GliderCENTRAL

Whatcha Doing, Eddie

Posted By: KarenE

Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/16/08 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: KarenE
Wonder if he's finished dunno

You done with all that messin' with the server question

You know I'm not one for complaining, but first we had slow days, next we had no days, then low and behold we had snow days bring

You finished yet confused
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/16/08 08:00 PM

Eddie's a tweaker!

He's not happy unless he's messin' with SOMEthing electronic! shakehead

Let's give him one of those circuit board kits for Christmas, so he'll leave our server alone!
roflmao

I hope Eddie knows that we all love him for his hard work! He helps us all be the GC addicts that we are!
mlove
Posted By: gliderdad79

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/16/08 08:23 PM

Well, since you asked.....

A little over a year ago we announced we were moving the forums over to our current server while we consider some hardware changes. For many years GliderCENTRAL had two dedicated servers that we had full control over, one at a hosting company and one that came to me two years ago. Last December we eliminated the one at the hosting company and have been running off of one server.

About three weeks ago Karen, Ellen, and I discussed backup plans. The decision was made and Ellen approved the decision to build a new server. I received the parts and have been busy ever since, between holiday decorations, board upgrades, the new server, and other projects that will come later down the road.

This is the reason many have noticed some board interruption of being slow and stuff. We pretty much have all the software loaded on the new software as well as the databases. The slow times were caused from doing backups and transferring of the data.

The way things would be set up after I redo our current server is that both will be identical. This would mean if one went down for major issues, with a few buttons hit and database updated the other would take over while the other is being fixed.

Our current server is about 5 or 6 years old, the new one has a lot of hard drive space and more than enough memory to keep us moving forward.

This is all being backed up by a battery backup system that will keep GliderCENTRAL online for roughly 40 minutes before it turns the server off automatically so there is no data loss.

I have had a lot of help from my good friend James from vnc web design with the setup of this. Soon it will be time to start testing things and permanently moving things over. I plan on having everything on the new server within a week, so here is advanced warning that you may notice down time, errors, and such. We will try to do it on off hours but I cannot promise that. We want to thank you all for your understanding, patience and support.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/16/08 08:29 PM

just a huge thank you for all the work you do to keep those of us addicted to GC "satisfied"....... mlove

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/16/08 08:36 PM

Aww Eddie! You're great help! hug2
Posted By: nancy1202

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/16/08 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: gliderdad79
We will try to do it on off hours but I cannot promise that.
Just wondering, when exactly are off hours for glider folk??? My peak hours are probably 1-3am! grin

I used to be a left-brainer IT geek back in my other life, and would like to personally thank you for all you are doing to upgrade, back-up, and maintain the server(s)! clap

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/16/08 09:26 PM

Eddie, you're the best techie we know! heart
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/16/08 09:36 PM

Thank you for ALL you do (even when we don't know you're doing it)! hug2
Posted By: Karin

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/16/08 10:45 PM

Eddie is the best....not only does he take care of all of GC he helps out others in other areas of tech stuff and never complains!!!

Karin
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/17/08 12:42 AM

agree That he does! We can't thank him enough for all that he does for us! hug2
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/17/08 10:48 AM

Eddie, you're THE man!!! hug2
Posted By: chattrbabe

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/17/08 10:58 AM

If you keep food in him and refreshments, I think he'd be okay! I know I would be! ^^ Eddie - roflmao - I have NO off hours!!! roflmaoroflmao Though, GC being down, may give me time to clean my sewing area up a bit! .....NAHHH I'll sit here and refresh until t comes up!!!! tantroflmao ^^

Thanks!!! hug2

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/17/08 11:46 AM

grin Eddie - I just personally want to thank you for making our lives easy going as f ar as GC is concerned - without your help in many areas I'm not sure what we'd do - Thanks again and have a Happy Holiday -

Sue

Owned By &
Mom To

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/19/08 12:20 AM

Advanced warning, later this evening we will be working on the servers so there will be down time. Not sure exactly what time it will be, but should be after midnight eastern time

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/19/08 12:27 AM

Eddie when you have time can you approve me to the photo gallery. I applied about a week ago. Thank you!

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/19/08 12:29 AM

Have you tried login in? There is no registrations pending

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/19/08 12:37 AM

I have a few times let me go try again

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/19/08 12:38 AM

Nope still not working. Should I try to register again?

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/19/08 12:40 AM

Yes please with the name tinkerbellesmomm

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/19/08 12:41 AM

Done, thank you Eddie

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/19/08 12:41 AM

try login in now wink

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/19/08 12:42 AM

You are the best Eddie thank you!

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/24/08 12:08 AM

Sometime after midnight tonight I will be working again and you will not be able to access the site or will see errors.
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/24/08 12:13 AM

Ha ha! Too late!

I shoveled this afternoon!

But ... it is still snowing. I guess I can go shovel more after midnight. My neighbors won't mind ...

thumb
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/24/08 05:12 AM

Originally Posted By: gliderdad79
Sometime after midnight tonight I will be working again and you will not be able to access the site or will see errors.

Bump
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/24/08 05:34 AM

oh no....
Posted By: konotashi

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/24/08 05:35 AM

NOOOOOOO!!!! cry

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/24/08 07:11 AM

Eddie!! Noooo! How long! OMG! Will you give us a warning.. Like.. it's past midnight now!
When will it be back??

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/24/08 11:19 AM

Ok, I got most of the stuff needed done. The site is up and operation on the new server as well as the gallery. I still need to finish up some permissions and setup email stuff but I can do most of that without shutting down. We should be moved over to the new server within a few days. Sorry for the down time.

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/24/08 03:17 PM

It's ok Eddie smile You're still loved roflmao

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/24/08 05:19 PM

Is that why I'm getting the "You should not be here" text?

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/24/08 07:20 PM

Where are you getting that?

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/24/08 10:57 PM

It's gone now, but I was getting it at http://www.glidercentral.net

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/26/08 05:54 PM

I will be closing the board shortly to do some more testing
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Whatcha Doing, Eddie - 12/26/08 06:01 PM

thumb