GliderCENTRAL

is wood not good for cages smellwise?

Posted By: drum

is wood not good for cages smellwise? - 05/08/17 11:39 AM

hello mom and dads. the cage I invested in was the madagascar cage, and said it came with "wood climbing post" which I assumed where like a wood branch of some sort but in actuality was just 2 wooden dowels you can stick on the bars horizontally.

I was reading on a few places that wood isn't a good thing to put in cages because it just soaks up the smell of urine and stank like a sponge. Just wondering if anyone has these "wooden climbing posts" and did you keep em in or take them out? I'm thinking of taking them out, but that removes 2 items of interest for them in the cage. Thanks for your time.
Posted By: Srlb

Re: is wood not good for cages smellwise? - 05/08/17 12:22 PM

If you are going to include wooden things in your cages, it is recommended to put in branches off trees. Such as apple branches, they love these...

Wood is very porous so it can indeed soak up the urine, however, if washed properly, just like with any other item in the cage it can indeed be reused.

Allow wood item to soak in vinegar/water solution for 30 minutes. Scrub down (no soap) rinse well, dry in sun.
Posted By: Aric

Re: is wood not good for cages smellwise? - 05/08/17 03:48 PM

I have a similar cage with similar soft wood dowels. I use them, knowing that they will soak up more scent than other options. So far they've been OK, and washing them is fairly easy.
Posted By: Terry

Re: is wood not good for cages smellwise? - 05/08/17 11:08 PM

Hi, I agree with the others. I personally had the Madagascar cage and used the wood dowels. I did use fleece covers, (I had an old repti-atrium frame and orderes fleece covers). I also alternated them, using one in the cage at a time, while the other got washed and air dried. I also use v/w solution to clean with, they lasted a while. I'm sure if you soak them and air dry, alternating them, they should last a while. I have just begun using wood in my gliders cage, so far, so good. But you have to be diligent about cleaning/soaking them.
© 2019 GliderCENTRAL