GliderCENTRAL

safe space heaters

Posted By: terri

safe space heaters - 12/29/15 04:41 PM

Hi! I'm moving my gliders to a different room for several weeks (renovation) and would like some ideas on safe space heaters for the new room. It is a spare bedroom, but it seems cooler to me than the room they were in. I would appreciate your input.

Thank you,
Terri
Posted By: nicoleejeanne

Re: safe space heaters - 12/29/15 04:50 PM

I use this one. I really like it because it oscillates can be set to a specific temperature and it will automatically shut off once it reaches that temperature. It also has a timer (up to eight hours) that you can set it to shut off. It keeps the room at perfect temperature (in my opinion). I also got a 20% off coupon so that took about 10 dollars off it. smile

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/pr...rd=space+heater

Re: safe space heaters - 12/29/15 05:03 PM

Thank you so much! Going to pick one up today:)
Posted By: FurMom

Re: safe space heaters - 12/29/15 05:14 PM

I've also been looking into space heaters and the radiator-type seem to be the safest. You have to check with each brand/model, but they have tip over features...will shut off when tipped. Some turn off no matter which direction they tip, others only cover tips to the left/right. Also, some have lower surface temps than others.

But anyways, no space heater is truly "safe," but radiator heaters are the safest option.

Re: safe space heaters - 12/29/15 05:20 PM

Here are a couple examples:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pelonis-1500-...7-14A/206021790

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DeLonghi-Safe..._-204491546-_-N

Re: safe space heaters - 12/29/15 07:28 PM

Thank you FurMom. I will definitely compare the two.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: safe space heaters - 12/29/15 10:25 PM

Beth,
Be careful of the radiator type heaters. They can get very hot to the touch. I had one intended for my glider room and quickly decided against using it when I realized how hot it got to the touch when turned on shock

Re: safe space heaters - 12/30/15 05:03 AM

Thanks. Yes, some are cooler to the touch than others. I am very hesitant to use space heaters.

Re: safe space heaters - 01/06/16 07:09 PM

Hello!
In regards to my question about safe space heaters; I have purchased the Lasko tower heater and the Pelonis oil filled radiator type heater and have been trying each one out before placing the gliders in the room with the heater.
Please bear with me as I am aware and have been told by my husband that I am somewhat "over protective" when it comes to my gliders, but I have ongoing questions about both heaters...
The tower heater is great but I am concerned that the heat it blows out is too much. I face it away from their cage, but would like other owners input.
My favorite is the radiator type heater. It warms the room nicely (gliders aren't in the room yet), but we can smell the oil when it is heating. Is this odor dangerous for the gliders?
I would appreciate any input.
Thank you so much!
Terri

Re: safe space heaters - 01/06/16 11:19 PM

I read something about running the radiator heater for awhile to get rid of that burn off. It won't continue to smell after that. Does it say in the instructions? I would probably do that in a room away from the gliders. Just in case.

I'm curious...does the Pelonis get hot to the touch? Did you test it for shut-off safety if it tips? Just tip it each direction, side by side and front and back to see if it shuts off. What model did you get?

I had to laugh at your comment about your husband saying you are overprotective of your gliders! I'm a bit overprotective too. smile How can you not be, right?

Oh! I found another heater that I thought was really cool. I meant to post earlier about it, but I completely forgot. What do you think of this one?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Econo-Heat-400-Watt-Wall-Panel-Convection-Heater-603/202882716

Re: safe space heaters - 01/10/16 03:54 PM

Did you all see the link I posted in my last post above? I'm wondering what you guys think of that heater.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: safe space heaters - 01/10/16 04:55 PM

This is the first time I've seen these type heaters. They look very nice, and the reviews are positive.

There was one review stating the heater gets hotter than expected, and I wonder just how much space is between heater and wall dunno We all know gliders have a way of squeezing in places we never thought possible shock How quick could you get one of these OFF the wall if you needed to in a crisis?

Just some random thoughts I had. It does look nice but I have a tendency to think of the negatives when it comes to gliders. You should see me in the dollar store rofl
Posted By: Erica111412

Re: safe space heaters - 01/28/16 06:50 PM

Would a reptile lamp work? If you had a couple on each side? On outside of cage of coarse
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL