GliderCENTRAL

pelletized bedding

Posted By: BYK_Chainsaw

pelletized bedding - 01/12/17 06:15 PM

My wife has started using new bedding in the bottom of the cage that was recommended by a facebook glider group. the bedding is placed in a drop pan below the bottom of the cage but still close enough for them to reach with their hands between the bars.
The bedding is Natural Pine Equine pelletized bedding. She got it from a farming store and the pine is suppose to be safe according to the glider group.

can anyone verify this is safe bedding?
Posted By: KarenE

Re: pelletized bedding - 01/12/17 06:29 PM

Pine is not safe for gliders.

Really it isn't necessary to use anything in the drop pan IF you clean it out every day or so by simply wiping out with a damp cloth or rinsing out after the solid waste is removed.

If you must put something in the drop pan, you can use newspaper (which is safe), a piece of fleece cut to size which can be washed, paper towels, etc.

Most people, I believe, prefer to use nothing and clean the tray ever day or so.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: pelletized bedding - 01/12/17 07:10 PM

Even though pine isn't safe for gliders, I would also be concerned with what chemical is used to press the sawdust together.

My gliders taste everything within their reach.

I've had rats, gerbils and hamsters a very long time ago, and at first it was difficult for me not to put litter in the glider drop tray. But I got over it...
Posted By: Srlb

Re: pelletized bedding - 01/12/17 08:47 PM

Actually the Equine Pine IS safe.

It has been kiln dried which removes all of the phenols that are a danger to our animals.

Another one that is a good one to use is Cozy N Fresh that can be found at Tractor Supply.

ETA the following: Please read.
http://www.planetwiseproducts.com/cozynNpHowIt.htm
http://equinepine.com/what-is-kiln-dried.html
Posted By: Feather

Re: pelletized bedding - 01/13/17 02:00 PM

I am one of those that prefers nothing in the drop pan. I have a hose that slips on the faucet for the kitchen sink and I just take them all out to the kitchen and stack them on the counter behind me. I sit on a stool and wash everything down the sink with the disposal.

Give it a quick was and rinse, put it on the towel on the floor to dry. I have 19 cage pans to do, so usually I take the laptop to the kitchen to watch netflix while I am doing pans.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: pelletized bedding - 01/13/17 02:19 PM

BYK,

How easy are the pellets to change? Does it help with cleaning? How much do you put in the tray?

Feather,

Omg! Sounds like your chore is much easier at the kitchen sink. I dump my one and only tray out the back door, tapping it on a tree, then in to the shower it goes. I can't even imagine your laundry day!
Posted By: KarenE

Re: pelletized bedding - 01/13/17 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Srlb
Actually the Equine Pine IS safe.

It has been kiln dried which removes all of the phenols that are a danger to our animals.

Another one that is a good one to use is Cozy N Fresh that can be found at Tractor Supply.

ETA the following: Please read.
http://www.planetwiseproducts.com/cozynNpHowIt.htm
http://equinepine.com/what-is-kiln-dried.html

Thank you for this information, Peggy, which I'm sure is new to many of us.
Posted By: Srlb

Re: pelletized bedding - 01/13/17 02:32 PM

I love that they were able to do this!!

We change out our trays once a month here. And that is only because of the food they drop in it.

It kills all odor for sure. The Cozy-n-Fresh is cheap too.
Posted By: BYK_Chainsaw

Re: pelletized bedding - 01/13/17 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Ladymagyver
BYK,

How easy are the pellets to change? Does it help with cleaning? How much do you put in the tray?

Feather,

Omg! Sounds like your chore is much easier at the kitchen sink. I dump my one and only tray out the back door, tapping it on a tree, then in to the shower it goes. I can't even imagine your laundry day!

my wife just got it this week, we used 20 lbs ($5 for a 40 lbs bag) for the bottom of 3 cages. The pellets look like they will just pour out when its time to change. My wife just put enough in tray to cover the bottom. So for the last 5 days cages have smelled nice.

I think the every day quick cleaning sounds like a good way to do it to, should keep out the smell and any bacteria build up. My job is to PLAY with the glider, my wife gets all the hard work HA HA (kidding) We just made 4 gallons salad mix today together.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL