GliderCENTRAL

Cage Solutions

Posted By: Alan

Cage Solutions - 03/30/17 10:39 PM

So I've been posting all over and finally gotten the new cage I ordered! It's an all living things double cage with the giant doors. My 2 girls love it, and I can fit everything with room to spare inside.
That being said, the door size has been a bit of an issue. After I tried to catch them for their medication a few times this week, they have learned that leaping onto my shoulder as I go for them allows them to make a bid for freedom. While my room has had the outlets sealed off and stuff moved so they can't get into it, truth is they are so small they can get into almost any nook and I almost lost one today this morning took me 10 minutes to find her and throw a fleece on her. Does anyone have an idea of how to keep these closed. I thought maybe a fleece slider of some kind with a slit in it to reach my hand through.....maybe some fringe? I love the giant doors for setting things up and putting them back in each night plus cleaning is so easy but until they have bonded with me which could take a long time it is difficult to get to them without them escaping.....
Thought someone may have encountered this issue before.
Posted By: Takaia

Re: Cage Solutions - 03/31/17 03:28 AM

I love this cage, I have the same one, but mine are slow to jump out when I open the doors so I don't have to worry too much, and the one who will occasionall jump out always jumps on me first so I can prevent him from going anywhere dangerous. I wonder if making sure they have yummy food or treats in the cage each time you open the doors will incite them into staying in the cage, and eventually they'll do that without the food?
Posted By: Feather

Re: Cage Solutions - 03/31/17 05:33 AM

I don't have those kind of cages, I can only suggest that you get a net from a pet store. Get the kind for parrots.

That way if they do hit the ground running you have an extension of your had to get them.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Cage Solutions - 03/31/17 12:44 PM

I like the idea of a treat. How about having them expect a super yummy treat at the back of the cage when you are opening the door. That way if you see one or both are going to make a run for it, just might give you time to close the door.

You are already using the fleece to catch and give meds, so I'm not fond of using a net in addition to stop them from scampering out the door.

Re: Cage Solutions - 03/31/17 02:10 PM

Would you suggest leaving it at first in the back or opening the door and placing it back there? They are slow to allow smells or food from my hand and are usually scampering all over so I'm thinking maybe a treat on each level so when they scamper they find it? I'm almost done with meds and the sickness hopefully so it should get easier? I love the cage and don't want them to think everything is one giant trap but until they feel comfy jumping onto me and hanging out my room is like a giant playground and I'm definitely at a disadvantage. I'll try putting apple in the back in the mornings for a while and see if that draws them back?
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Cage Solutions - 03/31/17 02:50 PM

Is there a way to put it in the back before you open the door? Can you reach the back through the bars? Like to just drop a few yoggies or grape or something like that in.
Posted By: SugDad

Re: Cage Solutions - 03/31/17 03:08 PM

I love the doors on that cage ,if I remember correctly I didn't go with it because it doesn't have a slideout drop tray?

anyway maybe hardware mesh zip-tied to the top and bottom but not together so you can slide your arm through.

Re: Cage Solutions - 03/31/17 06:06 PM

It doesn't have an actual slide out tray no, I just took the bottom tray and laid it on the shelf underneath since that isnt large enough for me to use. That wY I can just pull it out and wipe it or do a quick wipe if need be. I can definitely put some in the back and try to get them to notice them before I open the doors. Hopefully that helps. If not I'll probably try to maybe block off a side or two with wire......I love the space but the slippery little gliders seem to be getting more and more comfortable using my back as a trampoline!! Haha. They seem to like apples the best so I'll toss a few in tomorrow morning before medicine time hopefully it works!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL