GliderCENTRAL

Gallery

Posted By: gliderdad79

Gallery - 01/14/11 09:36 PM

Back at the end of November, as you may of remembered we had hard drive failures. We announced on our facebook page that there was data loss and it seemed to only have been in the gallery section of GC. We lost all images that were in the gallery and due to an over site, we did not have a backup of the images. I had kept the same backup procedures that Tom had in place before I took over and unfortunately it did not include the gallery images.

I did however have a backup of the gallery images from our old server when we moved to the current in November of 2008. I reinstalled the gallery, imported the database, after I brought in the images from 2008. Theoretically it should have worked, matching up the members in the database to their albums but I was getting errors. I tried several times and with different ways but the failures kept coming.

At this time, I decided to delete the database that held the information about user accounts, their albums, etc. I did this for several reasons. First we literally had thousands of users registered at the gallery and only hundreds of member galleries. The large number of registered users was due to people needing to be registered at the gallery for the photo of the week and now we are not using the gallery for the entries anymore. Second it was easier to redo than to try and save the user accounts.

I went through each album we had and renamed them all to the users they belonged to. I than went through every album and removed the ones that are no longer members of GliderCENTRAL. After that I recreated every album and than re uploaded every single photo to it's correct album, which took some time to do. We have everyones album form the beginning up till Nov 2008 as well as all gathering up till Nov 2008. Now what needs to happen is I will enable registration in the next few days, you will need to register at the gallery using your GliderCENTRAL display name (the name shown above your avatar when posting). Once you have done that, if you have an existing gallery, send me a pm and I will set the permissions for that gallery to you and you will have your gallery back. Requests for new galleries and requests to reset permissions for existing galleries will take some time so please don't expect it to be right away, I will get to each one as quickly as I can. I can only guess I will be hit with a bunch of requests when it reopens.

Unfortunately, we did loose some albums including gatherings, medical, housing, and members between Nov 2008 and Nov 2009. I have spoken to a few people who have those medical, housing, and gathering photos and we will work to get those restored. As for the member galleries created during that time will need to be redone. If you are the owner of any of the medical photos or have gathering photos, please contact me and we can get those back.

Since I have redone the gallery and GliderCENTRAL I have gone through and made better backups, scratching the old one. We now run three backups, one for the databases, one for the sites, and one just for the gallery images. They are stored in two separate locations so in the event something should happen down the road, theoretically we should not have as bad or any data loss.

We thank everyone for there patience and understanding.
Posted By: hpyhwn2003

Re: Gallery - 01/14/11 10:47 PM

Thanks for the update Eddie.

I have some photos of both the 2009 and 2010 SGGA. And the same years for the A Glider's Christmas. If you set up folders for the the 4 respective events and let me know when you're done I'll uplaod what I have.

I was wondering if you also lost the videos in the videos section you had just started prior to the data loss? I still have that long BML making video on my computer. Tho f you still have it on that site you sent me too upload it to that would be the best way to replace it. Or I could send you a link to it as I did finally get it uploaded to my website.

Re: Gallery - 01/14/11 11:35 PM

I still have the videos on my computer wink I will let you know about the rest when I am ready.
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Gallery - 01/15/11 06:30 AM

Thank you for all your dedication and hard work Eddie. If you still have the videos, I guess you still have those videos I gave you?

Re: Gallery - 01/15/11 06:32 AM

Lets see if I can cat this right, jip roflmao Yes I should have them too laugh
Posted By: Bozeman

Re: Gallery - 01/15/11 06:37 AM

Jip

LOL

Re: Gallery - 01/15/11 06:41 AM

OH, Eddie can speak Afrikaans! Nice! Oh and Eddie, I am not so clueless when it comes to linux, I get the "cat" tounge

Re: Gallery - 01/15/11 06:50 AM

Can ya tell, Casper is teaching me good roflmao

Re: Gallery - 01/15/11 06:54 AM

Jip, I can tell. roflmao

Re: Gallery - 01/15/11 08:11 AM

He's teaching me slowly but i'll get there, lol
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL