GliderCENTRAL

Opinions About Future Housing?

Posted By: AlyCatz

Opinions About Future Housing? - 03/27/18 09:47 PM

I'm going to need a cage(s) for my future breeding pair's joeys', but I want opinions before that time comes on which cage I should invest in. (The cages can be found on Exotic Nutriton if you would like to view further details.)
Miki currently lives in "The Brisbane Cage" as a solo elder glider. (about 6 years old?) I feel like this cage is acceptable for him since he does not enjoy gliding or moving around too much to get where he needs to go. However, I would be iffy allowing more than 2 gliders live in the cage. It seems a little cramped for multiple gliders..
Tequila and Graydy live in "The Congo Cage" together as future mates. I'm comfortable with the amount of space they have to hop and play in. There could even be a couple more gliders with the amount of space they have.
For their future joeys, I am conflicted between 2 Congo Cages (1 for each gender) or what is named "The Double Wide Cage". The DW cage be separated in half for managing between male and female joeys/prevent inbreeding. HOWEVER. If the cage is split in half, each side as about the same size as the Brisbane Miki lives in. According to the description page, it says a Brisbane could hold 2-3 gliders comfortably. At the rate sugar gliders produce joeys, would it even be worth a DW if you could only hold about 3 females/males on either side? (Reminder that I also mentioned I feel it could be a "getting cramped" size for multiple gliders!) I'm thinking 2 Congos might be the best route, but again, I would like opinions if anybody has the time! Thanks in advance! ^_^
Posted By: Feather

Re: Opinions About Future Housing? - 03/27/18 11:24 PM

I three of the cages pictured. I do not have the double wide and I can tell you it is a pain to take outside and wash. It does not split in two to take outside.

I have 2 to 4 gliders in the Brisbane cages, 3 to 6 in the Madagascar and 4 to 6 in the Congo.

My gliders really don't jump all over in the cages, they like their wheels and that is where they party at night.
Posted By: Claralice

Re: Opinions About Future Housing? - 03/29/18 02:46 AM

The Madagascar is a great, roomy cage imo.
Posted By: Hydrus

Re: Opinions About Future Housing? - 03/30/18 12:20 AM

My 2 are all about the freedom wheel so I'm with Kim on that. I have the Madagascar and they seem to love it.
Posted By: Terry

Re: Opinions About Future Housing? - 03/31/18 01:29 AM

I've had 2-3 gliders in Madagascar and Brisbane, both are fine for up to 4. It's nice to give them some out-of-cage play though. I also had a Lrg. Sturdy (like Congo), it was nice and large, but I had complications that caused me to downsize to Brisbane, it wasn't an issue with my gliders.

But I have only personal pet glider(s), now down to single. Perhaps for breeding, the Congo would be the route to go. Critter Nation would be more expandable though, with possible separation if needed, but my concern would be the open front when you open the doors with multiple gliders. I think more than 4 in there would be hard to keep someone or a few to get loose with the CN Double-Wide.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL