GliderCENTRAL

Are these cage liners safe?

Posted By: FurMom

Are these cage liners safe? - 11/06/15 07:09 PM

I believe these are available in the store here, so am wondering if they are safe to use with gliders.

Cage Liners

Posted By: Feather

Re: Are these cage liners safe? - 11/06/15 08:31 PM

Yes, they are safe to use in the drop pan where the gliders can't reach them.

I don't use anything in my drop pans. I take them to the kitchen once or twice a week and wash them and run everything down the garbage disposal. (Check for toy parts first).
Posted By: Philwojo

Re: Are these cage liners safe? - 11/06/15 09:05 PM

Someone pointed me to these and I have been using them for a month or so now and really like them, check them out, they work great for gliders in my opinion. But as Feather (Kim) stated you can just leave the pan alone and clean it up too.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+15268+5909&pcatid=5909

Phil

Re: Are these cage liners safe? - 11/07/15 01:40 AM

I think Houdie's previous mom used newspaper, but he reaches down to retrieve things that he drops so I don't think he should be touching the ink. I've heard it's toxic, which makes sense.

Thanks for the input and ideas. smile I had also seen the liner papers and then got to thinking...there's got to be a cheaper way to do that. Which brought me to the following idea:

http://partyvalue.com/Newsprint-Sheets-Unprinted-18in-x-24in-Sheets-25lb-Bundle-1-count/

Not sure if how many sheets come with it and I'd have to use two sheets at a time.

Re: Are these cage liners safe? - 11/07/15 02:15 AM

Todays newsprint is made out of a soy based ink. It is safe to use in the cage, just know if he gets his mitts on it he will shred it.

Several parrot rescues give their parrots old phone books to shred.

Re: Are these cage liners safe? - 11/07/15 06:41 AM

Thank you, Kimberley. That's good to know. smile
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Are these cage liners safe? - 11/07/15 05:40 PM

You can't get any cheaper than using nothing and simply washing the tray several times a week wink

Re: Are these cage liners safe? - 11/07/15 06:12 PM

Haha! Good point, Karen!:D

Re: Are these cage liners safe? - 11/07/15 06:39 PM

I have 11 to 16 cages to clean pans on depending on rescue population here, so no papers and washing it down the garbage disposal is easy peasy.
Posted By: Terry

Re: Are these cage liners safe? - 11/08/15 03:43 AM

I don't have a garbage disposal (wish i did though), but I use bare tray as well. I use paper towels and small dust pan to wipe and scoop every morning and then spray with v/w solution and wipe again with another paper towel. It doesn't take that long to do.
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Are these cage liners safe? - 11/08/15 09:10 PM

The 25 LB plain newsprint would probably work well - but check out the POSTAGE - it says oversize shipping which means the actual cost might end up being more than the package of FosterSmith Cage liners.

The Foster Smith cage liners are very thin but lightly waxed paper so they hold up very well and even when wet can be rolled up for removal of all the solid waste and food scraps from the bottom of the cage.

Wet newspaper tears very easily so you may end up dumping the waste while lifting it to the trash can for disposal The individual sheets of the news pring paper are also small so you would probalby need two sheets at least to cover the bottom of the cage pan.
© 2019 GliderCENTRAL