GliderCENTRAL

Intact Male with Neutered Male -- Help!

Posted By: glider_b

Intact Male with Neutered Male -- Help! - 07/20/17 12:09 PM

I posted a few days ago about my two gliders meeting, getting along great most of the time, but hearing fussing from the pouch. So I have tried to figure out what they are doing in the pouch that is making the fussing. This morning I saw that my intact male (the older and usually timid glider) is trying to get it on with my younger neutered male. I saw him holding on to his back and his penis was out. The other one was fussing for him to stop. My older glider is not neutered because the vet said he was too old to be neutered, so that is not an option (or is it with a different vet?) Can this lead to a serious issue, like one injuring or killing the other? Will it pass? Do I need to separate them? I'm nervous about it because I'm leaving town for 6 days. I'm having someone watch them but she won't be able to monitor them the way I do. Should I separate them while I'm away? I don't know what to do in the short term or the long term. Help!
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Intact Male with Neutered Male -- Help! - 07/20/17 02:11 PM

In your previous post, I didn't see where you said how old your older glider is or where anyone asked his age. How old is he?

If you are leaving for six days, if it were me, I would separate them since you are seeing this behavior. It could be nothing and will pass shortly with no injuries to the younger, however, why take the chance.

Re: Intact Male with Neutered Male -- Help! - 07/20/17 02:20 PM

The older glider is around 8 years old.

Originally Posted By: KarenE
In your previous post, I didn't see where you said how old your older glider is or where anyone asked his age. How old is he?

If you are leaving for six days, if it were me, I would separate them since you are seeing this behavior. It could be nothing and will pass shortly with no injuries to the younger, however, why take the chance.

Re: Intact Male with Neutered Male -- Help! - 07/21/17 11:44 AM

Sooo....just keep them separated? Anyone else have some suggestions about the long term?
Posted By: Hutch

Re: Intact Male with Neutered Male -- Help! - 07/21/17 03:21 PM

I know my girls just went through a 'domenance' stage recently. It looked much as you described. If he's not hurting the yonger one, them you might try watching to make sure it doesn't escalate. Mine went on for about a week then back to normal.

Just another though.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Intact Male with Neutered Male -- Help! - 07/23/17 02:49 AM

In my opinion an 8 year old glider can be neutered, the vet is just not comfortable anesthetizing an 8 year old glider.

Using a laser to do a pom off neuter takes no time at all.

And the old guy isn't being horny he is establishing his dominance over the younger boy.

I have a friend that has a cage of two neutered boys, when ever one of her females is in heat the dominant make mounts the other one.

I guess I would like to consult with his vet for him, maybe get his vet to talk to mine.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Intact Male with Neutered Male -- Help! - 07/23/17 11:27 AM

How much longer before you go on vacation? Are you seeing any marks on the neutered male?

Re: Intact Male with Neutered Male -- Help! - 07/27/17 01:53 PM

Okay, thanks! I ended up leaving them together during my trip because when I separated them briefly that seemed to upset them more. And everything was fine, my glider sitter said. I got back and they seemed just fine.

Originally Posted By: Hutch
I know my girls just went through a 'domenance' stage recently. It looked much as you described. If he's not hurting the yonger one, them you might try watching to make sure it doesn't escalate. Mine went on for about a week then back to normal.

Just another though.

Re: Intact Male with Neutered Male -- Help! - 07/27/17 01:54 PM

I just got back form the trip and everything was fine when I left them together. I have never seen a mark on either glider. Just the fussing from the pouch from time to time. I guess the fussing alarms me because before I had female gliders and they never did that.

Originally Posted By: Ladymagyver
How much longer before you go on vacation? Are you seeing any marks on the neutered male?
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Intact Male with Neutered Male -- Help! - 07/27/17 01:56 PM

Glad everything went well while you were gone. The stress of their being apart would probably have been worse, so good decision.

Re: Intact Male with Neutered Male -- Help! - 07/27/17 02:00 PM

Okay, I didn't realize it was a dominance thing. I don't know how to find a vet that uses the laser. It's so hard to even find vets who are familiar with gliders. I called around last week and located a few but the staff never know the answers to the questions I have and, of course, the vets are never available to speak over the phone. I can't afford to see 3-4 vets in person to just fine one I feel comfortable with who really knows gliders.

If you have the number for your vet that would be great.

Originally Posted By: Feather
In my opinion an 8 year old glider can be neutered, the vet is just not comfortable anesthetizing an 8 year old glider.

Using a laser to do a pom off neuter takes no time at all.

And the old guy isn't being horny he is establishing his dominance over the younger boy.

I have a friend that has a cage of two neutered boys, when ever one of her females is in heat the dominant make mounts the other one.

I guess I would like to consult with his vet for him, maybe get his vet to talk to mine.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL