap across the center of the wheel to stretch their entire body out.

The smooth surface of the spinner does not allow the gliders to grasp the side of the wheel as they jump across. Frequently a second glider will use the mesh on glider safe wheels to hand on to go for a ride while another glider keeps the wheel going - then they trade places.

I have some photos of gliders in action on my web page along with links to help you locate glider safe wheels.

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/FAQ.html
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL