GliderCENTRAL

Glider proofing electrical cords?

Posted By: OzzySugarGlider

Glider proofing electrical cords? - 12/21/16 01:08 AM

Hi again smile
I sure have posted a lot the last couple of days, haha

I'm only a few steps away from having a completely glider proof apartment (except the kitchen), and one of the only things I'm missing is all the different electrical cords...
The main concern is a big gamer computer in my living room with loads of wires going all over the place, how do I manage to glider proof that???

I was thinking maybe a square mesh/solid box of some sort that could fit over the entire computer with tight holes for the wires going out and then maybe just cover the wires. But then what about the wire on the mouse? And to the lighting?

Re: Glider proofing electrical cords? - 12/21/16 01:36 AM

Could I potentially just sow something to cover all the chords?
Posted By: Feather

Re: Glider proofing electrical cords? - 12/21/16 03:40 AM

You don't want to do anything that could potentially cause a fire.

Why do you want the whole house glider proofed, you really should supervise out of cage time, there is so much little gremlins can get into. They will find the one item that isn't glider proofed.

Re: Glider proofing electrical cords? - 12/21/16 10:15 AM

Well of course they are going to be supervised when having out of cage time wink
I live in a small studio apartment, so really the only room I could let them out to play in would be the living room, and aren't you supposed to be covering up chords etc with chord protectors??? Or do you mean that it's fine if you just supervise very carefully?
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Glider proofing electrical cords? - 12/21/16 11:09 AM

As long as you're in the same room with them it's fine.

They will want to be as high as they can climb most of the time.

I'msure you already know about not cooking when they are near by.
Posted By: ShyMayahMom

Re: Glider proofing electrical cords? - 12/22/16 07:43 PM

Unless you're planning on leaving them alone to free roam, I wouldn't worry about the cords too much unless you have chewers. If you're worried about the computer area, I would just unplug the main power strip so they don't electrocute themselves if they happen to run over it.

I let mine out to play in a clean/uncluttered room once in a while. For the most part, they're uninterested in being too far away from me. Most of the time they just play ON me. Lol. I unplug appliances from any outlet we won't be using and just let them run around. As Lady Magyver said, most of the time they want to be up high anyway.

Also, a baseball cap helps. Lol. I constantly have the little buggers using my head as a crash pad.
Posted By: Stef333

Re: Glider proofing electrical cords? - 12/24/16 03:42 PM

The baseball cap is a great idea! I always put my long hair up for play time to avoid letting them get tangled up in it. However, Jabberwinky did hit me square in the face with a flying leap this morning! Sometimes there's nothing you can do if they're intent on an ambush. wink

Do you put caps on empty electrical outlets? My gliders don't seem interested in chewing cords, but I keep envisioning them sticking their little hands into an outlet and ending up fried.

I haven't gone out in search of outlet covers yet, but I wonder if anyone else has had a problem along those lines...?
Posted By: Feather

Re: Glider proofing electrical cords? - 12/24/16 06:49 PM

Better safe than sorry. They aren't expensive.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL