GliderCENTRAL

Hissing ~ New Adventure

Posted By: Cricket

Hissing ~ New Adventure - 11/09/16 10:35 AM

Hello, I have been on here before asking questions, very grateful for all the information here on Glider Central.

I received a 8 week old baby I had her for 2 weeks now, She is different in temperament then the other 2 we have there 6 months old and in separate cage. then what she is in, they never have hissed at me.

She crabs when woken up or scared but she Hisses at me "ALOT" and mostly when I have her on me she seems upset. what does hissing mean ?

She also doesnt crab anymore when I put my hand in cage or open the door and I been putting treat on my arm she will walk up my forearm and eat it and i pull my arm out slowly till she out of the cage and then she jumps on me runs all over me hissing till i get her.

Should I be doing that Or should I not let her run on me yet till she bonds ? SHe has jumped on the floor ( 3 times and ran all over ) I know now how she acts befor she jumps off me.

Since she has been on the floor and running and was scared as i chased and got her ( know now im not supposed to chase her but it scared me she is fast) will it set back the bonding ?

sorry so many questions . also my oldest daughter and 2 kids moved in temporary and is little loud at times should i put her in my bedroom until she bonds like the other 2 have ? so the noises dont upset or bother her and might help her to bond better or faster ?

Thank you for your help I appreciate it alot : )
Posted By: Feather

Re: Hissing ~ New Adventure - 11/09/16 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Cricket
Hello, I have been on here before asking questions, very grateful for all the information here on Glider Central.

I received a 8 week old baby I had her for 2 weeks now, She is different in temperament then the other 2 we have there 6 months old and in separate cage. then what she is in, they never have hissed at me.

She crabs when woken up or scared but she Hisses at me "ALOT" and mostly when I have her on me she seems upset. what does hissing mean ?

Hissing can mean many things. a bark hiss is something the females do when they are in heat. They hiss at each other for who knows what. Hissing while urinating could mean a Urinary Tract Infection, hissing while defecating could mean they are constipated.

She also doesnt crab anymore when I put my hand in cage or open the door and I been putting treat on my arm she will walk up my forearm and eat it and i pull my arm out slowly till she out of the cage and then she jumps on me runs all over me hissing till i get her.

Should I be doing that Or should I not let her run on me yet till she bonds ? SHe has jumped on the floor ( 3 times and ran all over ) I know now how she acts befor she jumps off me.

Since she has been on the floor and running and was scared as i chased and got her ( know now im not supposed to chase her but it scared me she is fast) will it set back the bonding ?

When she gets loose on the floor I would use a piece of fleece to catch her, that way she doesn't associate your hands with being caught. I use a pouch, turning it inside our and putting my hand in it. I also have a net that I had for my small parrots, it works great.

sorry so many questions . also my oldest daughter and 2 kids moved in temporary and is little loud at times should i put her in my bedroom until she bonds like the other 2 have ? so the noises dont upset or bother her and might help her to bond better or faster ?

Does she seem stressed by the noise and commotion? Do the children try to open the cages? If so I would put her in your room.

Thank you for your help I appreciate it alot : )

Re: Hissing ~ New Adventure - 11/10/16 08:46 AM

Hello, Thank you Great ideas and I will defiantly be using the pouch from now on and will look for a net that sounds alot easier. I didnt know there was so many Hissing meanings
she isnt using the restroom when hissing seems to only do it instead of crabbing or the crabbing. No the noise doesn't seem to bother her but she dont crab but still stays at the back of the cage and just watches them all. I been using twisty ties to keep the cage closed wasnt sure what to use seems to work and thank you again .
Posted By: Hutch

Re: Hissing ~ New Adventure - 11/10/16 10:15 AM

Cricket,

Yeah, as many have pointed out, hissing can mean a lot depending on the situation & body language with it. Without knowing more & going by my crazies, it sounds like you've reached the stage where she's use to you being around (no crabbing) but still uncertain of you. Maybe like a 'shoo, shoo.' Mine did that for a short time after the short crabby stage.

Re: Hissing ~ New Adventure - 11/11/16 08:36 PM

Thank you One of my other gliders I got back in may had a snake tail a few times and this one hissing lol is certainly different to get used to smile
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL